• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alex McLeish, what's everyones views?

sufc_dave

Manager
With Alex McLeish leaving Birmingham to manage fierce rivals Aston Villa, I wondered what everyones views are on the matter?

Would there be the same sense of anger amongst Southend fans if John Ward left Col.U to manage us, or, maybe more to the point, if Sturrock left us to manage Col.U?

firstly i think its a prime example of how football seems to be one of the only industries which constantly rewards those who have been rubbish in their job, he just got birmingham relegated, yes they won the carling cup, but ultimately he was in charge of a team that got relegated, so let me get this straight, the villa board got together and said right we need a man to lead us up the table, someone who gets the team playing the right way, delivers results, someone the fans can unite behind...........I know alex Mcleish! I will be putting a tenner on him to be the first prem manager to go....easy money i reckon. Surely the hundreds of supporters outside the ground protesting would have raised some concerns

I think exactly the same. If the situation was different, say Birmingham had just finished in a decent position (mid-table for a team like themselves), I can't see why the Villa fans would have anything to moan about.

However, like you say, he had just got Birmingham relegated. The tactics he uses are completely different to what Villa needs, so I can understand why the Villa fans are upset. I reckon thats a good bet, unless someone decides to employ Avram Grant, probably one of the most useless, uninsperational managers I have ever seen in the top flight.

Birmingham massively underachieved this season, I'm surprised too that Villa want him.

But they were all quite happy with Martinez who's side stayed up on goal difference? The thing i'd like to know, how can a manager quit and join another club whereas a player cant do that just as easy. I bet Villa wont end up paying the full compo whack, has any players ever used that buy-out clause before?

firstly i think its a prime example of how football seems to be one of the only industries which constantly rewards those who have been rubbish in their job, he just got birmingham relegated, yes they won the carling cup, but ultimately he was in charge of a team that got relegated, so let me get this straight, the villa board got together and said right we need a man to lead us up the table, someone who gets the team playing the right way, delivers results, someone the fans can unite behind...........I know alex Mcleish! I will be putting a tenner on him to be the first prem manager to go....easy money i reckon. Surely the hundreds of supporters outside the ground protesting would have raised some concerns

He was about their 4th choice for manager.

But they were all quite happy with Martinez who's side stayed up on goal difference? The thing i'd like to know, how can a manager quit and join another club whereas a player cant do that just as easy. I bet Villa wont end up paying the full compo whack, has any players ever used that buy-out clause before?

I actually think Martinez did ok this season, seeing as how competitive it was. I think WIgan actually got a higher points total than last year. He also has got some average players playing good football and they were fired up at the end of the season for which he should take a lot of credit.

Its all about money these days, players and managers alike.
Macleish gests Birmingham relegated and his stocks drops and then he gets the chance to manage the local rivals, which most of the supporters don't want him, Birmingham supporters think he is Judas for even thinking it and al the time Macleish is thinking about the money he will be getting.
The bloke must had been on 50k a week to manage Birmingham, does he realy need the extra money (if any) that villa are going to pay him,? Has he thought about the consequences if he cocks up (and he will) at Villa and what that will do with his stock value?

I actually think Martinez did ok this season, seeing as how competitive it was. I think WIgan actually got a higher points total than last year. He also has got some average players playing good football and they were fired up at the end of the season for which he should take a lot of credit.

Considering how shocking Wigan were at the start of the season I think Martinez did remarkably well!

Its all about money these days, players and managers alike.
Macleish gests Birmingham relegated and his stocks drops and then he gets the chance to manage the local rivals, which most of the supporters don't want him, Birmingham supporters think he is Judas for even thinking it and al the time Macleish is thinking about the money he will be getting.
The bloke must had been on 50k a week to manage Birmingham, does he realy need the extra money (if any) that villa are going to pay him,? Has he thought about the consequences if he cocks up (and he will) at Villa and what that will do with his stock value?

Allegedly he was going to be on 800K a year at Brum (reduced after relegation) and at Villa he will be on £2 million a year!?!?! Anyway anything that ****es off Brum Scum is fair game in my eyes.

He's gonna get so much **** if Villa dont perform next season. I think it was the wrong move for him, and to resign by email just shows how much he thought of Birmingham. Personally, I think he should have stayed at Birmingham to get them back into the Premiership. Regarding Martinez, good on him for staying at Wigan. That was a good move.

There is little or no loyalty in football today and this doesnt surprise me one bit .

How the villa board can see this as a move foward is beyond me. The fans dont want him there and he just relegated there local rivals.

As for wigan and martinez, i see keeping them up as a huge ahcievement with there crowds and budget and think he would have been a much better choice as he gets his team playing very good football.

The premier league is **** and belongs to **** fans who are welcome to it. I love watching the blues run out , out of the gaze of the world its a kind of private affair.

Back