• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All time smallest Southend XI.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the great Mr WJB Best. Springs in his heels that enabled him to outjump much taller defenders and one of the finest headers of a football. Wee Davy Cunningham has to be there:one of those blokes that could start a fight in an empty room.

John Burridge wasn't that tall for a goalkeeper, as I recall.

Last edited:
Manger could be a money grabbing fat Judas who's name I don't want to write!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the great Mr WJB Best. Springs in his heels that enabled him to outjump much taller defenders and one of the finest headers of a football. Wee Davy Cunningham has to be there:one of those blokes that could start a fight in an empty room.

John Burridge wasn't that tall for a goalkeeper, as I recall.

Ah yes, King Billie at 5ft 7ins - does he qualify?

Glenn Morris, Mel Capleton

Che Wilson, Christian Hyslop, Andy Harris

Kevin O'Callaghan, Jason Cook

Mark Rawle, Barrington Belgrave

I started watching Blues in 1963 and we had a winger called Billy Wall who seemed rather short in stature but I’ve not been able to find data on him. He had a bad habit of crossing the line and catching the ball when it was kicked out (badly) from defence though gave a bored stadium a good laugh when he caught it once before it had crossed the line. We probably conceded from the free kick but I don’t actually remember!

Interesting that many of the examples of "shorter than most" centre-backs people are citing were actually good centre-backs.

Proof that even for a centre-back, size isn't everything?

Dave Cunningham wasn't called "Wee Davey Cunningham" for no reason - he was quite short.

There was a centre back in the early seventies called Mike Harrison - he was not very tall.

Back