• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All time favourite in each sport?

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
Stolen from Facebook and thought again it would make an interesting thread.

Cricket - Tim Bresnan - Not the greatest but I loved to watch him and thought he was massively underrated in some truly great teams.

Darts - Phil Taylor - Grew up with Rod Harrington’s son as my best mate. Met a lot of darts players over the years but Taylor was just brilliant! He was the king of darts.

F1 - Fernando Alonso - controversial but he was someone I loved watched and he oozed class. He knocked Schumacher off his perch with a car that wasn’t as good as the Ferrari. 2 years on the bounce. I hope he wins the Indy 500 soon and becomes only the second man to win the triple crown.

Football - Ryan Giggs - I’ve gone non Southend as they’re my favourites. Giggsy was class and I watched a lot of him growing up and wanted to be like him as a footballer.

Rugby - N/A don’t do egg ball.

Tennis - Roger Federer - Watched a young Federer beat the dominant Pete Sampras at Wimbledon and that was it I was hooked. Enjoyed his whole career and the bloke makes it look effortless.

Golf - Tiger Woods - I grew up watching his dominance and you couldn’t not watch in pure amazement.

Athletics - Usain Bolt - Chicken Nuggets, untied laces, slowing down to celebrate and still holds multiple world records. The guy is an absolute legend and a really nice bloke.

Olympian - Bradley Wiggins - Made it look easy for all those years and did it in so many different disciplines within his sport.

Sport Commentator - Murray Walker - AND ITS GO GO GO. The beautiful words and also the kiss of death that man put on drivers races. The amount of times he would say and nothing can stop him, then his engine would blow. The pure emotion he showed the season Damon Hill won the world title showed his passion for the sport and he is greatly missed

Boxer - Mike Tyson - First ever boxer I watched and paid for a PPV. I watched all of his fights back on YouTube and have always been a massive fan. I think I was the only one who wanted him to beat Lennox. And I love Lennox too!

Snooker - Ronnie O’Sullivan - Don’t watch much snooker but when I do he is amazing to watch.

Basketball - Kobe Bryant - Watched a lot of Jordan when I was growing up but Bryant was something special.

American football - Don’t do American Hand Ball.

Cricket - Ian Botham. All round entertainer whenever he was out there, whether bowling or batting. Not too bad on the football pitch either. Honourable mention for Derek Randall who was the court jester so often.

Darts - Eric Bristow. Just loved watching him. Character and arrogance.

F1 - Ayrton Senna. Immeasurable.

Football - Assuming we're staying away from Southend, then I'm going for Stuart Pearson, Man U forward in the late 70s. This was a time when I actually enjoyed watching Man U, with Coppell and the Greenhoff brothers. Quality.

Rugby - Andy Irvine. He's about the only player who made me at all interested in rugby.

Tennis - Jimmy Connors. Another player who liked to muck about at times. Found him funny to watch, and he was a damn good player too.

Golf - Sevvy. King of golf for me, tragic how young he died.

Athletics - Roger Black. Bit of a crush thing I think, lol, but he and his 4 x 400m relay team mates were wonderful! Always comes over as a really nice guy on Question of Sport too.

Boxer - N/A. Can't abide boxing, hate it with a passion. What sport is there in watching two men knock seven kinds of **** out of each other and leaving the opponent potentially brain damaged from all those head blows? It's absolutely vile.

Snooker - Steve Davis. Honestly.

Basketball - Erm, no idea ....Harlem Globetrotters?

American football - N/A. Not a clue, not interested.

Olympian - Steve Redgrave. You can't not really, absolute legend.

Sport Commentator - Love the old boys still at the cricket, Bumble is brilliant. There's something very soothing and comforting about them, though I agree with @Ricey that Murray Walker was excellent too.

Cricket - Ian Botham, I love a maverick

Darts - Co Stompe, don't know why but I particularly took to him from the first time I saw him play

F1 - Gilles Villeneuve, a tragic loss to the sport

Football - Eric Cantona, I love a maverick

Rugby - no thanks

Tennis - John McEnroe, I love a maverick

Golf - Nick Faldo

Athletics - Daley Thompson, I love a maverick

Olympian - as above

Sport Commentator - Murray Walker

Boxer - Joe Bugner, you get the idea

Snooker - Jimmy White, yep

Basketball - nope

American football - I used the follow the Washington Redskins back in the 1980s when C4 covered NFL, I don't know why

Last edited:
Cricket - Chris Gayle. The universe boss himself, triple century's, t20 records, nobody clears the ropes like this guy.

