• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot Town 1-1 Southend United

I think we could get away with the lack of pace if we had more quality on the delivery into the box. However a good game not to lose.

Mention for Ferguson for the delivery and Congratulations to Harry Cardwell on the first of hopefully many goals for us!!!!

Arnold - 5 - Not much to do at all, a couple of clearances were poor, as was his footwork on one occasion!

Davies - 7 - My MOTM, he tried to get forward and played some nice balls. Also made a few nice tackles. Like the look of him.
Ralph - 5 - Not awful but didn’t get forward as much as I’d have liked.
Clifford - 5 - Bottled a few tackles and didn’t seem to want to take anyone on.
Hobson - 6 - One of our more attacking players believe it or not. Failure to put a tackle in led to their goal… got better as the game went on.
Lopata - 6 - Not bad but one of his poorer games, missed more headers than usual.

Neal - 2 - Sorry but one of the worst performances I’ve seen this season. Absolutely every hall he played was backwards without even considering his options. He could be in an acre of space and still pass to the defence. Hopefully just an off day.
Husin - 5 - Tried to be positive but not a lot came off, often found a red shirt.
Atkinson - 5 - Him and Neal are too negative for my liking. Will struggled tonight, and have the ball away too much.

Dalby - 3 - Didn’t get close to a header all night. Also didn’t seem to want to challenge for anything. A very poor game for him.
Cardwell - 7 - Tried hard and got his head on plenty including a lovely goal.

Subs:
Rush - 5 - Poor touch and didn’t offer much.
Ferguson - 7 - Changed the game a bit when he came on by actually making forward runs.
Demetriou - 6 - More positive when he came on, his energy seems to lift others.

Well done the travelling 450 ???

Another point in the bag & as has already been said several times, 3 months ago if we went a goal behind it was game over, now the fab 3 are having an impact & we are a team with hope & spirit, something that has been missing for a very long time ?

Arnold - 5 - Not much to do at all, a couple of clearances were poor, as was his footwork on one occasion!

Davies - 7 - My MOTM, he tried to get forward and played some nice balls. Also made a few nice tackles. Like the look of him.
Hobson - 6 - One of our more attacking players believe it or not. Failure to put a tackle in led to their goal… got better as the game went on.
Lopata - 6 - Not bad but one of his poorer games, missed more headers than usual.

Neal - 2 - Sorry but one of the worst performances I’ve seen this season. Absolutely every hall he played was backwards without even considering his options. He could be in an acre of space and still pass to the defence. Hopefully just an off day.
Husin - 5 - Tried to be positive but not a lot came off, often found a red shirt.
Atkinson - 5 - Him and Neal are too negative for my liking. Will struggled tonight, and have the ball away too much.

Dalby - 3 - Didn’t get close to a header all night. Also didn’t seem to want to challenge for anything. A very poor game for him.

Subs:
Ferguson - 7 - Changed the game a bit when he came on by actually making forward runs.
Wow

Funny how people see the game in different lights

Neal was absolutely immense for me, controlled the game, in fact I thought he played so well he was my Man of the match

I think one thing we have to work on all week is crossing the ball from wide, and taking of corners. Clifford is the biggest culprit. But he's not the only one. We finally have a player in the box begging for the right cross. But it doesn't beat the first man or goes behind our attackers most of the time. We could have won this game, instead of struggling to get a draw. Thankful for that in the end.

Wow

Funny how people see the game in different lights

Neal was absolutely immense for me, controlled the game, in fact I thought he played so well he was my Man of the match
Strange, I thought he was extremely negative without even trying to pass the ball forward… lost the ball quite a number of times too. I know he’s a defensive midfielder but he just seemed to take the simple ball backwards every time he received the ball.

In two minds about that.

Positives first: we're resilient and kept knocking at the door, getting the reward in the end in a game that we'd have lost at any other point over the last 3 years; team spirit looks great; we've got a point on the road against a very well-organised team that has been in excellent form recently.

Negatives: we didn't get in their faces enough, nor grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Aldershot wanted to play like an away side against Premier League opposition and whilst we had near enough all the possession and territory, we didn't take the glaring opportunity to dictate the tempo of the game. We were oh so slow, pondering, meandering, sideways and backwards at times and let Aldershot slow us down. We were crying out for the kind of zip and expanse to our play that was present against Yeovil and King's Lynn, but we weren't doing those basics tonight and the 3-4-3 isnt going to work if Ralph and Hobson won't overlap like they did in the last few games, and if Clifford and Davies keep turning inside rather than attempting to take their man on. We're also seriously lacking pace without Matt Dennis and I'd like to see us bring some more pace in ASAP. With a front 3 of Murphy, Dennis and Cardwell, I think we'd have torn Aldershot a new one tonight.

