• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News AFC Wimbledon midfielder Anthony Wordsworth: Southend United are lacking in character

He threw the ball at his face after they scored.

He also did this to encourage the ref. What was his problem today?
EGs3cX7WoAIeyIJ.jpg

I actually get what OBL is saying about him. He is a really nice guy normally, but he clearly holds a grudge against Southend. And today he's shown a nasty bitter side to him for all to see.

I actually get what OBL is saying about him. He is a really nice guy normally, but he clearly holds a grudge against Southend. And today he's shown a nasty bitter side to him for all to see.

I'm sure he is a nice guy in real life, however he's a dick on the pitch. Why's he got a grudge against Southend? If he should have a grudge against anyone it should be Chris Powell, not us fans? Plus my aforementioned remark regarding his utter disrespect to Col U just proves my point that he's a complete prat, to put it mildly.

EDIT - And OBL he DID disrespect all of us today. You might be able to overlook that due to past good deeds, that's fine. However do you condone the Elvis incident and overly wild celebrations for their second goal? If he wasn't one of your former favourites my guess is you'd be singing a very different tune.

Last edited:
I'm sure he is a nice guy in real life, however he's a dick on the pitch. Why's he got a grudge against Southend? If he should have a grudge against anyone it should be Chris Powell, not us fans? Plus my aforementioned remark regarding his utter disrespect to Col U just proves my point that he's a big of a prat, to put it mildly.

If he had a grudge against Southend surely he’d have tried today instead of being ****ter than all of our midfield, a feat which takes some doing.

He doesn't, he's said as much on Twitter when someone accused him. He's never said bad things about Southend - some of you might see what he said about not having characters as disrespectful, but it's true! Look at those who were here with him - Coker, Ferdinand, Timlin, Barrett, Ranger etc etc.

Those we have now are not "larger than life" people, which is what he was saying, we don't have anyone who can gee the dressing room up.

I didn't see the Elvis incident so can't comment on that - but are we sure it was thrown in malice and not just thrown TO him?

Got me yesterday when the Blue Voice were giving him grief, but they clearly forgot that in their midst is a little boy with autism who loved Woody, and who Woody would always come and get out of the crowd to sit on his shoulders when the players had family out there - never his own kids, always this one little boy.

I don’t get this “it can’t be disrespectful, because it’s true” rubbish!!

My granny smells of **** but it would be very disrespectful of me to just tell her.....

Some of the opinions on here are pure bollocks but if I was to just come out and say it that would be disrespectful too....

Sometimes not saying it actually just shows a level of respect towards people.....a fellow pro for example......

Anthony has always been a wind up merchant on the pitch just like Karl Duguid, they both had a lot of talent but always had that side to their game. Off the pitch in both cases they are great blokes who would do anything for anyone if they could.

I didn't see the Elvis incident so can't comment on that - but are we sure it was thrown in malice and not just thrown TO him?

He definitely threw it at Elvis. We sit behind right hand post in SU, it was right in front of us.

He doesn't, he's said as much on Twitter when someone accused him. He's never said bad things about Southend - some of you might see what he said about not having characters as disrespectful, but it's true! Look at those who were here with him - Coker, Ferdinand, Timlin, Barrett, Ranger etc etc.

Those we have now are not "larger than life" people, which is what he was saying, we don't have anyone who can gee the dressing room up.

Got me yesterday when the Blue Voice were giving him grief, but they clearly forgot that in their midst is a little boy with autism who loved Woody, and who Woody would always come and get out of the crowd to sit on his shoulders when the players had family out there - never his own kids, always this one little boy.

I absolutely agree that off the pitch, Woody is a really nice guy, going beyond the call of duty for other people or for kids, like the example you said. That's why the things he did yesterday surprised me. As for the characters thing, again, I agree, I've already said this before. Now we have rotten apples in the dressing room, rather than characters. Those players in the previous squad liked each other, and had a good bond and atmosphere around the club and at Boots&Laces. There's now a divide in the dressing room. These players don't have that bond. OBL, you know him better than me, if you say he doesn't hold a grudge, do you have any idea why he did those things yesterday?

Think someone is just bitter and twisted because we let him go. He does things like that and people won’t remember his time at Southend they’ll just remember him playing the **** when returning.

I understand the club are in the same low position as us results wise and to beat us 4-1 away from home is a great result. But when you’ve not scored and you’re celebrating like he did just goes to show what sort of person he is. I’m not saying don’t celebrate but don’t over do it like he did. As for the card and Elvis thing again just showing the sort of person he really is.

Didn’t overly rate him when he was with us, has all the ability when he can be bothered and wasn’t injured. I hope in the return fixture once Larsson and Kuyt have worked their magic we can celebrate wildly and give him the two fingers to him.

Notice Pig wasn’t going over the top with his celebrations as he has respect for the club.

Its a real shame our lot backed up his words completely isn’t it ... as the best response to the sort of cr@p Wordsworth was indulging in is to keep quiet and win the game. Elvis showed class again yesterday. He’s one of the very few players we have who can look at themselves in the mirror today and say “you know what, I tried”. I heard many getting at him for his defensive errors but you know what, I’ll take those...as he cares about the shirt.

OBL, you know him better than me, if you say he doesn't hold a grudge, do you have any idea why he did those things yesterday?

As @Colchester and proud! says, he has that side to him. He did it to them when he scored for us. I have no idea about the Elvis thing, Elvis was around the 1st team when he was here. I'm not saying I approve of it, and @Ricey, I'm not "bitter and twisted because we let him go."

There are a number of professional footballers who are nice guys off the pitch and the complete opposite on it. Wordy seems to come into that category. I thought he had a pretty ineffective game yesterday but it didn't matter because the rest of his team mates put in a physical performance with some skill thrown in for good measure. I think that was pretty common during his spell with us. I just happened to turn towards the goal area from my spot in the West Stand as Worsdworth thrust the ball into Elvis. Nasty and definitely not respect for our club so his writings on Twitter are meaningless.

There are a number of professional footballers who are nice guys off the pitch and the complete opposite on it. Wordy seems to come into that category. I thought he had a pretty ineffective game yesterday but it didn't matter because the rest of his team mates put in a physical performance with some skill thrown in for good measure. I think that was pretty common during his spell with us. I just happened to turn towards the goal area from my spot in the West Stand as Worsdworth thrust the ball into Elvis. Nasty and definitely not respect for our club so his writings on Twitter are meaningless.

I bet the person he assaulted after the Christmas Party doesn't think he's a nice guy off the pitch.

And he did so again yesterday, even though he was playing for the opposition. A cracking pix on FB from the boy's mum.

I always rated Woody, he could play. It was just that sometimes he chose not to. But, he doesn't play for us anymore, didn't leave on particularly great terms, is free to express whatever opinion he holds and is employed to secure his current employer three points.

When it was the other way round and he legged the full length of the pitch to celebrate his goal versus his former team (Colchester), he was touted as some kind of footballing God by some of you.

Back