• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Age you took your child to their first game

My son is 24 and I had him brainwashed by the time he was 4. I took him to his first game when he was 2...he had no idea what was going on he was bored restless and generally annoying. Sporadically took him to a few games then when he hit 5 was completely into it...boom.

First home game of 92-93 season, under Colin Murphy's brief reign, home to Peterborough.
Sons were 8 & 6, we lost 1-0, even i was bored so heaven knows what they made of it!!.
Have hated Peterborough ever since, for ruining their baptism to Roots Hall!.

my dad would take me every home game from the late 60's first away game was col u might have been 1970 and then Gillingham he also took me to Bournemouth it was an FA Cup defeat I don't remember much about the games in the early days only running about the South bank playing tag and then running on the pitch at the end of the game to try to pat your hero Billy Best normally. most of what I can remember is singing from the north bank and fighting behind the west stand . Stones being thrown at the Crystal Palace fans I remember that and butchers aprons

Couldn't get a babysitter, so took my daughter when she was 3-31/2. She got lifted over the turnstile, Ha Ha Ron, got you there! lol

And she ran up down and around the West Stand terrace. (As you can tell it was a season we weren't doing that well in) lol. Still it was enough to get her hooked on SUFC!!

4 months old...after I split up with her mum I got weekend access..so there was no option ..I don’t go or she comes along...Funnily enough the ground does have a serious lack of baby changing facilities!..did feel weird pushing a pram into the ground....
She did stop me getting in a fight once when I started having a go at someone slagging off the team ..something along the lines you should support through thick and thin...etc
Anyway geezer took offence and offered me out for a ruck round the back of the west ..I pointed at the pram and shook my head in mock disappointment! His quote was “you shouldn’t bring a ****ing baby to the football you ****er”!!....
Anyway baby is 18 this year and the footy has been a real bond when sometimes our relationship got a bit rocky....trips to Rochdale,morecambe on the coach and of course Wembley stand out.... will never forget our joyous hug after that goal!
Baby no 2 was in mummy no2 at her first game at Chelsea...equaliser goes in I’m half going nuts and half trying to be a barrier for my 8 months pregnant gf against the flailing limbs of those surrounding us..what a day!

Vs Barnsley 2019. We lost 0-3 at home to ten men. My daughter was 6 at the time. She still wanted to go back for more, so her second match was a 0-1 loss at home to AFC Wimbledon. She finally got to see Blues score when she went to watch her third game vs Sunderland. She was chuffed to bits as she got thrown up in the air in front of the TV cameras when Humphrys got the winner.

My son was 8, he wasn’t that fussed about football before then. He’s now seen 2 relegations and obviously we only got to one game last season …. so I’m hoping he’ll get back into it again when we’re allowed to go. He did say “right that’s it we’re leaving” at half time once, I have to admit I considered it.

I was 7 when my dad took me to my first game and my son 6 when I took him to his first game

My boy was a season ticket holder by 5 years old until he was about 13 years old, but then one day them dreaded words came " dad I like Spurs and Southend are so boring to watch i don't want to come anymore"
He has never been to a game since, hes now 25 years old lol.

Back