• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
News of the Screws reports today that Junior Agogo is poised to join an unnamed Championship side this week. After a bid failed in January, could this be us renewing an interest?

The timeline seems to fit. With the Bermuda trip starting on Tuesday, Tilson wanted to bring in new faces before it. I think it could be a distinct possiblity Agogo could be ours.

Definitely has talent and attitude in the Guttridge mould if you believe what you hear from Bristol, sounds like the type of player Tilson can work wonders with... I'll always remember his response to the "Touch of a Rapist" chants down at Roots Hall in the 2nd leg of the LDV.

I would think Agogo was the striker we bid £70,000 for last week. Suspect we have reached agreement on a fee in the region of £100K as he only recently signed a new 2 year deal through to 2008.

If we could land Paul Hayes from Barnsley then I would be made up!

Anyone have any idea whether Tilly is interested in signing him?

I'm only going by NOTW, but the fact we had a bid rejected in January because Rovers wanted to push for promotion says to me it could well be us...

It says one club has had a bid accepted and they are expecting two more Championship clubs to make a move now. I'd be shocked if we weren't one of the three.

Trouble is, Agogo is reputedly on £5,000 a week at Bristol Rovers. There's no way we can - or should - match that.

I'd be very surprised if he was - Rovers are only a League 2 club and they don't exactly have astronomical gate reciepts either....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr. Benedict @ June 25 2006,12:56)]I'd be very surprised if he was - Rovers are only a League 2 club and they don't exactly have astronomical gate reciepts either....
Exactly, but if this is true then he has a choice to make...

Stay at Brizzle in league 2 sitting on a wage packet and never reach his full potential...
Or, take a pay cut and move to a club 2 Leagues higher and test his ability.

I had a feeling (and mentioned on here) that the '70 grand' striker was Agogo.

Any striker worth 70k is either gonna be an unproven player from a higher level, or a decent player from a much lower club - which seemed to fit the Agogo theory quite well.

If we are paying 70k for a striker from a Champ club or above, he aint gonna be much cop is he?!

Would love an Agogo / Eastwood partnership - come on Tilly!!!!

If this turns out to be true I say we should ban the NOTW for breaking the story too early.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ June 25 2006,10:12)]If we could land Paul Hayes from Barnsley then I would be made up!

I played football with Paul Hayes Brother for a few years. Paul was in the forst team at Scunthorpe then but was frustrated at not getting in the side regularly. I asked his Brother whether he was likley to come to Southend and he said "he would never sign for Southend, it is a tin pot club and he hates them" he is a huge West Ham fan and has Orient tendencies. To be honest, even though he wa the divisions highest scorer the following season, I have never rated him. He is a very very moody player and one that I would think would frustrate any manager, even Tilly

hmm, if Agogo is the 70k player we are after and if he's reputedly on 5k a week to me that just doesn't make sense. Any player thats on 5k a week, in the clubs eyes must be worth more than 70k and any player worth just 70k does in no way justify a 5k a week pay packet.

One of those figure is wrong

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ June 25 2006,21:18)]hmm, if Agogo is the 70k player we are after and if he's reputedly on 5k a week to me that just doesn't make sense. Any player thats on 5k a week, in the clubs eyes must be worth more than 70k and any player worth just 70k does in no way justify a 5k a week pay packet.

One of those figure is wrong
Agogo is on a hefty wage, I know for a fact, although I won't reveal the exact figure!

Secondly though, might you not believe that there might be a £70,000 striker + Agogo?  
suspect.gif

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ June 25 2006,14:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ June 25 2006,10:12)]If we could land Paul Hayes from Barnsley then I would be made up!

I played football with Paul Hayes Brother for a few years. Paul was in the forst team at Scunthorpe then but was frustrated at not getting in the side regularly. I asked his Brother whether he was likley to come to Southend and he said "he would never sign for Southend, it is a tin pot club and he hates them" he is a huge West Ham fan and has Orient tendencies. To be honest, even though he wa the divisions highest scorer the following season, I have never rated him. He is a very very moody player and one that I would think would frustrate any manager, even Tilly
Hayes isn't fit to polish Eastwood's boots.

Back