• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm very late on this, having missed it in the summer.

Very sad news and some great suggestions here.

I grew up watching Alan as part of the side I have the fondest memories for and also remember him playing for our local rivals, Hockley Cricket Club.

A great sportsman and superb centre-half.

If you needed someone in the trenches, Alan was your man.

Best wishes to both Alan and his family and yes, the club and Echo should be shouting it from the rooftops!

Alan Moody should have a stand named after him, or a statue of him erected, if and when we move to the new stadium. Not because of what has happened to him recently, but because, simply, he deserves it for being our longest serving player.

A benefit match of some kind would be a nice gesture also.

As an update, we have been talking to the club and are considering some suggestions at present. They will also be approaching Middlesbrough.

Alan Moody is a true Southend United great.
Whenever I met Mr Moody, he took time out to indulge a young man who was fanatical about the club he captained.
Lovely man.

As an update, we have been talking to the club and are considering some suggestions at present. They will also be approaching Middlesbrough.

Shame that Liverpool would not agree to play Southend ,that gate money would set Alan up .

Shame that Liverpool would not agree to play Southend ,that gate money would set Alan up .

I think you need to be realistic, not even sure Middlesbrough will be possible.

Trust Chairman, Paul Fitz is steering this so please be assured that something will be done, even if it won't necessarily be quite what people may have hoped for.

I think you need to be realistic, not even sure Middlesbrough will be possible.

Trust Chairman, Paul Fitz is steering this so please be assured that something will be done, even if it won't necessarily be quite what people may have hoped for.

I agree you have to be realistic , but you have got to aim to get a team down that would give Alan the reward that he deserves .

Do we know how Alan is getting on now?
Any news of a game for him?
Its all gone quite!!!

Do we know how Alan is getting on now?
Any news of a game for him?
Its all gone quite!!!

Yes Ozzie, be good to know. I was talking to Derek Spence this eve (not name-dropping - we met due to my 92 quest at Blackpool in April) and was running thro the 80/81 squad for whom i hope to sort out some kind of reunion with the club this season - he didn't know about Alan's plight and was somewhat shocked as Derek knew he was a keen golfer. There would be many many folk thro the power of media who would love the chance to pay tribute to Alan.

Off the cuff idea (which may be useless but nothing ventured .....)

Where does Alan live? Once we know we organise a fans v fans game as close by as we can get for the nearest SUFC away match during the remainder of the season on the day of the game before the SUFC match. Now, most of the SUFC fans who remember Alan, due to age, are prob not fit enough to play in the game but they can be involved by spectating.

We get Alan along to the fans game, and with a bit of publicity I'm sure the 'feel good factor' that comes from it would be a wonderful experience for all but in particular I hope for Alan.

it would not be a money raiser but I'm not sure that is the point (clearly I have no idea re Alan's financial need) - Alan would know from this that a lot of Shrimpers really care.

This could also be done without involving all the red tape that surrounds the club etc

Maybe totally impractical for all kinds of reasons, but in an earlier post OBL did ask for ideas .....

Off the cuff idea (which may be useless but nothing ventured .....)

Where does Alan live? Once we know we organise a fans v fans game as close by as we can get for the nearest SUFC away match during the remainder of the season on the day of the game before the SUFC match. Now, most of the SUFC fans who remember Alan, due to age, are prob not fit enough to play in the game but they can be involved by spectating.

We get Alan along to the fans game, and with a bit of publicity I'm sure the 'feel good factor' that comes from it would be a wonderful experience for all but in particular I hope for Alan.

it would not be a money raiser but I'm not sure that is the point (clearly I have no idea re Alan's financial need) - Alan would know from this that a lot of Shrimpers really care.

This could also be done without involving all the red tape that surrounds the club etc

Maybe totally impractical for all kinds of reasons, but in an earlier post OBL did ask for ideas .....

Alan lives in the Sutton area. You can try him at Banstead Downs golf club where he was the secretary.

Alan lives alone in a nice detached house in Ingleby Barwick, Stocton-on-Tees. He would love to hear from anyone, e.g.ex-players, friends and fans.
For further information, you can contact me via 'Send private message' by clicking on my username, Lawnmower.

Back