• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Afghanistan poll

Afghanistan:Should we stay or should we go?

• WE should stay until we finish the job

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Get the hell out now or asap

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Basically, should we stay and finish the job(however long it takes and however you define the job)or should we get the hell out now?
FWIW I thought we WERE right to go in but the time has come to get out as fast as we can and set a date too for withdrawal as in Iraq.

I've written to Gordon Brown to complain about our involvement in Afghanistan. He has, fair play to him, taken the time to send me a hand-written reply. I must say it is extremely difficult to decipher, but the one section I can make it in his reply, shows that he didn't like the tone of my original letter as he say I am a little curt.

I've written to Gordon Brown to complain about our involvement in Afghanistan. He has, fair play to him, taken the time to send me a hand-written reply. I must say it is extremely difficult to decipher, but the one section I can make it in his reply, shows that he didn't like the tone of my original letter as he say I am a little curt.

Did he get your surname correct though?

Very Adrian Mole like and droll to boot,:) sir!

As far as I can tell our soldiers are dying in an effort to help a corrupt country with a corrupt government try and sort themselves out.

By one UN estimate, the Taliban raise up to $300-million a year from the drug trade. Retail sales worldwide of Afghan heroin are said by some to be of the order of 200 billion dollars a year

Destroy their Opium fields. Leave the country completely and let them get on with killing each other and if they ever become a military threat, bomb the hell out of the place.

Britain should withdraw and leave it to the Yanks to sort out, seeing as it was them that created the whole mess with forcing the Russia's out and arming the Taliban.

Im not sure what the correct option is in terms of if we actually have a chance of 'winning', but imo we should stay and at least try, or else those who have given the greatest of sacrifises have died for nothing

Destroy their Opium fields. Leave the country completely and let them get on with killing each other and if they ever become a military threat, bomb the hell out of the place.

Thus resulting in the same situation we are in now?

And the cycle starts all over again.

Places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran are not just ruled by governments, they're ruled by religions and you're fighting a losing war thinking you can depose a religion from a nation. Unfortunately, now, I think we're in for the long term...

It'd be nice if the rest of the western world apart from the US and UK did their fare share.

Places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran are not just ruled by governments, they're ruled by religions and you're fighting a losing war thinking you can depose a religion from a nation. Unfortunately, now, I think we're in for the long term...

I echo this. I feel that I could write a hefty overview but am simply becoming tired of the whole situation, there are suggestions for both and history speaks volumes regarding conflict dating back hundreds of years in the middle east.

Did he get your surname correct though?

I don't recall seeing a thread about the whole Jamie Janes incident but FWIW i thought his mother actually disgracefully

Selling her soul to the papers to decry Gordon Brown (admittedly unforgivable) error :stunned: .. i bet her anguish was soothed by a bit of filthy lucre ??

I am not sure if Afghanistan has ever had what we in the West would consider a "democratic" government, and anyone thinking (as Bush & Blair did) that bombing Afghanistan back to the stone age would help, well it didn't they're already there. Afghanistan has proved unconquerable, and the might of the Soviet Army was driven out in the early 80's. Despite what Brown and Obama say & think this war is unwinnable, and while it's not just UK & US forces, it seems it's our troops that are at the sharp end. All the senseless deaths of our troops to protect what has proven to be a corrupt election is the last straw. Therefore, and I acknowledge that our armed forces are the best in the world we should pull out before any more young lives are lost.

Ironically Iraq under Saddam Hussain wasn't ruled by religion, and Al Qaeda weren't in Iraq prior to the invasion, they are now with a vengeance.

Iran is ruled nominally by a President in Ahmedinijad, but it's the Supreme Leader of the Religious Council that calls the shots there. What is IMO proven beyond doubt is that the Iranian people want to be free of the system they are now saddled with. That isn't to say they want to be rid of their religion, the majority want to live in peace with the rest of the world which includes Israel & The Great Satan.

It'd be nice if the rest of the western world apart from the US and UK did their fare share.

Get your facts straight mate and stop reading the tabloids!

USA - 29,000 + 19,000 involved with NATO
UK 7,800
Germany 3,210
Italy 2,800
Canada 2,500And small handfuls of elite soldiers from Singapore, Austria, Ireland, Luembourg & Iceland.

Bear in mind this is just Afgan & not taking into account Iraq, Iran, Pakistan etc

Ironically Iraq under Saddam Hussain wasn't ruled by religion, and Al Qaeda weren't in Iraq prior to the invasion, they are now with a vengeance.

Don't forget that Hussain was involved on a grand scale with Al Qaeda during his reign. This is fact and proven from recently released interviews with Saddam and others involved in the previous 'government'.

Get your facts straight mate and stop reading the tabloids!

USA - 29,000 + 19,000 involved with NATO
UK 7,800
Germany 3,210
Italy 2,800
Canada 2,500And small handfuls of elite soldiers from Singapore, Austria, Ireland, Luembourg & Iceland.

Bear in mind this is just Afgan & not taking into account Iraq, Iran, Pakistan etc

Fair point!

This was always one of the phenomenally stupid invasions of modern history, though it has to be said that we've been spoiled for choice recently. I have no doubt about the valour and competence of our troops, but they haven't got a chance of turning that country around.

You've got the most inhospitable terrain imaginable, unless you're a guerrila of course. You've got the poisoned end of the Islamic stick, you've got a thriving drug trade and you've got a well-trained, well-aimed militia in place.

Then there's history. We couldn't take them in the 19th Century and Russia couldn't take them in the 20th Century and, I tell you what, I bet their interpretation of the Geneva Convention was a little different from ours.

As far as I know, we went there because a Saudi-funded, Saudi-manned team of terrorists may or may not have trained there and a Saudi warlord may or not have lived there. I say 'may or may not' because the people pointing the finger also said that there were WMD in Iraq and if they can't accurately position inanimate objects, I don't think we should take their word on people.

The only problem is that Afghanistan is now such an utter, ****ing nightmare that it's not morally right to zip off into the sunset and leave them to it. To hell with morals, you might say, we're getting a spanking. It's a decision for a wiser head than mine, but I just hope that next time our hopelessly inept rulers send thousands of kids off to get maimed they stop to read a history book or do some research first.

If we're going to stay, and I think we should, then we need to ensure that our troops are properly armed and equipped with the tools to do their job, and with sufficent numbers to carry out their mission. We need to go all the way or go away.

Why do I think we should stay? Firstly, the Taliban are evil men and they must not be allowed to take power. All of you pantywaist liberals who claim to believe in women's rights should think twice before telling me I'm wrong in advocating the annihilation of the Taliban and militant Islam.

Secondly, we shouldn't give the Islamofascists any more reason to believe that we don't have the stomach for the fight. We're constantly proving that we're weak in our tolerance of Islamic dogma (which is rooted in the 12th century it seems) and in the case of the US, that they allow a card-carrying (literally!) Jihadist nutcase to attain high rank in the army tasked with fighting this lunacy, so another pathetic capitulation would show these *******s that they're not just winning, they've won.

Back