• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Alex Revell

STFC_Gazza

Schoolboy
Swindon fan in peace and apologies if this is in the wrong section, was going to put EX Shrimpers BUT he is still your player so..

How the hell did you guys let go of Revell ar you really that skint (not a p take either, we have been down that road for years until we finally got decent backerS)?

Revell by far one of the hardest working players I have ever seen wear a Swindon shirt. Any chance he will return to you guys. Your chairman seemed to lash out pretty harshly against Revs. Is instantly becoming a cult hero at SN1 and being named man of the match. The guy literally run himself into the ground last week and had an amazing standing O. How much do you think you will accept for Revs? SEEMS no way back now to Southend unless Tilson is sacked say, and a new gaffer wants to have a look at the player?

THERES ONLY ONE ALEX REVELL!!!

It's post like these that will hopefully show people what we're missing.

Give me Revell over nearly all of our forwards, bar Barney. He may not be a profilic goal scorer, but he brings to the squad other things, and has such good link-up play it enables other people to come into play, such as barney - who will score.. As we've already seen this season.

Saw his goal the other week, what a take. Shame he never did that whilst in a southend shirt.

I'd welcome him back with open arms, but, as you said it would appear the Management seems to have hounded him out of the club - which is such a shame.

Wish him all the best up at Swindon.

Another massive error of judgement by our club letting him go. Glad he is somewhere he is appreciated.

I'd have Revs back in a heartbeat , I loved him, you can't knock someone for there tireless workrate.

Unfortunetly after Mr Kings comments Revell has no future at this club and if I were him I wouldn't want to come back after those comments.

I wish him well, whether it be at Swindon or anywhere else.

Good god... :( I just did a bit of sick in my mouth.

So glad he has found fans that fully appreciate what he gives a team. Made me despair at times how our 'fans' barracked him.

Sure everyone has their own opinions etc, but I dont think anyone that didnt see what Revs gave the team doesnt have a particularly fantastic understanding of football!

How can anyone slag off a player that gives 110% for the cause, chases everything, is a big physical presence, seems a nice bloke too (good for dressing room moral) and is willing to play wherever in the side. So 'he wont score 20 goals a season' seems to be the biggest argument.

Aside from Barney, who else in the squad will either? Freedman, Walker, Laurent, O'Donovan and Calver wouldnt get 20 between them - so we are hardly blessed with prolific strikers are we?

Revell gives something different to any of those and I'm sure most of you have seen some of the goals he's got up at Swindon - where he is started to really show what he is all about.

Just ****es me off so much that we had to offload him :(

In answer to the OP question - I dont think there is a way back for him. Tilson likes him and admitted he was no means first choice to be let out on loan, but seems we cannot afford him - and after our Chief Execs ****ing stupid statement, I doubt he'd want to come back.

Does he do a blog for you guys?! :)

Swindon fan in peace and apologies if this is in the wrong section, was going to put EX Shrimpers BUT he is still your player so..

How the hell did you guys let go of Revell ar you really that skint (not a p take either, we have been down that road for years until we finally got decent backerS)?

Revell by far one of the hardest working players I have ever seen wear a Swindon shirt. Any chance he will return to you guys. Your chairman seemed to lash out pretty harshly against Revs. Is instantly becoming a cult hero at SN1 and being named man of the match. The guy literally run himself into the ground last week and had an amazing standing O. How much do you think you will accept for Revs? SEEMS no way back now to Southend unless Tilson is sacked say, and a new gaffer wants to have a look at the player?

THERES ONLY ONE ALEX REVELL!!!

Hello Gazza. Revs is a great character with the greatest smile, as you have seen, he will run his nuts off and no one will question his commitment and effort, but we needed goals from our strikers and he had a terrible return for the games he played, although injuries didn't help. He didn't help himself by playing too deep also. Still popular at Southend tho, and the juries still out.
If he could add goals to the rest of his play, we would love him back.

Would love Revs to come back, think he was massively under-rated by loads of the fans because he wasnt scoring goals and dont think GK helped either... so wouldnt be surprised if he stays at Swindon where he is appreciated!

Still think he was the hardest working player we have had in years, and I seem to remember that Tilly only wanted him to go out on loan for a month originally - so it was probably events taking over rather than not having the manager's support. Everyone seems to have forgotten that he missed a lot of games with his broken leg, so he's probably getting back to full strength because he's playing regularly and Swindon are getting the benefits!

As far as I'm concerned, Revs did his best for us and I wish him all the best of luck wherever he ends up (as long as he doesnt score against us, that is!)

Revell has played I think every game for us since he arrived on loan. One thing that is a bit dissapointing is that he is not a very good target man for his height.

I hope he can score a few more, He is a similar player to Billy Paynter (our billy paynter not the donkey at southend and Hull), and Revell has actually pushed Paynter down the pecking order. Revells runs from one side of the pitch to the other are unbelievable for a player at this level. Everyone in the County Ground gave him a standing O last week. You could just tell he "couldnt run anymore" he had run for probably 80 minutes straight.

