• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Aliens 2

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Got to say this is on channel 4 right now epic film also need to add that I can't really think of another film where the sequel is better then first!!!

They only come out at night.... Mostly!!

ITS GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!!

Pedants corner, it's just Aliens as the first was Alien and yes, I agree it's better than Alien, though both a brilliant.

Films where the sequel is better than the original:

The Godfather 2, The Empire Strikes Back, Toy Story 2.

Gremlins 2 was better than Gremlins. Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins. Wrath of Khan was better than Star Trek as well.

Last edited:
Pedants corner, it's just Aliens as the first was Alien and yes, I agree it's better than Alien, though both a brilliant.

Films where the sequel is better than the original:

The Godfather 2, The Empire Strikes Back, Toy Story 2.

Godfather II and The Empire Strikes Back

Shall we just lock the thread now???

Got to say this is on channel 4 right now epic film also need to add that I can't really think of another film where the sequel is better then first!!!

They only come out at night.... Mostly!!

ITS GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!!

It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I think Alien is better than Aliens. Alien was fantastic, it was the unknown, it was atmospheric, and the atmosphere was genuinely tense, it lends itself fully to the horror genre as opposed to the action genre, which for this film was a definite plus. The crew are not set up to fight and have to battle on with what they can find, and the never knowing when or where the Alien will strike, alá John hurt at breakfast - what an amazing scene that was first time round.

Aliens for me, is loads of fun, but it's a dumbed down 80's version of a true classic. It's a case of we've had a mega succesful movie, let's throw in some strereotypical characters, (the black shouty boss, Apone, found in every movie Police Station or army platoon, the wacky one liner in Hudson, the beast of woman Vasquez who loves her guns, and the cool calm resourceful lead in Michael Biehn who basically took his Kyle Reese charactor from two years previous and reprised him with futuristic weapons in Aliens, not to mention the manipulative corporate creep who appears so nice to start with Gorman I think), then lets throw in loads of guns, and multiply the numbers of bad guys a thousand fold, and seeing as it's the 80's movie, lets have a big boss monster at the end....

But it is a classic, it is loads of fun, and I love it, own it and watch it every time it's on. But it's just not a patch on the original in my opinion. Mostly due to it's formula, it just got run through the 80's action movie wizard. Alien was orignal.

Incidentally, I also rate Alien3 as much as I do Aliens. And I suspect I'm in an even smaller minority here and will be subject to much disgust and derision for this opinion. This again is down to the story line though, it's far more involved, David Fincher has gone to great length to recreate the atmosphere and tensity(is this a word) of the original, again it's against all odds, the inmates using resourcefulness to combat the Alien as opposed to the aim and shoot your big powerful gun. The only thing that lets it down is the CGI on the Alien itself in the long shots.

Alien: Resurrection however, can suck my balls.

It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I think Alien is better than Aliens. Alien was fantastic, it was the unknown, it was atmospheric, and the atmosphere was genuinely tense, it lends itself fully to the horror genre as opposed to the action genre, which for this film was a definite plus. The crew are not set up to fight and have to battle on with what they can find, and the never knowing when or where the Alien will strike, alá John hurt at breakfast - what an amazing scene that was first time round.

Aliens for me, is loads of fun, but it's a dumbed down 80's version of a true classic. It's a case of we've had a mega succesful movie, let's throw in some strereotypical characters, (the black shouty boss, Apone, found in every movie Police Station or army platoon, the wacky one liner in Hudson, the beast of woman Vasquez who loves her guns, and the cool calm resourceful lead in Michael Biehn who basically took his Kyle Reese charactor from two years previous and reprised him with futuristic weapons in Aliens, not to mention the manipulative corporate creep who appears so nice to start with Gorman I think), then lets throw in loads of guns, and multiply the numbers of bad guys a thousand fold, and seeing as it's the 80's movie, lets have a big boss monster at the end....

But it is a classic, it is loads of fun, and I love it, own it and watch it every time it's on. But it's just not a patch on the original in my opinion. Mostly due to it's formula, it just got run through the 80's action movie wizard. Alien was orignal.

Incidentally, I also rate Alien3 as much as I do Aliens. And I suspect I'm in an even smaller minority here and will be subject to much disgust and derision for this opinion. This again is down to the story line though, it's far more involved, David Fincher has gone to great length to recreate the atmosphere and tensity(is this a word) of the original, again it's against all odds, the inmates using resourcefulness to combat the Alien as opposed to the aim and shoot your big powerful gun. The only thing that lets it down is the CGI on the Alien itself in the long shots.

Alien: Resurrection however, can suck my balls.

A brilliant film but original? Nah, just a monster film, but set in space. Aliens 3 was a huge opportunity, ****ed up due to too much studio interference.

I agree with Blue_Wes, Alien is a far superior film to Aliens IMO. Alien is full of suspense and atmosphere, whereas Aliens is more of a rollercoaster ride. Also the version of Aliens being shown now, is not what I saw at the cinema all those years ago. Some extra scenes, about 10 minutes or so, have been added which has definitely improved the film, but it still can't beat the original.

Re sequals, I thought Predator 2 was better, Mad Max 2.

Re Star Trek, all the even numbered films were better than the preceding odd ones.

Aliens is my favourite in the franchise as well. I do like Alien a lot, and it looks simply stunning on Blu-Ray btw, but Aliens is an all time classic for me. One of my favourite films ever and surely one of the best action movies ever made.

Alien 3 is a weird one. I quite like it and always have. But I recently watched the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 (not a directors cut because Fincher refused to get involved but it's basically the film he was trying to make before it got gutted by the studio) and it's a very different and much better film. The supporting characters on the prison world are fleshed out much more and are actually individuals with names and personalities but there's actually a huge chunk of the film which was cut out and editted around in the cinematic version so the new cut make some scenes make much more sense.

The latest Alien boxset has a crazy amount of extras on it. I think there's between four and six hours of documentaries on each of the four films. They're actually very interesting too.

As for sequels, I'd agree with T2 (Terminator looks extremely dated now, especially compared to Aliens which still looks fresh today), Empire Strikes Back, Wrath of Khan and Toy Story 2.

Back