• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agents

League two last season Swansea spent the most at over £55,000

Second place disappointingly is us, with £40,040

Brizzle were 3rd (they really wasted it
tounge.gif
)

Wasn't that released months back? Most of it went to Freddy's agent which was money well spent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 21 2005,14:23)]Wasn't that released months back? Most of it went to Freddy's agent which was money well spent.
I thought that, but Sky Sports News were talking about it being news so i thought i would post anyway.

Would have been better spent, had we not have spent it, the agents fee i mean, not buying Freddy, obviously

But we wouldn't haver got Freddie had we not paid the agents fees.

I know what you mean but thats the trouble with football nowadays. If you want to buy a good player, you've got to pay good money to people who you might not want to pay money too. Wasn't it much the same story with Mitchell Cole a week or so back?.

The major problems with agents is they have no interest in football, and like as not footballers, their clients. Most could not lie straight in bed and are scumbags. Why more players do not use the PFA to help with their contract or transfer negotiations is beyond me.

I realise that agents are an evil that have to be dealt with, but to all players just answer me this. How many agents have scored crucial goals, match saving tackles or saves?? Then tell me they earn a cut of your money.

There are exceptions but most are like something you would not want to step on.

We actually spent £40,020
tounge.gif

The majority of it was spent on Freddy but we have got a little back from it, what with him playing a major role in our promotion.

Nowadays, you have to pay agents fees or you miss out on the good players. Look at Palace, they refused to pay the agent fees for the signing of Tim Cahill and he ended up joining Everton and firing them to 4th place, whilst Palace got relegated.

Two teams that didn't pay a penny in agent fees were Crewe (Narrowly avoided relegation) and Kidderminster (Who got relegated).

Leeds payed just under £1.9million in agent fees.

unfortunately this is all a part of footballing life nowadays but there is starting to be crackdowns on agents powers which is good news but whether it will work or not is a different matter. Obviosuly dissappointed on the amount we paid agents last season but we have made that back on TV rights for last season by reaching the LDV final and Playoff final. Something we might not of done without Freddy. So its all swings and roundabouts really.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 21 2005,15:17)]The major problems with agents is they have no interest in football, and like as not footballers, their clients. Most could not lie straight in bed and are scumbags. Why more players do not use the PFA to help with their contract or transfer negotiations is beyond me.

I realise that agents are an evil that have to be dealt with, but to all players just answer me this. How many agents have scored crucial goals, match saving tackles or saves?? Then tell me they earn a cut of your money.

I take it you know a lot of agents then?

From my limited association I can tell you that many of them are ex players. Barry Silkman being one of them.

The reason players don't use the PFA is because the PFA only help at a time when a contract is being negotiated and signed. An agent will be there all through the season to iron out any issues, be they football or even personal.

Whether or not they truly earn their money depends on the deal they negotiate. The majority take a percentage of the players 1st years salary as a lump sum (and often this is paid by the player, not the club), much like any other employment agency.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ July 21 2005,16:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 21 2005,15:17)]The major problems with agents is they have no interest in football, and like as not footballers, their clients. Most could not lie straight in bed and are scumbags. Why more players do not use the PFA to help with their contract or transfer negotiations is beyond me.

From my limited association I can tell you that many of them are ex players. Barry Silkman being one of them.

The reason players don't use the PFA is because the PFA only help at a time when a contract is being negotiated and signed. An agent will be there all through the season to iron out any issues, be they football or even personal.

Whether or not they truly earn their money depends on the deal they negotiate. The majority take a percentage of the players 1st years salary as a lump sum (and often this is paid by the player, not the club), much like any other employment agency.
As it happens - yes, and I for one would not hold Barry Silkman up as a shining example of the breed.

Tell me something when you go for a job interview do you take an agent along with you to represent you - no? Thought not.

Do you think the guy who took 2million off the Harry Kewell move was right??

