• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Air strikes in Syria

rigsby

Life President⭐
The US have launched a missile attack on a Syrian air base. May and Fallon agree with this action, not sure about Corbyn.

This is different to the standard attack on the ME as Syria has the backing of Russia and China so does have the possibility to escalate.

After the WOMD lie in Iraq, I would like to see more prove that Assad is actually responsible. They are not 100% even sure what gas was used.

Trump has broken ever rule in attacking Syria, done without congress approval

Be interesting to see how this pans out for him, easy to bomb them, problem is the aftercare is far greater to admin

UTS

I don't see this as good news; however the gas attacks ARE war crimes.
Trump has sent a huge message to those who doubted his resolve.
While the response is far from perfect I believe that the fast and demonstrative reaction may well have prevented further atrocities.

Read today someone who believes its a one off tactical Strike by Trump.
Ticks the right boxws
Engages with Syria - as campaigned by many American politicians
Seen to be pushing back against Putin by choosing a military target
Air Strike minimises any US casualties
Military target minimises Syrian civilian casualties .

Domestically a sound move, What affect it will have in Syria is debateable.

As for what can actually be done to curb Assad , is far more difficult, Overthrowing him could well destabilise the area further, creating a power vacuum (see Libya) which could well fan the dying embers of ISIS.

I suppose they would need to unify the rebels then get the Rebels and Assad to put their issues to one side temporarily and join the fight with ISIS.
Then once that is sorted , a structured handover to democratically elected regime needs to be brokered with Assad stepping aside voluntarily.
Far easier said than done though, particularly given the levels of investment required from the rest of the world to avoid democracy failing down the line (like Libya, Egypt etc after Arab spring)

Last edited:
No evidence exists who done what and what was used....breathtaking how the West have decided Assad must be removed from power.

Tony Blair invited Assad to dinner at Downing Street .....Assad must of upset Western leaders..or somebody.

I don't see this as good news; however the gas attacks ARE war crimes.
Trump has sent a huge message to those who doubted his resolve.
While the response is far from perfect I believe that the fast and demonstrative reaction may well have prevented further atrocities.

Nice thought but the atrocities have increased in Syria because we in the west naively encouraged the 'Arab spring'. Now there's a term no one uses anymore. ISIS, who we are told have chemical weapons, may see an opportunity if they use them on civilians.

Killing Saddam has cost 2m lives in Iraq and the atrocities still continue as we speak (type).

As has been said. No proof has been forthcoming as to who was responsible for these attacks and indeed what type of gas was used. Could it have been the rebels knowing full well the west would blame Assad? Yes, possible. Could it have been a rogue element of Assad's military regime taking action without the Ok from the top? Again possible, but unlikely. Could it have been a specific strike order direct from Assad himself? Again, possible but in my opinion also unlikely. Now don't get me wrong, Assad is a dictatorial megalomaniac with the blood of untold civilian innocents on his hands but is he really that naive and stupid enough to actually think the use of universally outlawed chemical weapons on innocent men women and children of his own nation is a wise move and one not without serious international consequences?

Now, on to Trump and his actions. I'll say only this. It's taken the media spotlight off his own gaffs and failings. Look back in history and you'll see a pattern arising here.

Back