• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
I live by the airport and do hear the planes but have no issue at all with them. Good for the town.

However read this.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9795214.Claims_of_noisy_jets_at_Southend_Airport_are_rejected_by_council/?ref=mr

They believe many residents living under the flight path mistake planes flying to or from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and London City airports for those heading into Southend.

Wtf? If people think the planes 20,000 feet up are loud then surely the Easyjet planes at 2000 feet are louder?

Worst attempt at deflection Ive seen.

Personally dont see the problem, we hear them taking off but hardly notice them, but even so such a daft comment!

No problem with it whatsoever...The only time I really notice it is 7am but the ******** next doors alarm has already gone off by then for about a minute and I'm wide awake....feck knows how he doesn't hear his alarm for that long...it shakes my bedroom wall.

I quite like watching them take off and land, quite therapeutic

Easyjet only have 3 aircraft based at Southend and at the moment a maximum amount of 20 inward/outward flights per day, there is also the Aer Lingus turbo-prop aircraft adding I think about another 3 flights per day.

I'm not sure how many flights will end up at Southend but I think it's quite possible there could be 60 inward/outward aircraft flights per day once the terminal is extended. What I will say is that if anyone really can't stand the current noise and if moving is an easy option then do it now, because it will only get worse for you.

I live on the flight path and find it quietly therapeutic hearing the flights inwards at 6:45 and 7:00 every morning. You can always tell it's an Easy Jet plane before you can see it, but the noise is by no means obtrusive.

My parents are directly under the flightpath in Leigh. You don't notice the noise at all really with the windows shut. If they're open then the noise isn't intrusive (i.e. need to shout or turn the telly up). It's no worse than a big lorry going by on Eastwood Road.

The airport is one of the best things to happen to Southend for a long time.

The claim that people are getting Southend flights confused with other London flights is a little strange.

I live on the flight path and find it quietly therapeutic hearing the flights inwards at 6:45 and 7:00 every morning. You can always tell it's an Easy Jet plane before you can see it, but the noise is by no means obtrusive.

You live a fair way from the Airport and inward flights will always be quieter than outgoing (until they actually land and use reverse thrust) but of course the inward flights are much lower. Any outward flights that pass over your house will already have climbed quite high and the noise may be only what you might hear from a flight heading towards London City.

I'm not sure people living near the end of the runway will find 30+ jet take-offs a day very therapeutic. Time will tell, but I have a feeling that some people that are for the airport might slowly change their view over time. But the Airport is here to stay and I have no doubt the noise levels will be within the permitted levels and the number of 12am to 6am flights will most probably be limited to late incoming flights.

Facebook carries some good statistics on the popularity of the airport...

Likes of London Southend page - 2250
SAEN members - 152

so fans of the airport outnumber nay-sayers almost 15 to 1

I live by the airport and do hear the planes but have no issue at all with them. Good for the town.

However read this.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9795214.Claims_of_noisy_jets_at_Southend_Airport_are_rejected_by_council/?ref=mr

Wtf? If people think the planes 20,000 feet up are loud then surely the Easyjet planes at 2000 feet are louder?

Worst attempt at deflection Ive seen.

Personally dont see the problem, we hear them taking off but hardly notice them, but even so such a daft comment!

I'm not sure that it is deflection. Southend is under a number of flight paths (I flew right over Shoebury on the way to Luton on the way back from the Euros) and I think people are more aware of the noise debate since the Airport expansion. It's been documented well but there was one Saturday shortly before the airport expansion where the Council received a number of complaints about the noise of planes coming into land but Southend Airport was shut that week for improvements to the runway to be done.

I'm not sure that it is deflection. Southend is under a number of flight paths (I flew right over Shoebury on the way to Luton on the way back from the Euros) and I think people are more aware of the noise debate since the Airport opened. It's been documented well but there was one Saturday shortly before the airport expansion where the Council received a number of complaints about the noise of planes coming into land but Southend Airport was shut that week for improvements to the runway to be done.
I've flown over Southend several times when going from manchester to europe.

Live very close to the end of the runway. Doesnt worry me at all in fact I like watching the planes come and go. For many years now when there have been a minority moaning about the airport I have always said if it didnt expand it would have gone bust and what would be on that prime site then housing estate or industrial estate. No thanks I would much rather have an airport at least I can dream on a cold wet morning as I watch the jets take off

I'm not sure that it is deflection. Southend is under a number of flight paths (I flew right over Shoebury on the way to Luton on the way back from the Euros) and I think people are more aware of the noise debate since the Airport expansion. It's been documented well but there was one Saturday shortly before the airport expansion where the Council received a number of complaints about the noise of planes coming into land but Southend Airport was shut that week for improvements to the runway to be done.

That is odd !

I guess City Airport isnt far away, cant say Ive ever heard a plane that isnt destined for Southend myself but maybe its different closer tot the Thames.

You live a fair way from the Airport and inward flights will always be quieter than outgoing (until they actually land and use reverse thrust) but of course the inward flights are much lower. Any outward flights that pass over your house will already have climbed quite high and the noise may be only what you might hear from a flight heading towards London City.

I'm not sure people living near the end of the runway will find 30+ jet take-offs a day very therapeutic. Time will tell, but I have a feeling that some people that are for the airport might slowly change their view over time. But the Airport is here to stay and I have no doubt the noise levels will be within the permitted levels and the number of 12am to 6am flights will most probably be limited to late incoming flights.

This is only the BAE 146 (whisper jets) and were used because the runway was so short before the expansion. I'm sure bigger planes will be used now the runway has been extended.

I think the Airbus A320 is the main plane that Easyjet are using at Southend now.

Last edited:
Cool website called PlaneFinder.com.

Can see the flights going over Southend etc.

SAEN asking wether people can claim compensation over the noise. Pathetic.

I lived under the City flight path in Eastwood, a noise but nothing more than that. I used to live under the in flight path in Leigh. If you want noise you need to go back to a Carvair coming into land in the 70s. I love the Heathrow in flight that flies in about 10 miles north of Southend. Always fun working out exactly where you live, waving goodbye to it and realising it will take about 3 hours at best to get back to it. It's a tired old argument but the airport predates most of the residents and we have high unemployment. With business services disappearing (thank god for RBS) I can't understand some people. Most of all the council who have had countless opportunities to do something with the seafront and pier. In the 70s that pulled so many people into the town spending money. Oh and the occasional rockers and mods on BH !

I lived under the City flight path in Eastwood, a noise but nothing more than that. I used to live under the in flight path in Leigh. If you want noise you need to go back to a Carvair coming into land in the 70s. I love the Heathrow in flight that flies in about 10 miles north of Southend. Always fun working out exactly where you live, waving goodbye to it and realising it will take about 3 hours at best to get back to it. It's a tired old argument but the airport predates most of the residents and we have high unemployment. With business services disappearing (thank god for RBS) I can't understand some people. Most of all the council who have had countless opportunities to do something with the seafront and pier. In the 70s that pulled so many people into the town spending money. Oh and the occasional rockers and mods on BH !

Remember being at WHSG and listening to them coming into land or taking off right over Bentalls and the school building! You're right, they were incredibly loud!

Back