• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
As mentioned on the Rob Kiernan saga thread, Phil Gridelet's career may well have been a piece of performance art.
He's going to be my captain in my all-time Southend comedy XI.

Who have I missed?

GK Mel Capelton - Mel holds off professional funnyman Terry Alderton for this role with his unpredictable routines.

RB Andy Harris - a walking audition for Danny Baker's own goals and gaffes, we're still waiting to see if Andy is going to choose to play for England u21s or the USA. His finest moment at Roots Hall was skying a clearance straight up in the air to set up the only goal of the game. Fortunately Harris was playing for Chester at the time and Laurie Dudfield tucked it away.

LB Dave McSweeney - the Sweeney gets in mainly for his ability to switch between the sublime and the ridiculous. Who else remembers the day he first pulled that Cruyff turn out of nowhere? Glorious. No stranger to the own goal either.

CB Bilel Mohsni - Bilel was nothing if not box office. From thumping the pitch to thumping the ball in from 30 yards to thumping the opposition Bilel had it all. If something ridiculous happened you knew he'd be in the middle of it. Who else could after 3 months out for disciplinary reasons be sent off first match back for an accidental flying karate kick?

CB Leo Roget - scoring 35 yard free-kicks in extra time, instigating punch-ups, banging on the Barnet dressing room when they were playing their stereo too loud - Leo was another one in the thick of the action. Who else could have get sent off for impersonating Jerone Boere?

RW Dom Iorfa - a born entertainer. My favourite Dom story pre-dates his Southend days and was during a QPR reserve match when he waited for Ray Wilkins to come over to take a throw-in. He waited until Butch got next to him and then for no reason at all threw the ball over his head and just grinned. Textbook Iorfa that he continued into his Southend career.

LW Ricky Otto - whether being chased by a hammer in Cosenza or trying to nutmeg a defender just to get the defender to lose his temper Ricky Otto played with a massive grin on his face and a real sense of mischief.

CM Phil Gridelet (c) - best remembered for his Andy Rammell contact lens routine, Grids was the quintessential comedy performer. His innocent face after diving/hacking someone down was often worth the price of admission alone.

CM Russ Williamson - I'm pretty certain he must have run through the legs of a gangly defender at some stage of his career. Gets in ahead of Derek Payne in the comedy dwarf stakes despite Payne's Speedie work.

CF Tes Bramble - Tes was another versatile comedy performer. His greatest hits includes hiding from police sniffer dogs behind a hedge, his awesome cameo in goal v Boston and of course an own goal against Orient.

CF Big Bad Barry Corr - I can't actually remember any Corr funny stories but it feels as if there should have been loads and that's good enough for me.

Sub
(1) Bedsente Gomis - the most glorious half hour cameo in Southend history
(2) Gareth Risbridger - the most glorious 60 second cameo in Southend history

Gareth Risbridgers sole appearance will be for ever in my memory, Mental ...

Other comedy moments . The Free kick routine where the player running over the ball didn't get out of the way quick enough (Was it Ling and Ansah ?)
A Free Kick being rolled to Frank Lampard who promptly fell over .
The Return of Kohn Keeley , facing a penalty in front of the North Bank he is getting untold abuse , The Penalty hits the bar and Rockets skyward, Kelley jumps to his feet and pops behind the goal to give it to the home fans, mean while the ball plummets to earth and into the 6 yard box , all hell breaks out as Brighton try to clear their lines as the Northbak continue to keep JK occupied.
Cocky ball boy who leapt like a salmon to take a shot from a Wimbledon player , only to catch it superbly and get carried over the wall and into the southbank

Just remembered a Tranmere winger on an icy Roots hall, being thrown the ball to take a corner at the south, losing is footing on the ice slope and doing a comedy slide into the perimeter wall

As mentioned on the Rob Kiernan saga thread, Phil Gridelet's career may well have been a piece of performance art.
He's going to be my captain in my all-time Southend comedy XI.

Who have I missed?

GK Mel Capelton - Mel holds off professional funnyman Terry Alderton for this role with his unpredictable routines.

RB Andy Harris - a walking audition for Danny Baker's own goals and gaffes, we're still waiting to see if Andy is going to choose to play for England u21s or the USA. His finest moment at Roots Hall was skying a clearance straight up in the air to set up the only goal of the game. Fortunately Harris was playing for Chester at the time and Laurie Dudfield tucked it away.

LB Dave McSweeney - the Sweeney gets in mainly for his ability to switch between the sublime and the ridiculous. Who else remembers the day he first pulled that Cruyff turn out of nowhere? Glorious. No stranger to the own goal either.

