• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot Town 1-1 Southend United

Regarding MM, he's pretty much in an identical situation to that when he became our manager last season.

He tried playing a fluid system based on passing from the back, realised he didn't have the players to do that and resorted to ugly tactics. Horrible to watch but effective in digging out points (albeit not enough to keep his job).

Here's an interesting post from the Aldershot board:

Playing devils advocate here, and I will admit it sounded awful on the commentary tonight, but I would think that when Mark was bought in he was given one job to do, and that was to get us to safety. After the dire start that we had I don't think there were many people who realistically thought that we could do it. Since he has come in he has stabilised the team and we have been unbeaten in 10 of our last 11 games. We are now 13 points clear of the drop and heading in the right direction up the table. It's not pretty but who wouldn't have taken this after the Wrexham match? I think that once we get to that magic number of points, that will keep guarantee us staying up, the team will be able to play with more freedom and attacking football. But first we need to allow Mark to do his job. Next season will be another matter, a new start and more optimism, something that we can look forward to. We need to keep the support going. It's amazing that despite our home form, we appear to be over our budgeted average attendances so we appear to hitting our target for this season.

I think the Wrexham match was a 5-0 home defeat so he had to change his philosophy and shut up shop, which he did here. Another poster added that the players weren't good enough in possession to play a more expansive game.

Had MM stayed, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be playing this way now, especially if he'd had the backing RM gave PB over the summer. I was sad to see MM leave but his replacement was so awful that we have inadvertently benefited from his departure and allowed us to change the philosophy of how the club is run. Things are looking up and hopefully we'll be in a decent enough position to challenge for the play-offs at least next season.

Fair enough comments I guess. Rather over the top of him to say we are "a very, very good team" but appreciated. I hope he gets some strikers in or he'll be forced to carry on with a boring park the bus style of play. Glad I don't have to watch or listen to that every week.
I think their strikers could be decent if they got any service. Must be awful being a striker in a team that plays such awful football where you may only get one or two chances every game at most.

I think their strikers could be decent if they got any service. Must be awful being a striker in a team that plays such awful football where you may only get one or two chances every game at most.
At the moment I suspect their supporters are willing to endure boredom as the price for survival.
If they do stay up, as I am sure they will, the mob may be more demanding next season.

Fully aware of that, a football match is longer than one piece of play. Had we been more positive throughout the match I’m pretty confident it wouldn’t have been a draw.

We clearly have different views… let’s move on ?

Attachments

• 04FCF95B-6D07-45D3-A094-FD4F2A475A34.jpeg
    04FCF95B-6D07-45D3-A094-FD4F2A475A34.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 104
Well we came out of the blocks quick and then conceded an all too familiar goal the first time Aldershot crossed the halfway line. We then huffed and puffed against a team content to park the bus and put all their players behind the ball. Frustrating to watch as the one ideal player to stretch them with his pace Matt Dennis was missing. For all our possession our balls into the box were woeful and invariably no height to beat the first man. Normally this would have ended 1-0 but we now go for 90 mins and do not tire and fatigue after 60. Demetriou and Ferguson came on and provided the additional guile and thrust needed to present Cardwell with a great strikers opportunity and late deserved equaliser. Was impressed with all the new guys, all provided athleticism and desire.

Arnold 7
Davies 7
Hobson 6
Lopata 7
Ralph 6
Clifford 6
Neal 7
Atkinson 7
Husin 8 MOTM
Cardwell 7
Dalby 6

Demetriou 7
Ferguson 7
Rush 5

Noor Husin my man of the match, always looking forward to beat his man and thread a pass. Felt if we were going to score it would be due to his probing, strange it was his replacement Ferguson. Maybe competition for places will raise the standard needed for all. UTB

Didn't there top striker end his loan at the shots. That might have caused a more defensive style as well.

Well we came out of the blocks quick and then conceded an all too familiar goal the first time Aldershot crossed the halfway line. We then huffed and puffed against a team content to park the bus and put all their players behind the ball. Frustrating to watch as the one ideal player to stretch them with his pace Matt Dennis was missing. For all our possession our balls into the box were woeful and invariably no height to beat the first man. Normally this would have ended 1-0 but we now go for 90 mins and do not tire and fatigue after 60. Demetriou and Ferguson came on and provided the additional guile and thrust needed to present Cardwell with a great strikers opportunity and late deserved equaliser. Was impressed with all the new guys, all provided athleticism and desire.

Arnold 7
Davies 7
Hobson 6
Lopata 7
Ralph 6
Clifford 6
Neal 7
Atkinson 7
Husin 8 MOTM
Cardwell 7
Dalby 6

Demetriou 7
Ferguson 7
Rush 5

Noor Husin my man of the match, always looking forward to beat his man and thread a pass. Felt if we were going to score it would be due to his probing, strange it was his replacement Ferguson. Maybe competition for places will raise the standard needed for all. UTB
I think Husin tired. His influence waned. We must remember that he’s come from part-time football.

First time witnessing Neal live and if that is deemed his worse performance, then my god I cannot wait to witness a good performance.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Firstly, would have taken a point before the game, always felt this was the tricky one in the run of games we have. To get a point in that fashion made it all the more enjoyable.

Minor negative but I actually thought not going forward and driving into space was something a number were guilty of, particularly early in second half when it was clearly obvious they were going to sit with a minimum 9 players behind the ball. There were times when the back 3 all had good space in front of them to carry the ball a further 5/10 yards. When that did happen and Ralph/Hobson joined the attack we carved out opportunity chances. I say opportunity chances as there is clearly work to be done on final ball - I'd like to think Clifford is staying back after training to hit 100 crosses with the main objective of beating first man!

Initial review on phone call to distant brother was disappointment in Dalby but with immediate reflection, it wasn't an easy night for either forward when marked by 5 players most of the time, something Kev mentioned in the post match interview I later read.

All things considered, all positive from me. Yes some minor complaints but what a luxurious position to be in moaning about details having taken the 11th point in last 5 league games. First live game for a while and noticeable difference on the terrace, the optimism was infectious and can't wait to watch a Southend side play that brand of football more and more.

Nice to meet @TrueBlue as well!
I’m glad my people managed to fit you into my diary ??

Jokes aside pleasure was all mine mate and thank you for the kind words on the night

Back