His goal the other week against Brentford was a "beaut"

He doesnt do a blog... yet, bench warming midfielder Craig Easton does that!

Revs was treated harshly by the club and certain sections of the fans,I thought he was a valued team player and should never of been loaned out.

Just my opinion, but I don't see why Geoff King's comments mean there's no way back for Revell if it was what he and others at the club wanted. Obviously, King won't have helped matters and there might need to be some clearing of the air, but ultimately it's Tilson's view that counts.

While Tilson said Revell was not 'first choice' to go out on loan, he certainly didn't condemn the move either. Finances have and will of course play a part, but as things stand right now, O'Donovan doesn't seem to have worked out which potentially re-opens the door. Players like Moussa have gone out on loan before and come back to fanfares despite what many saw as the writing on the wall at the time.

It could go either way but I'd be no more surprised at Revell coming back than at him leaving for good.

It's post like these that will hopefully show people what we're missing.

Give me Revell over nearly all of our forwards, bar Barney.He may not be a profilic goal scorer, but he brings to the squad other things, and has such good link-up play it enables other people to come into play, such as barney - who will score.. As we've already seen this season.

Saw his goal the other week, what a take. Shame he never did that whilst in a southend shirt.

I'd welcome him back with open arms, but, as you said it would appear the Management seems to have hounded him out of the club - which is such a shame.

Wish him all the best up at Swindon.

There're two reasons we let him go. I know lots of nice blokes who would run themselves into the ground for Southend United and they will be in the stands today as fans.

Just my opinion, but I don't see why Geoff King's comments mean there's no way back for Revell if it was what he and others at the club wanted. Obviously, King won't have helped matters and there might need to be some clearing of the air, but ultimately it's Tilson's view that counts.

While Tilson said Revell was not 'first choice' to go out on loan, he certainly didn't condemn the move either. Finances have and will of course play a part, but as things stand right now, O'Donovan doesn't seem to have worked out which potentially re-opens the door. Players like Moussa have gone out on loan before and come back to fanfares despite what many saw as the writing on the wall at the time.

It could go either way but I'd be no more surprised at Revell coming back than at him leaving for good.

King out!!

He was a striker who wasn't scoring in the words of GK, and we needed to free up some cash and he was one of our higher wage earners. That's the reason, and until we have the HMRC sword of Damacles removed from over our heads, we have to juggle our finances judiciously.

I'd have Revs back like a shot, great team player, nice bloke as well.

There're two reasons we let him go. I know lots of nice blokes who would run themselves into the ground for Southend United and they will be in the stands today as fans.

Again - missing the point!

Revs isnt a goalscorer - I'm sure his career stats will back that up, but what he is a lower league target man (not in the traditional 6ft 6 mould) that gives everything.

Its quite insulting (to him) to basically say he is no better than a fan who would do something of a similar job. Insulting and a bit silly really.

He creates goals through unsettling defenders, being decent on the ball for a big man and working hard for his partner. If you asked Barney who he'd rather play alongside in our squad, I'm pretty sure he'd say Revell.

Unless you are waiting for us to pair Eastwood and Collymore upfront again sometime soon, then you will have to accept players like Revell are invaluable assets for a club.

I dont need to justify it any more really, as the proof of the pudding is the results Revs is showing for Swindon now he is fully match fit.

He was a striker who wasn't scoring in the words of GK, and we needed to free up some cash and he was one of our higher wage earners. That's the reason, and until we have the HMRC sword of Damacles removed from over our heads, we have to juggle our finances judiciously.

I'd have Revs back like a shot, great team player, nice bloke as well.

Nice bit of business we did there then - ship Revs out, get O'Donovan in who is dropped within a couple of games, scored one tap in from 30cm and generally done nowt.

Bet he is on comparable wages to Revs too (i.e. he is probably on 8-10k at Sunderland at least and we'll be paying a bit of that for sure?)

(not a dig at you Kay, I know you like Revs as much as a lot of us - more a confirmation of a stupid decision the club made in this whole mess).

Nice bit of business we did there then - ship Revs out, get O'Donovan in who is dropped within a couple of games, scored one tap in from 30cm and generally done nowt.

Bet he is on comparable wages to Revs too (i.e. he is probably on 8-10k at Sunderland at least and we'll be paying a bit of that for sure?)

(not a dig at you Kay, I know you like Revs as much as a lot of us - more a confirmation of a stupid decision the club made in this whole mess).

Paul, I'm convinced Swindon are paying ALL of Revs' wages and I don't think we're paying very much of O'Donovan's so yes, it IS a good bit of business. Don't forget it looks to have allowed us to get a BOGOF, cos it brought Bernie Friend in too so depends who you want to look on as the freeby! ;)

Back