• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Akinola - a prime example of the lack of communication

Medway Blue

Living on the Island of Relevancy ⭐
Staff member
Screenshot_20210513-221615_Twitter.jpg
Sorry, but this has really got my back up. Yes, there are more important things going on right now. Yes, it's specifically Ron Martin's communication with us that many fans are rounding on. But this right here is another in a fairly long line of instances of the club not updating supporters about goings on.

Why is this the first that any of us have heard about Simeon Akinola needing an operation? A combination of this not being communicated, plus Phil Brown's comment about players "hiding in the treatment room", is exactly what causes people to add 2 and 2 and get 5. The resulting speculation has led to Simeon Akinola having the knife dug in by fans on here and across social media.

All it needed was a club tweet and all the conspiracy theories could have stopped.

It's things like this that leave a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to this football club, and it seriously needs to improve.

Last edited:
View attachment 15639
Sorry, but this has really got my back up. Yes, there are more important things going on right now. Yes, it's specifically Ron Martin's communication with us that many fans are rounding on. But this right here is another in a fairly long line of instances of the club not updating supporters about goings on.

Why is the first that any of us have heard about Simeon Akinola needing an operation? A combination of this not being communicated, plus Phil Brown's comment about players "hiding in the treatment room", is exactly what causes people to add 2 and 2 and get 5. The resulting speculation has led to Simeon Akinola having the knife dug in by fans on here and across social media.

All it needed was a club tweet and all the conspiracy theories could have stopped.

It's things like this that leave a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to this football club.

Totally agree, thats poor show.

This and the Ranger saga this week... just more bad PR for the club (to the fans).

That explains why he wasn’t playing well, seem to look restricted when moving around the pitch.

Definitely feel that communication needs Improving however we don't know what the issue is so its possible that it was keep reason quiet.Felt it was odd that Akinola was no where near the team and lesser players got onto the bench instead

Definitely feel that communication needs Improving however we don't know what the issue is so its possible that it was keep reason quiet.Felt it was odd that Akinola was no where near the team and lesser players got onto the bench instead

Agreed, we didn't know what the issue was, but I don't even recall PB or anybody else saying that he was injured, or struggling? All we really got was the "hiding in the treatment room" comment, amongst others, which made people assume that's what Akinola was doing. That Brown didn't like him. All along the poor bloke seems to have been genuinely injured whilst the knife has been stuck in.

Agreed, we didn't know what the issue was, but I don't even recall PB or anybody else saying that he was injured, or struggling? All we really got was the "hiding in the treatment room" comment, amongst others, which made people assume that's what Akinola was doing. That Brown didn't like him. All along the poor bloke seems to have been genuinely injured whilst the knife has been stuck in.

Was mentioned on commentary Saturday actually. Someone tweeted in and think it was Glenn Speller that answered about the whereabouts of Akinola and if anyone had asked Brown and he said "the fact he hasnt been in the squad tells you all you need to know about what Brown thinks of him".... something like that.

Seems a bit unfair now!!

Maybe the player didn't want anything mentioned before the op.

Putting 2 and 2 together to come up with a PB conspiracy is already rife this week.

Happy to talk to Cox or Timlin does not mean offering them anything.
Three seniors offered a deal could mean a deal so low, one or two say no thanks.
RD as director doesn't mean an attempt to block Stan.
Ripping up contracts actually means a few need to come back in July with abetter attitude.
PB signing does not mean the biggest budget in the NL
Then we had what does Fagan think about a new coach, when he has been up graded to assistant.

Some of you need to check your arithmetic otherwise it will be an eventful summer.

So who asked PB or anyone else what the situation was? Did they ask? They never reported they asked? What was the answer? That’s the reporting piece.

Fans all assumed? We were all told what assumed meant when we were about 9-
***-u-me...

Of course the former may not have covered themselves in glory, fans of course are never in any conceivable way to be blamed so once again it’s all the clubs fault.

If Glenn said that then it might be a case of creating the news rather than reporting it. If he said it.

Personally, with apologies for being positive, Akinola looks a decent signing, although not a substitute for the no forwards experiment, so i’m Pleased if that means he is going to be helping us get back up next year.

