• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Advice

steveo1

Coach
A friend of mine had a row with a taxi driver and ended up shoving the driver and kicking his car.
He has been charged with assualt and criminal damage.

He is due to appear in court next Thursday. He has no previous convictions and will be pleading guilty. He would rather not tell his parents (who also happen to be very good friends of mine) if he can help it.
Anyone got any idea of:
a) Will this be a prelim court hearing or the real thing?
b) What sort of punishment will he get?
c) Will he be able to sort of just take the rap and work round telling his parents?
d) Should he hire some sort of legal help?

find the taxi driver.. apologise and offer money as compsensation to drop the charges.

Seek legal advice. A lawyer will be able to answer all of your questions.

Having appeared at magistrates court myself (motoring offences) it may be worth wearing a tracksuit on the day.

When I appeared I was the only defendant wearing a suit and tie and received a much larger fine than anyone else.

Also, make sure you buy the Evening Echo so you can see your name in Court report / In the Courts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo1 @ Dec. 05 2006,11:49)]A friend of mine had a row with a taxi driver and ended up shoving the driver and kicking his car.

He is due to appear in court next Thursday. He has no previous convictions and will be pleading guilty. He would rather not tell his parents (who also happen to be very good friends of mine) if he can help it.
Anyone got any idea of:
a) Will this be  a prelim court hearing or the real thing?
c) Will he be able to sort of just take the rap and work round telling his parents?
Can he not get hold of some free legal advice? You really need a solicitor and short of MtS I dont think anyone can give you proper advice...

a) If the court are thinking about sending him down they will ask for a pre sentence report
b)Either go inside if under 21 he will go YOI Chelmsford I think or community service now called a community punishment order of say around 100 to 200 hours of 8 hours a week any day of your choice.
c)not sure
d)well on the day he will be given a duty solicitor IF needed in this case I should think so!

want to know any more PM me

As an aside there was a chap who's parents thought he had been killed in Thailand when the Tsunami hit.

It turned out he was actually doing time and had told everyone he was going on holiday to Thailand for six months.

In all seriousness your friend should come clean to his parents.

I'm sure they will be angry but I am also sure they will do what they can to help with legal fees etc.

Thanks chaps, he has decided to come clean with his parents and get some legal advice. Will let you knoiw how it goes if its semi interesting

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo1 @ Dec. 05 2006,11:49)]A friend of mine had a row with a taxi driver and ended up shoving the driver and kicking his car.
Jeez, hes going to court over shoving?!

Im sure there are much worse things to be going to court over.

What was the row about anyways? Im curious how one actually manages to get into a row with someone they have just met. But thinking about it, cab drivers can be pr1cks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Dec. 05 2006,12:11)]
[b said:

Anyone got any idea of:
a) Will this be  a prelim court hearing or the real thing?
Can he not get hold of some free legal advice? You really need a solicitor and short of MtS I dont think anyone can give you proper advice...
Sadly, it's completely outside my bailiwick - I know next to naff all about criminal law.

I suggest you speak to someone at a Citizens' Advice Bureau - they can provide you with free confidential advice and may be able to recommend a barrister who can take your mate's case on a legally aided basis (presuming he's eligible).

He should definitely seek advice, though - especially if it's proceeding to a full hearing in the magistrates court (which it may well be).

Matt

Back