• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Age you took your child to their first game

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
As it’s Fathers’ Day, and the tradition of most of us going to their first SUFC match, or football match in general, is being taken by your father.

I wanted to find out the age you took your son/daughter to their first match. Or the age you were when you first went.

My son is 17 months, so too young to actually sit and watch a game with me, but with season tickets being free for children under the age of 8, I wondered if come the end of the coming season, if that would be an age to take him? Highly doubtful I admit.

Also, I wasn’t sure whether getting a season ticket for someone who may only make 1 game, especially in COVID times and potential crowd restrictions, was fair?

I’d like to get him a season ticket when he is older, and is into football, and would like him to be with me in my current seat, so this would be a way of ensuring that happens in the future.

My son discovered the joys of football during the 2014 World Cup. He'd turned 7 the previous March so he was approaching 7 and a half when I took him to Roots Hall for the first time that August. He's been a regular ever since.

The first game I can remember attending was at QPR - the 'new' Loftus Road end stand was still under construction, which means I was 8 or 9.

My son was 8 weeks and my daughter 12 weeks and they still attend to this day with them both now being in their 30’s.
You could say they were both raised at RH

For me it has always been a family event and still is to this day with us all still sitting together and doing away days together

My son was 8 weeks and my daughter 12 weeks and they still attend to this day with them both now being in their 30’s.
You could say they were both raised at RH

For me it has always been a family event and still is to this day with us all still sitting together and doing away days together

I hope I don't sound patronising when I say that is wonderful.

For GYS Jnr, the indoctrination started with the home FA Cup game against Kingstonion back in 2001.
He has never forgiven me:Hilarious:. Took him all over the country watching games but he didn't see us win until Lincoln at the Mill Stad.

Took my eldest when he was 5…

He hates it. He loves West Ham.
Cant help but feel i’ve my own legs with this one.

I took my eldest boy when he was about a 14 months old.
I was itching to go footy but had to do the baby sitting on a Saturday, as the other half worked on a Saturday.
I turned up with baby In pram 10 mins after kick off, so there would be no crowds to contend with.
East stand black seats at the back is where he had his first match. And now he stands in block W and loves the SUFC home and away.

Dad took me when I was 6 and I did the same with my eldest he was 6 and my youngest when he was 5.

Then son no.2 came along so could only attend a few games per season.
But when my second son was 2 years I would take him and his 4 year old brother to some saturdsy and evening games, but would wait for kick off and then go and find some empty seats in the west stand to watch from.
By half time the kids were extremely bored so use to leave at half time, but 45mins of watching SUFC was better than none.
And now son no.2 also stands in block W, when not working.

I was 6 or 7, was an evening game, and met bobby moore after!

Dont remember much from the game tbh. But remember it being magical.

I was 7 when my dad and Grandad took me, since my uncle threatened to take me to Spurs! Believe my first game was SUFC vs Swansea at home.

Forever in debt to them for avoiding that bullet ?

Rumour has it my old man made my mum walk around roots hall while I was still inside the womb

Took my boy to Roots Hall for the first time when he was 3. Sadly, visits are a rarity but he's a steadfast Shrimper.

First game I took my son to watch was at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup on Jan 3rd 2009. He was just 6. When Clarke scored, I jumped up and ran to the front of the stand. He thought I had gone mad

Must have been a good decision as he has been a season ticket holder since he was 7.

I was 11 when my dad first took me to RH in 1969. My son was 8 when I took him, he has a season ticket as I do. My younger son has always rejected Southend and is a dedicated West Ham fan ☹️

I was around 10 when I first went to see a game, took my two when they were about 5.

Son loves it, daughter hates it.

Always been willing to subject them to torture from an early age and not just watching SUFC, our son went on the Tower of Terror ride in Universal Florida at 4 years old. Character building :Smile:

Back