• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Really sad, my favourite player ever. I agree with those who say we should do something for him as a club, testimonial or whatever.
Talking about him taking penalties, wasn't it Alan Moody who once scored from a penalty and the ball stuck in the net and they couldn't get it out? Played for the rest of the match with a different ball and the original one still stuck in the net. About 1974.

Yes his penalties we very good (bearing in mind he was a centre back also). As I remember generally struck low, hard and right in the corner- no mucking about. Seem to remember we got him from Middlesborough (maybe his only other club).
Completely reliable.

Have not seen anything posted about his yet - apologies if I have missed it.
It is reported in todays Echo that Alan has had both legs amputated as a result of dvt.
Very sad news - Alan holds the record for most Blues appearances.
I remember him playing in the 70s as a very steady defender/midfielder. Nothing spectacular or fancy - just a good honest player.

Absolute legend. a really great pro and wonderful servant. Terrible news. 446 games and 41 goals. I seem to remember a goal of the season volley against Halifax. He was sublime. I wish him well.

Oh no! This is terrible news! A real SUFC legend. I knew him very briefly in the 80's when I was on a course with him. He used to give me lifts. I am gutted for him.

This came up on the Shrimperzone ex-Shrimpers section a few weeks ago. So sad for one of my all-time favourite players.

Blues legend is used at the wrong time sometimes but take it from me this gentleman is a blues legend - sad news indeed

Fabulous servant for us. Good cricketer too whom I played against a few times... I think he played for Hockley in the evening league.

As a footballer, he once had George Best "in his pocket" when he used to play for Middlesboro and was also our penalty taker... I don't think he ever missed one!

Awful news. I wonder if the club are doing anything?

Wow, so sorry to read this, in a day when footballers were just ordinary people and played for the love of the game and the club
Was a steady eddie type of players and those penalties were buried before the keeper moved.

Hope the club do something for the man, lots of service for the club in days gone by
Will never be known as a legend for the club( Though in my eyes he was), but a true respected player by those who watched him in the day when football was a simple game

That is such sad, sad news.
Alan Moody was a wonderful servant to Southend United. He was no Bobby Moore but he was solid, reliable, loyal and gave 100%.
I remember his testimonial game when he walked around the perimeter talking to supporters and thanking them for attending. He was genuine and decent.

Wishing him well.

Very sad news,definitely one of the all time greats of my lifetime,and club servants.Apart from his superb defending with Tony Hadley and penalty taking his near post headed flick ons from corners stick in my mind.

Hi I am Alan's daughter. I have not read the article in the Echo yet as I have not been able to find it on the Internet. However, your comments are much appreciated, and it is lovely to read about your memories of him. I will make sure that he reads them too.
Dad is doing well, after some complications whilst in hospital. He is coming home tomorrow.
Thanks again for all of your well wishes.

Hi I am Alan's daughter. I have not read the article in the Echo yet as I have not been able to find it on the Internet. However, your comments are much appreciated, and it is lovely to read about your memories of him. I will make sure that he reads them too.
Dad is doing well, after some complications whilst in hospital. He is coming home tomorrow.

Hi Claire, thanks for your message. Alan is fondly remembered by us longstanding supporters. Please pass on our best wishes to him. As someone mentioned, he served the club well for many years and we knew we could always rely on his penalty taking. Best wishes to you all.

Hi Claire, thanks for your message. Alan is fondly remembered by us longstanding supporters. Please pass on our best wishes to him. As someone mentioned, he served the club well for many years and we knew we could always rely on his penalty taking. Best wishes to you all.

100% agree, Claire he is in Southends best ever team...everybody who saw him play,loved him.please wish him all the best & when is fit & well,ask him to come back and visit us,with yourself,at Roots Hall..he was and always will be one of our greatest players

Hi Claire, thank you so much for coming on and letting us know how your dad is. I think any of us who saw him during his career for any period of time can remember him with affection. He is also in the Shrimpers Trust Hall of Fame and the ShrimperZone Hall of Fame, which I've dug the thread out for. He might enjoy this as well.

Please pass on all our best wishes, he'll forever be a Blues legend.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...d-Hall-of-Fame-Alan-Moody&highlight=hall+fame

Hi Claire

I interviewed your Dad about 12 years ago for a piece in the LDV Final fanzine. I was interrupted by my boss at the time of my call, and had to hang up. When I rang him again, I told him what happened and he said: did you tell her who I was? I said yes Alan but I don't think she'd understand. We had a laugh about that!

Back