All-in-all feels like a bit of a missed opportunity to me.

Arnold 6 - nothing to do; bit of a hairy moment from.a backpass 2nd half.
Davies 6 - tried hard but nothing came off for him. Lack of movement ahead of him at times, but wanted to see him beat his man and get more crosses in rather than keep coming inside.
Clifford 6 - see Davies.
Hobson 6 - defended well but distribution when looking to recycle and build from the back was poor.
Łopata 7 - good game from him, never really looked troubled. Couldn't see the incident at the end that earned him his booking.
Ralph 5 - not a captain for me. Would probably have been a 6, but shirked his responsibilities and lost his man for Aldershot's goal.
Atkinson 7 - once again, everywhere and tried to get us moving but did tire. If it weren't for fitness, he'd have been the midfielder that I'd have kept on.
Neal 5 - really didn't do it for me today, lacked the drive through the middle that he has shown recently and didn't look forward enough with his passing.
Husin 6 - can see he can pick a pass and move the ball about well, but difficult for him to flourish in a game where Aldershot parked the bus in their penalty area for 80 minutes. Also easy to forget he's only trained with his new teammates twice. I have high hopes for him.
Dalby 5 - works hard and runs the channels well, but there are times when his first touch and inability to jump infuriate me. Today was one of those days.
Cardwell 7 - tough going for him with a lack of service, but he's a real handful, kept going until the end and bagged his first Southend goal with an excellent header.

Subs:
Rush 4 - offered nothing, I'm afraid. He's a long, long way off it IMO.
JD 6 - didn't have long but was the Influential voice we needed, really drove everyone else on and had more success getting the ball into and around the Aldershot box.
Ferguson 6 - also didn't have long, but showed what he can do when he's on it with an excellent run and delicious assist for Cardwell.

6 league games unbeaten, 14 points from a possible 18, 10 points clear of the relegation zone, strikers scoring goals, an abundance of possession, chances being created, new player(s) set to come in….

Is it finally time to be proud of being a Shrimper again?

That being said, Dover won tonight, which is their first win of the season. Ominous signs for Saturday?

6 league games unbeaten, 14 points from a possible 18, 10 points clear of the relegation zone, strikers scoring goals, an abundance of possession, chances being created, new player(s) set to come in….

That being said, Dover won tonight, which is their first win of the season. Ominous signs for Saturday?

I would have more worried had Dover not won; you know what we are like at handing teams their first win in ages so that monkey is off our backs ?

Subs:
Wasn’t at the game, didn’t even listen, but I find it very hard to believe Neal is even capable of a 2 out of 10 performance at this level never mind actually deliver one! That said, I salute you for having such a strong opinion!

Happy to take that point, thought we might win it but with no Dennis that changed the formation and once they scored early was always going to be very tough. Back to 3-4-3, when Rush came on, which gave me more confidence we could score, Good to see Demi and Ferguson liven things up and a determination to keep going and Cardy opening a coat of many colours to come

Only 3 teams in the league with 5 games on the trot without a loss, !! and we are one of them, cant quite believe that, Wine going down well after Beer , Still building nicely

Even we bear Eastleigh when we had cloggers international in the team so although a good result I'd not read too much into it

Actually 5 league games unbeaten (lost at Notts County before that), but still a terrific run given that they included three very tough looking away games. Let’s just hope that no complacency creeps in on Saturday.

A good point in the circumstances, a shame we went behind so early as it allowed Aldershot to get that bus parked.

We definitely need to work on the delivery into the box, it's so frustrating to see the cross hit the first man all the time when Cardwell is in the box begging for a decent ball. I thought the team lacked a bit of the drive we've seen in the past few games and the wing backs were a bit circumspect but maybe that was partly due to the way Aldershot were set up once they got ahead. We sorely missed Dennis' pace as well.

Husin had some good touches, I look forward to seeing how he develops once he's bedded into the side a bit. Great to see Cardwell get off the mark for us, hopefully that's the first of many.

A good atmosphere from both sets of fans, although we were a bit subdued at times in the second half, our dreadful three years playing on minds a bit maybe. Aldershot's many drums sounded good.

All in all a frustrating night for the large part, but snatching a point late on sent me back to the station happy. It's so good to see a Southend side battle to the end once again.

Back