Maybe the player didn't want anything mentioned before the op.

Putting 2 and 2 together to come up with a PB conspiracy is already rife this week.

Happy to talk to Cox or Timlin does not mean offering them anything.
Three seniors offered a deal could mean a deal so low, one or two say no thanks.
RD as director doesn't mean an attempt to block Stan.
Ripping up contracts actually means a few need to come back in July with abetter attitude.
PB signing does not mean the biggest budget in the NL
Then we had what does Fagan think about a new coach, when he has been up graded to assistant.

Some of you need to check your arithmetic otherwise it will be an eventful summer.
Absolutely. It’s ridiculous. And people think it’s a great idea for fans to own football clubs- please, please no..

Actually, it was I who sent the text to BBC Essex Sport asking about Akinola and ANG hoping that at least they had asked the question that was puzzling a few of us. I assumed that someone there might have asked this question. It appears that, as has been suggested, no one did. Which is also a little puzzling.

Actually, it was I who sent the text to BBC Essex Sport asking about Akinola and ANG hoping that at least they had asked the question that was puzzling a few of us. I assumed that someone there might have asked this question. It appears that, as has been suggested, no one did. Which is also a little puzzling.
Not to me regrettably...

Yea - tough position for Glenn as he was just saying it as a fan would say/see it - but someone who you assume hears whispers, I think it was a bit of a careless off the cuff statement to make if he had no facts.

Yea - tough position for Glenn as he was just saying it as a fan would say/see it - but someone who you assume hears whispers, I think it was a bit of a careless off the cuff statement to make if he had no facts.

What was the nature of the injury that Simeon Akinola sustained and that required surgery?

What was the nature of the injury that Simeon Akinola sustained and that required surgery?

I was told he arrived with a problem that was difficult to diagnose or treat? ( what a shock )
It was not just the embargo that delayed him he would not have been able to play anyway.

His op could be something different before any one goes mad on their abacus. I have not seen enough of him before SUFC to make a fair judgement but to me he never looked fully comfortable when he played and his confidence seem to go rather than improve over the season.

Just be we scored that goal at Harrogate, Sim had the ball at his feet with their keeper backing off. He had time for two touches and still get a shot on goal. In one of the most frustrating moments of the whole season of no end product he chose to pull the back to Emile A, who had far less time and the chance was lost.

He will be a good example of the two way street needed next season if we don't wany to end up at the wrong end of the table, He will have to show the fans something and we will have to leave years of Ron hate in the back of our minds when the players come out of the tunnel.

You never no the boys on the pitch and us in the stands might just enjoy being a team....Of course that all depends on PB finding some sellotape to stick his contract back together.

Last edited:
Sorry but his injury record suggests that if we kept him next season he’d be a total liability. We need to move away from players that have a track record of being on the sidelines .

I've been trying to find a title for my new song and wham! There is is. Thanks.

No surprise, Akinola was on the end of some rough treatment this season (the first minute sandwich at Cambridge springs to mind) yet he was constantly rolled out, even when he didn't look fully fit.

I was told he arrived with a problem that was difficult to diagnose or treat? ( what a shock )
It was not just the embargo that delayed him he would not have been able to play anyway.

His op could be something different before any one goes mad on their abacus. I have not seen enough of him before SUFC to make a fair judgement but to me he never looked fully comfortable when he played and his confidence seem to go rather than improve over the season.

Just be we scored that goal at Harrogate, Sim had the ball at his feet with their keeper backing off. He had time for two touches and still get a shot on goal. In one of the most frustrating moments of the whole season of no end product he chose to pull the back to Emile A, who had far less time and the chance was lost.

He will be a good example of the two way street needed next season if we don't wany to end up at the wrong end of the table, He will have to show the fans something and we will have to leave years of Ron hate in the back of our minds when the players come out of the tunnel.

You never no the boys on the pitch and us in the stands might just enjoy being a team....Of course that all depends on PB finding some sellotape to stick his contract back together.

Thanks, rigsby. Let's hope the operation clears up the problem and Akinola is fighting fit for the new season. PB might be just the sort of manager who can get the best out of a talented player.

Back