• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All singing from the same song sheet?

Delolly

Schoolboy
I cannot believe that Steve Tilson and Paul Brush are 100% behind the recent events at Roots Hall.

If some of the mentioned players do depart, it will leave the management team with a mammoth task to repace them, on maybe comparatively low wages.

Be very careful Mr Martin, the day may come when Steve Tilson and Paul Brush think f*** it, we've had enough, and look for pastures green, and they will find them.

Rember your promises sir, I do.

They don't seem to hold much water at the moment do they?

At the end of the day, Tilly and Brush still have to work with the players next season and if these players who have been transfer listed end up staying, they need to be seen to have "clean hands", otherwise things could get quite awkward. Be under no illusions, they will have been fully informed and maybe even secretly behind the developments relating to the squad.

Tilson has said all along he only wants players here who are committed to Southend. By rejecting these improved contracts the players in question have basically said they will be off unless they get silly wage increases. Doesnt show much committment to me, especially as all the players have been linked with other clubs at some point in the last few months. I think Tilson will be right behind Ron in all of this. Its just a shame Maher was forced out before this happened.

I manage a team. if one of my star performers comes to me and says "I want you to double my salary" then I have to look at my budget and consider three things -

a) Can we afford it?

and

b) Is that money well spent, or could it be better used elsewhere?

and

c) What affect will it have on the rest of the team if one of them is earning substantially more than them?

That is (in a rather simplified manner) the same in any business.

So I'm sure these are the discussions RM and Tilly have had and I'm sure Tilly had his full input into the final decision. Of course if we had an unlimited budget then it would be a no-brainer - we would pay the money and keep Bailey. However we do have to work within financial constraints, I don't doubt that Tilly is completely aware of this and knows he has to work within them. Short of being appointed the new Chelsea manager I don't see how it would be different for him at any other club.

Last edited:
Tilly and Brush have both been around the lower leagues of English football for a number of years now and will know how much players are worth. Tilly likes loyalty, he proved that as a player, and all the players turning down contracts at the moment won't be looked upon favourably

Will we spend the money that comes in or will we just rely on free transfers everywhere? The club is going to struggle within the next few years I unfortunately think. Good luck to them !

Back