Darts - Gerwyn Price, new to darts and like him

F1 - nigel mansell, decent moustache

Football - RICKY OTTO

Rugby - Jason Robinson

Tennis - Anna Korinkova, I don't like tennis

Golf - Shane Lowry, won me big money last year

Athletics - Usain Bolt

Olympian - Usain Bolt

Sport Commentator - Mark Lawrenson, his negativity cracks me up

Boxer - Chris Eubank snr

Snooker - Ronnie O sullivan I suppose, find it dull though

Basketball - Dennis Rodman

American football - Dan Marino as he was in ace ventura

Cricket - David Gower the greatest text book batsman ever and a gentleman.

Golf - Nick Faldo,at last we had a player who could win majors for fun.

Athletics - Seb Coe he could fill a stadium,wonderful runner.

Olympian - Steve Redgrave, golds galore an out and out winner all wrapped up in a union jack.

Sport commentator - Dan Maskell had the lot unlike the idiots today.

Boxer - Ali.we all know why,

Snooker - Alex Higgins bad boy but snooker owes him everything and more

Basketball - Harlem globe trotters is my only knowledge great fun.

American football - Burt Reynolds scoring that late winner for the Mean Machine magical.

Cricket: Ian Botham...Aussie Basher..
Darts: Eric Bristow...you had to be good to be that arrogant.
F 1: James Hunt....Not the best, but exciting to watch.
Football. George Best, a short career, but magical.
Rugby: Jonah Lomu, bulldozer of a man
Tennis: McEnroe. We all love a maverick.
Golf: Sevvy. We all love a maverick.
Athletics: Daley Thompson....
Olympian: Usain Bolt....need I say more.
Sports Commentator: Always enjoyed Brian Moore. ITV
Boxer: Could only be Muhammad Ali
Snooker: Alex Higgins. We all love a maverick.
Basketball: Harlem Globetrotters. Saw them in the 60s.
American Football: Give me Rugby any day.

Ian Botham
George Best or Bobby Moore ..SUFC not players not allowed
Daley Thompson
James Hunt
what a session in the" Spread Eagle" that would be,Richard Burton and Oliver Reed would have been already been thrown out!!

Cricket - Jack Russell

Darts - dont care

F1 - Hakkinen

Football - Matt le Tissier

Rugby - Jonah Lomu

Golf - Seve

Athletics - Jonathan Edwards

Olympian - Daley Thompson

Sport Commentator - Brian Moore

Boxer - Barry McGuigan - united North and South

Snooker - Steve Davis (followed by Tony Drago)

Basketball - MJ

American football The Fridge

Cricket - Goochie

Darts - Bobby George

F1 - Schumacher

Football - Mark Bentley

Rugby - Israel Folau

Golf - Tiger Woods

Athletics - Sergey Bubka

Olympian - Sergey Bubka

Sport Commentator - Barry Davies

Boxer - George Foreman

Snooker - Steve Davis

Basketball - John Stockton

American football: John Riggins

Hockey: Patrick Roy

Baseball: Grant Balfour

Stolen from Facebook and thought again it would make an interesting thread.

Cricket - Tim Bresnan - Not the greatest but I loved to watch him and thought he was massively underrated in some truly great teams.

Cricket - Graham Gooch - Essex and England legend and at one time the number one batsman in the world. His captaincy turned England from a wine appreciation old boys club who couldn't run a lap of the field without throwing up to the professional outfit they have become.

Darts - Love my darts and yes Taylor is without doubt the greatest but the one I want to see win is Simon Whitlock the wizard of OZ! One of the nicest blokes on the circuit by all accounts.

F1 - Won't watch it now but was a fan back in the day. Nelson Piquet was my choice.

Football - Italia 90 - Lineker. He got us out of Gaol against Cameroon and so nearly got us to the final in that unforgettable match against the Germans. Odd really as I can't stand the bloke now.

Rugby - Martin Johnson. Simply the greatest player to ever play for England. Would have walked into any team probably at anytime of his career and that includes the All Blacks.

Tennis - Not really my cup of tea or glass of Pimm's

Golf - Faldo - not the most likable of people but he was a winner and along with Seve, he helped start a period of domination for European golf. Oh, and he won six majors.

Athletics - Back in the day you were either a Ovett or Coe household.
Our house was a Ovett one.

Olympian - Steve Redgrave - probably the only reason I would even contemplate watching rowing.

Sport Commentator - Sid Waddell - "When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer... Bristow's only 27."
There is no more to be said.

Boxer - Seen a lot of fights back in the 90's. Seen Nigel Ben on a few occasions and remember going to the Cardiff Arms Park to see Bruno fight Lewis. Never wanted Frank to win so much than that night - I don't think there was hardly anyone supporting Lewis that night.
But for me, nothing has been so electrifying as Mike Tyson bursting onto the scene.
He was just amazing.

Snooker - Steve Interesting Davis - true gentleman of the sport.

Basketball - Would rather lick the M25 clean with my tongue than watch this pony.

American football - Love the sport but don't follow individual players. Once you understand what's going on it's actually a really good sport. The only American sport I can sit through.

Back