• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Aldershot Town v Southend United, Tuesday 25th January, 1945ko, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 95 87.2%
  • Jason Demitriou

Votes: 36 33.0%
  • Leon Davies

Votes: 58 53.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 94 86.2%
  • Kasper Łopata

• Nathan Ralph

Votes: 92 84.4%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 84 77.1%
  • Harrison Neal

Votes: 92 84.4%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 69 63.3%
  • Matt Dennis

• Sam Dalby

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Harry Cardwell

• Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 43 39.4%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Collin Ndeng-Ndi

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Harry Seaden

• Josh Coulson

• John White

• Jack Bridge

• James Dunne (if fit)

• Abu Ogogo (if fit)

• Rhys Murphy (if fit)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Win

Votes: 43 39.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • Lose

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
So, our quest for 4 league wins on the bounce takes us down to Mark Molesley’s new team, Aldershot Town.

Aldershot, of course, are a team we've played plenty of times before - I have fond memories of Crowny scoring a couple in a 5-0 win there in 1989 and not so fond memories of the game being called off at half-time on Boxing Day 2011 when we were winning 1-0 and the Shots were down to 10 men.

The Shots had an indifferent start to the season, their first win not coming until they visited Roots Hall in the sixth game of the season, however they have picked up under MM's tenure and last Saturday got a creditable 0-0 draw at Chesterfield so will not be easy pickings for us. They sit one place and one point ahead of the blues having played 2 games more than us so there is definitely everything to play for.

With our recent upturn in form, expectations are high amongst the Shrimpers' faithful and one would hope confidence among the team is pretty high too. There is now genuine competition for places and Kev will have to make the choice as to whether to include Jason Demetriou following his return from suspension and whether Noor Husin deserves a start following his cameo on Friday night.

So, who would you choose to start against the Shots, and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
They've had a few issues scoring goals of late but have become hard to beat. They're better away than they are at home.

Defensively they are sound and they got a great point at Chesterfield, but at home against lowly opposition they will be expected to take the game to us, and we know from last season that's not necessarily something MM thrives at.

If we score first, I think we'll win, but it will be a tight game.

They've had a few issues scoring goals of late but have become hard to beat. They're better away than they are at home.

Defensively they are sound and they got a great point at Chesterfield, but at home against lowly opposition they will be expected to take the game to us, and we know from last season that's not necessarily something MM thrives at.

If we score first, I think we'll win, but it will be a tight game.
Noticed that their keeper made team of the week

If everyone is fit after the KL game then start with the same side,possibly with Demi on the bench.Happy with a draw but delighted with max 3 points

Comprehensive victory to us. Could see this being 3 or 4 nil.
I'm liking the confidence!

I'll go for a 2-1 Southend though and maybe us to concede first again. We were a bit shaky against KL in the first 25 mins and could see the same happening again tomorrow night.

Hoping for a win but I'd take a point here. Much like us they had an awful start but they've turned things around recently, having only conceded 8 goals in the last 10 league matches, they'll be hard to break down.

So, our quest for 4 league wins on the bounce takes us down to Mark Molesley’s new team, Aldershot Town.

Aldershot, of course, are a team we've played plenty of times before - I have fond memories of Crowny scoring a hat-trick in a 5-0 win there in 1989 and not so fond memories of the game being called off at half-time on Boxing Day 2011 when we were winning 1-0 and the Shots were down to 10 men.

The Shots had an indifferent start to the season, their first win not coming until they visited Roots Hall in the sixth game of the season, however they have picked up under MM's tenure and last Saturday got a creditable 0-0 draw at Chesterfield so will not be easy pickings for us. They sit one place and one point ahead of the blues having played 2 games more than us so there is definitely everything to play for.

With our recent upturn in form, expectations are high amongst the Shrimpers' faithful and one would hope confidence among the team is pretty high too. There is now genuine competition for places and Kev will have to make the choice as to whether to include Jason Demetriou following his return from suspension and whether Noor Husin deserves a start following his cameo on Friday night.

So, who would you choose to start against the Shots, and what do you predict the result will be?

