• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All time favourite music tracks

The most impossible task but 3 tracks that I will always listen to when they come up on the ipod, unfortunately I have no idea how to upload stuff.

1 Mr Big by Free, Free Live album. 4 young (at the time) musicians playing at a level I've never seen before or since, Paul Rogers vocals were everything they could have been, every note and nuance is perfect in the context of the performance. Simon Kirkes drumming is nothing short of a masterclass, simple and muscular, it drives the song and gives it a base. Andy Fraser, I think he was 17 at the time, plays the bass like a veteran who has discovered a new way of playing, his notes and the fluidity is brilliance itself. Paul Kossof, one of my favourite guitarists ever, he was the master of wringing every tortured emotion out of each and every note. The track astonished me when I first heard it in 1970ish, it still does.

2 Heroin by Lou Reed, Rock and Roll Animal (live). The best track ever written about smack, nothing has ever come close to it IMO. Lou delivers every lyric as a personal statement, which it was, and the guitar playing by Steve Hunter is ridiculously brilliant and captures every meaning that the song imparts. emotive notes and crashing chords are all there.

3 Dweller on the Threshold by Van Morrison, Beautiful Vision. I'm not sure i would describe myself as spiritual but this song captures the very essence of it, it pounds forward all the time and seems without time, its Van, so its arrangement is perfection, the guitars keep the tune and the brass adds the highlights. I wouldn't necessarily say its his best track but its one could never pass over.

Impossible to name just 3, but on current listening list are (tried to pick different genres). I love the Beasties as much as I do the Beatles… and a bit of Marvin!

1. The Beatles - Don’t let me down

2. Marvin Gaye - What’s goin on

3. Beastie Boys - Ch Ch Check it out

Got to go again, I'm afraid, too many good ones in my head.

James - don't sit down

Elbow One day like this (always reminds of the Play- off final video)

And Mott the Hoople with Thunderthighs -Roll away the stone

As others have said - an almost impossible task - would change daily - but would probably feature the Shadows, Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy, Meatloaf, Rory Gallagher, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Van Morrison, many many blues artistes, many many Motown and Stax artistes - the list is endless

Five years ago I turned 40 and wrote a three-part blog called 40 Memorable Songs. If you fancy a quick break from work, below is part one...

Five years ago I turned 40 and wrote a three-part blog called 40 Memorable Songs. If you fancy a quick break from work, below is part one...

Cracking reads @Kris, as I'm longer a worker I took a quick break from retirement to read them! Some of your choices brought back memories and thinking on what you did and why, a while ago I ventured into buying a Brennan b2 box and stashed all my old CDs onto this one box. Had a great time remembering some of the tracks and being able to compile play lists based on old and new memories. And also cheered up Mrs RHB by clearing all those dusty CDs off the shelves with far more space for woman bits to replace them.

Back