• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blue_Wes

Simple Minded
So this morning I receive a letter from Ron Martin, which reads as follows;

Dear Mr Fitzgerald,

As many of you will know the income received from the sale of tickets relating to League games is always retained in full, by the Home Club. Whilst it is certainly not for me to judge the policy of Aldershot Town I do believe the circumstances surrounding the Boxing Day match are a special case. Had the situation arose at Southend United we would have immediately refunded the ticket monies to all that attended. Several hundred Southend supporters gave up precious time on Boxing Day only to be able to watch 45 minutes due to floodlight failure.

As I say Southend United receive no money from away games and the Football League is not in a position to influence how Aldershot Town conduct their affairs. Aldershot Town are however proposing that Tickets for the replasy will be available at half price for those that attended the Boxing Day game.

I met many supporters on the return journey who were equally disappointed as I (perhaps not least as it was a match we were well placed to win). The game will now be replayed on a Tuesday night (hopefully 90 minutes!) sometime in the coming weeks....a date will be fixed shortly and advertised on the clubs website.

Southend United have fantastic fans and I am sorry if your boxing day was ruined as a consequence of the bizarre events that unfolded. Our records indicate that you purchased 3 adult tickets, at a cost of £51 and as some compensation I attach a cheque representing 50% of your ticket cost incurred in recognition of your loyal support.

Whilst writing you will have read that we have strengthened the squad over the last few days and are targetting further signings in order to maintain momentum and, hopefully come May promotion to Leagu 1.

My Kind regards and wishing you a good New Year

Yours sincerely

Ron Martin.

And indeed a cheque for £25.50 was attached. A very decent gesture by the club for sure. It adds fuel to the question that's been on most's people lips tho. Have we won the lottery?

I'm shocked but a very good gesture which cannot be knocked I guess, all though I would wait for the cheque to clear before making any judgements :winking:

got ours today thought this was a good move by our club :smile::smile::smile:

Damn we must have got some investment from somewhere for the Club to do this and pay fees for players. I look forward to hearing the answers at the supporter's Q & A session.

I dont say it very often but fair play to the club and Ron for that. He's a much nicer man when the cash flow is ok.

so maybe now some will accept that the stewardship provided by RM was a necessary evil and he has seen us through a very torrid time that will be the end of other businesses.

Wow - just got mine thru as well! Hmmmm not sure i will tell Tina about this!! :unsure:

Well done Ron! Sadly we paid on the gate so small claims court it is for me.

And indeed a cheque for £25.50 was attached. A very decent gesture by the club for sure. It adds fuel to the question that's been on most's people lips tho. Have we won the lottery?

I'd have waited for it to have cleared before getting too excited

I alway's had faith that one day Ron would remember where he buried that treasure chest :winking:

We were all well gutted at the extremely poor handling of the situation by the home club. Quite honestly it was as bad a feeling as any away game I can remember, even worse than heavy defeats or Accrington last season.

Whilst I felt miffed for myself I felt even more gutted for a young Blues fan who, because he had found himself a temporary xmas job at the post sorting office decided to treat himself with the overtime money he managed to get. Having spent out for an adult ticket on the gate + £18.00 coach fare and other expenses on Boxing day he was rewarded with just 45 minutes of pointless football. Obviously now the temp work is finnished he will not now be able to afford the re-arranged game even if the entrance was half.

Last edited:
I alway's had faith that one day Ron would remember where he buried that treasure chest :winking:

Ha, but I wonder if this does mean that Fossetts Farm is closer to being a reality than everyone thinks.

I'd rather that than the alternative which is Ron has realised that the dream is up and he may as well go out in a blaze of glory.

so maybe now some will accept that the stewardship provided by RM was a necessary evil and he has seen us through a very torrid time that will be the end of other businesses.

Rubbish Martin nearly ruined the club 2 years ago but his terrible mismanagement. We are only in League 2 now because of him. Its a very nice gesture to refund some of the fans but it doesn't make up for how he has handled the club in the last few years/

No. I wouldn't be so quick to forgive the dreadful way he presided over the club.

However true that may be, you will never convince the professional whingers and moaners on this board that RM can ever do anything decent.

No. I wouldn't be so quick to forgive the dreadful way he presided over the club.

I am pretty much in agreement with you. However this is good PR and a gesture that the club does not have to make. Perhaps there was a hoard of cash down the back of RM's sofa.

Back