That was the season of the 5-0 double. Crown got his hat-trick at home and was a bit off the mark in the away game with only a couple !!

We severely lack goals from the midfield. Our new acquisition Husin has chipped in with a few for Dartford in his time there. I would rather he sits in behind 2 forwards than having 3 forwards on the pitch. Dalby gets a rest for me in this one, he's worked hard in the last few weeks.

How many times has the ball dropped to the edge of the box and we haven't been able to recycle/retain/have a shot?

Neal and Atkinson should be allowed to run the engine room without a huge amount of attacking responsibility. We got hit on the break a few times by KLTFC on Friday with our CMs getting caught high up the pitch. You might be able to make those recovery runs for the first 60 mins but those legs are going to tire towards the crucial end of a game. If one could go and one could stay, it would save their legs! Also would allow Ralph/Hobson to advance into crossing areas if they have deep lying cover.

I think we should play a 3-5-2.

Forwards: Dennis, Cardwell

Advanced midfielder/playmaker: Husin

CMs: Neal, Atkinson

LWB: Clifford

RWB: Demetriou (Davies a good signing but needs time to settle and build upon his ability)

CBs: Ralph, Lopata, Hobson
GK: The one and only Steve Arnold, our lord and saviour :Worthy: (if you couldn't tell I rate him massively and our best keeper since Dan Bentley)

We severely lack goals from the midfield. Our new acquisition Husin has chipped in with a few for Dartford in his time there. I would rather he sits in behind 2 forwards than having 3 forwards on the pitch. Dalby gets a rest for me in this one, he's worked hard in the last few weeks.

How many times has the ball dropped to the edge of the box and we haven't been able to recycle/retain/have a shot?

Neal and Atkinson should be allowed to run the engine room without a huge amount of attacking responsibility. We got hit on the break a few times by KLTFC on Friday with our CMs getting caught high up the pitch. You might be able to make those recovery runs for the first 60 mins but those legs are going to tire towards the crucial end of a game. If one could go and one could stay, it would save their legs! Also would allow Ralph/Hobson to advance into crossing areas if they have deep lying cover.

I think we should play a 3-5-2.

Forwards: Dennis, Cardwell

Advanced midfielder/playmaker: Husin

CMs: Neal, Atkinson

LWB: Clifford

RWB: Demetriou (Davies a good signing but needs time to settle and build upon his ability)

CBs: Ralph, Lopata, Hobson
GK: The one and only Steve Arnold, our lord and saviour :Worthy: (if you couldn't tell I rate him massively and our best keeper since Dan Bentley)
I disagree. Love playing 3 strikers. Great antidote to the Brown Molesley era. If Husin can link up play well with the wideman to get crosses into Caldwell Dennis and Dalby we are laughing.

So nice to actually have players good enough to be able to try different things though.

That was the season of the 5-0 double. Crown got his hat-trick at home and was a bit off the mark in the away game with only a couple !!
Thanks @Mick - we were away for the weekend and so my faithful SUFC History book was not to hand to double check my facts!

I disagree. Love playing 3 strikers. Great antidote to the Brown Molesley era. If Husin can link up play well with the wideman to get crosses into Caldwell Dennis and Dalby we are laughing.

So nice to actually have players good enough to be able to try different things though.
True but I think Cardwell is such a physical unit that he almost takes up the work needed to stop 2 strikers. Matty Dennis should still get the space he needs to cause havoc and the same would go for the wingers.

I agree Husin playing in the half spaces linking with the wing backs would be wicked whether he's part of a midfield 2 or midfield 3.

I think the tactics selected will have a lot to do with our game plan and what Aldershot are likely to put out. It might suit 3 up front but it would be nice if we can pack the midfield like King's Lynn did the other day and dictate the tempo a bit more.

Chaps going for a 3-1 win... think we are on a roll now..can see 6/7 winning run... before we hit a draw... this group will only get better and Murphy will click into gear on the scoring front now he has more comp in that area..when he returns!... i can see us just falling short of play offs... but will back us big time next year.... up the blues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back