• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane All-Time Draft: The Final - poll now added

Who would win out of Team A and Team B?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not at all, from the competition rules:
When voting and determining which side was best we can take into account things like the number of appearances they made for us, the goals they scored in a Southend shirt, the honours they won, the level they played at and the transfer fees they went for.

So, out of 5 criteria above Team A wins 3:

number of appearances for Southend (Team A)
goals scored for Southend (Team A)
Honours won with Southend (Team A)
Level played at with Southend (Team B)
Transfer fees (Team B)

More reasons that Team A will win this :Thumbs up:

Don't even think this is close, Team A is a good team but Team B is something special, full of championship quality

So, out of 5 criteria above Team A wins 3:

number of appearances for Southend (Team A)
goals scored for Southend (Team A)
Honours won with Southend (Team A)
Level played at with Southend (Team B)
Transfer fees (Team B)

More reasons that Team A will win this :Thumbs up:

Hang on, you're changing the criteria:Stunned:. Neither honours won nor levels played at was limited to Southend in the rules.

We need a smiley which is a ref showing a yellow card.

Hang on, you're changing the criteria:Stunned:. Neither honours won nor levels played at was limited to Southend in the rules.

We need a smiley which is a ref showing a yellow card.

Ah, so it’s an all time draft of football overall with a proviso that anyone included must have visited roots hall at some point?

Ah, so it’s an all time draft of football overall with a proviso that anyone included must have visited roots hall at some point?

No, it's a draft of the best players to have played for Southend. What they achieved elsewhere can help us objectively measure their quality. It's not the only measure but it is additional data.

No, it's a draft of the best players to have played for Southend. What they achieved elsewhere can help us objectively measure their quality. It's not the only measure but it is additional data.

Indeed. But it should not eclipse achievements for Southend. We’re Southend fans first and foremost

Indeed. But it should not eclipse achievements for Southend. We’re Southend fans first and foremost
No but lets take Bentley as an example, for me he was championship quality when he played here, the rest of the team were not though. I believe that is validated by the fact that he stepped straight up in the championship and is still playing there now. In contrast you have Jack Payne who got a championship move but didn't cement a regular spot at Huddersfield and has been playing in league one for the past couple of seasons on loan.

No but lets take Bentley as an example, for me he was championship quality when he played here, the rest of the team were not though. I believe that is validated by the fact that he stepped straight up in the championship and is still playing there now. In contrast you have Jack Payne who got a championship move but didn't cement a regular spot at Huddersfield and has been playing in league one for the past couple of seasons on loan.

Ryan Leonard from my team would be a better comparison :Smile:

Yet you picked Peter Taylor, someone who wasn't an automatic selection at Southend (something like a quarter of his apperances were off the bench) and whose potential only began to be realised after he moved on:Think:

So is what people go on to do relevant or not? You can't have it both ways!

I still contend that it is what people do for Southend that matters most. I saw all of Whelan's games and yes, he could pick out a pass, but he couldn't run and his efforts in management relegate him to being more harm than good at Southend.

(FWIW we established in earlier rounds that we're treating managing and playing careers separately, which is just as well for you when you picked Spud)

The bigger problem you've got is that you're going to be completely overrun and outclassed in midfield. fbm's midfield is probably the best in the draft whilst you are going with a 3 man midfield when one of them is a winger. Without control of the midfield, nor a target man to help bypass the midfield, your star forward line is going to be starved of opportunities.

Yet you picked Peter Taylor, someone who wasn't an automatic selection at Southend (something like a quarter of his apperances were off the bench) and whose potential only began to be realised after he moved on:Think:

(FWIW we established in earlier rounds that we're treating managing and playing careers separately, which is just as well for you when you picked Spud)

The bigger problem you've got is that you're going to be completely overrun and outclassed in midfield. fbm's midfield is probably the best in the draft whilst you are going with a 3 man midfield when one of them is a winger. Without control of the midfield, nor a target man to help bypass the midfield, your star forward line is going to be starved of opportunities.

Bitter that my team thrashed yours in the last round much? :Smile:

Bitter that my team thrashed yours in the last round much? :Smile:

Was I bitter when I made the same argument in previous rounds before I was knocked out?

Can understand why you would want to dodge the question of how your midfield would cope though.

Was I bitter when I made the same argument in previous rounds before I was knocked out?

Can understand why you would want to dodge the question of how your midfield would cope though.

You were wrong then (and thrashed to prove it) and are wrong again now. I'll give you marks for consistency though! :Moon::Winking2:

Back