The PFA as the players union are there to negotiate and assist in all their members moves and problems. This includes transfers and contracts, if this is not so why do the PFA act for players as agents.

Unforunately until the problems of agents are dealt with head on people like Zahavi & Barnett will just carry on regardless, unsettling players and reneging on deals. Rio Ferdinand's contract is a prime example if we believe what we hear in the press. Agreed for 100k, then he decides he wants a 110k and now it is 120k. I have no time for Ferguson or Man U fans but I can understand why they are all rightly pi**ed off with this situation.

If a club had the guts they would consign any player like that to the reserves and let him rot for the duration of his contract.

I am sure that no one wants to return to the days of the minimum wage when players were just chattels, but the status quo must be returned, and agents must in some way be neutered.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 21 2005,16:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ July 21 2005,16:34)]
[b said:

As it happens - yes, and I for one would not hold Barry Silkman up as a shining example of the breed.

Tell me something when you go for a job interview do you take an agent along with you to represent you - no? Thought not.

Do you think the guy who took 2million off the Harry Kewell move was right??

The PFA as the players union are there to negotiate and assist in all their members moves and problems. This includes transfers and contracts, if this is not so why do the PFA act for players as agents.

Unforunately until the problems of agents are dealt with head on people like Zahavi & Barnett will just carry on regardless, unsettling players and reneging on deals. Rio Ferdinand's contract is a prime example if we believe what we hear in the press. Agreed for 100k, then he decides he wants a 110k and now it is 120k. I have no time for Ferguson or Man U fans but I can understand why they are all rightly pi**ed off with this situation.

If a club had the guts they would consign any player like that to the reserves and let him rot for the duration of his contract.

I am sure that no one wants to return to the days of the minimum wage when players were just chattels, but the status quo must be returned, and agents must in some way be neutered.
Barry Silkman not a good example of what? You said how many have scored crucial goals etc. Well, to do that they have to be ex players. I was merely pointing out that a fair proportion of them are in fact ex-players.

As for taking an agent along to a job interview. Of course I haven't. I have, however, only got one job from an agency in my life. They did, however, negotiate my salary for me. And let's face it, these are not job interviews. They're exactly the opposite. The club is trying to impress the player, not the other way round. If I was in that situation I would certainly like to have someone there that I can discuss things with, and was a little more savvy than myself.

I'm not even going to start with the Harry Kewell and Rio Ferdinand situations; you seem to be in the know there and I am not. All I know is what I have read in the newspapers, and I wouldn't dare suggest that that was the whole story.

And I will re-iterate, players prefer agents rather than the PFA because the PFA offer a very limited service. All they will do is help with transfers whilst agents deal with everything from them needing a new deal, to a new pair of boots, to a visit from their mum. They'll even take the player out of an evening if the player is at a loose end or needs to talk. Let's face it, if the PFA did such a good job there would be no such thing as an agent.

That's not to say they are all wonderful, altruistic people. There are a number that are bad apples, but that happens to be the same as any other profession and (as with all professions) it is unfair to tar them all with the same brush.

£30,000 of that was indeed on Freddy's agent. I believe most of the other £10,000 was on Guttridge, although I might be mistaken.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 21 2005,19:42)]£30,000 of that was indeed on Freddy's agent. I believe most of the other £10,000 was on Guttridge, although I might be mistaken.
Sounds about right. Now, if between Freddy and Luke's agents they recieved £40,000 who got that extra £20?

Wayne for bringing Kevin Gray over?
wink.gif
tounge.gif

£30,000 was definitely for Freddy though, once again through my 'source', the club weren't too impressed with that either!

Its proving to be a snip at the moment, although it is a bit steep seeing as agents don't really do alot, apart from get more money from the Club for themselves and, occassionally, their clients.

Look at the papers and Sky Sports News - the Premier$hite clubs spent £8million on agents alone. Leeds after all their well documented problems £1.9million.

This is sheer lunacy, this is all money going out of the game to line the pockets of agents.

Back