CB Bilel Mohsni - Bilel was nothing if not box office. From thumping the pitch to thumping the ball in from 30 yards to thumping the opposition Bilel had it all. If something ridiculous happened you knew he'd be in the middle of it. Who else could after 3 months out for disciplinary reasons be sent off first match back for an accidental flying karate kick?

CB Leo Roget - scoring 35 yard free-kicks in extra time, instigating punch-ups, banging on the Barnet dressing room when they were playing their stereo too loud - Leo was another one in the thick of the action. Who else could have get sent off for impersonating Jerone Boere?

RW Dom Iorfa - a born entertainer. My favourite Dom story pre-dates his Southend days and was during a QPR reserve match when he waited for Ray Wilkins to come over to take a throw-in. He waited until Butch got next to him and then for no reason at all threw the ball over his head and just grinned. Textbook Iorfa that he continued into his Southend career.

LW Ricky Otto - whether being chased by a hammer in Cosenza or trying to nutmeg a defender just to get the defender to lose his temper Ricky Otto played with a massive grin on his face and a real sense of mischief.

CM Phil Gridelet (c) - best remembered for his Andy Rammell contact lens routine, Grids was the quintessential comedy performer. His innocent face after diving/hacking someone down was often worth the price of admission alone.

CM Russ Williamson - I'm pretty certain he must have run through the legs of a gangly defender at some stage of his career. Gets in ahead of Derek Payne in the comedy dwarf stakes despite Payne's Speedie work.

CF Tes Bramble - Tes was another versatile comedy performer. His greatest hits includes hiding from police sniffer dogs behind a hedge, his awesome cameo in goal v Boston and of course an own goal against Orient.

CF Big Bad Barry Corr - I can't actually remember any Corr funny stories but it feels as if there should have been loads and that's good enough for me.

Sub
(1) Bedsente Gomis - the most glorious half hour cameo in Southend history
(2) Gareth Risbridger - the most glorious 60 second cameo in Southend history

Red card Ron? Paul Byrne, he was funny.....well when I saw him drunk leaning over a wall he was.

Gareth Risbridgers sole appearance will be for ever in my memory, Mental ...

Other comedy moments . The Free kick routine where the player running over the ball didn't get out of the way quick enough (Was it Ling and Ansah ?)
A Free Kick being rolled to Frank Lampard who promptly fell over .
The Return of Kohn Keeley , facing a penalty in front of the North Bank he is getting untold abuse , The Penalty hits the bar and Rockets skyward, Kelley jumps to his feet and pops behind the goal to give it to the home fans, mean while the ball plummets to earth and into the 6 yard box , all hell breaks out as Brighton try to clear their lines as the Northbak continue to keep JK occupied.
Cocky ball boy who leapt like a salmon to take a shot from a Wimbledon player , only to catch it superbly and get carried over the wall and into the southbank

Just remembered a Tranmere winger on an icy Roots hall, being thrown the ball to take a corner at the south, losing is footing on the ice slope and doing a comedy slide into the perimeter wall

The free-kick routine was under Spud v Watford. I strongly suspect Grids was involved.

I'm guessing it's optimistic asking for youtube on the Keeley incident. Maybe Cricko recorded it on his betamax. Was Keeley a more consistent comedy performer than Melvin Capelton? I remember Mel once picking up a back pass for no good reason.

The ball boy gets included.

I'd also like to find a place for Rob Newman. For his Essex Senior Club exploits and in particular his 25 yard slide tackle on Mark Hateley at a very wet Hull.

Alan Foggon - remember watching him training with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and then unsurprisingly being pretty crap at push ups.

Leo Roget for imitating Jeroen Boere and getting sent off - bloody annoying but pure comedy!

Red card Ron? Paul Byrne, he was funny.....well when I saw him drunk leaning over a wall he was.

I presume you mean Red Card Roy!

Good shout on Byrne. I remember one match, I think at Luton, he'd been left out of the starting XI amidst rumours that he'd been out on the **** and was warming up. They had one of those mascots (presumably some sort of Hatter) with big clown shows. he managed to persuade the Hatter(?) to lend him his oversize clown shoes.

The free-kick routine was under Spud v Watford. I strongly suspect Grids was involved.

I'm guessing it's optimistic asking for youtube on the Keeley incident. Maybe Cricko recorded it on his betamax. Was Keeley a more consistent comedy performer than Melvin Capelton? I remember Mel once picking up a back pass for no good reason.

The ball boy gets included.

I'd also like to find a place for Rob Newman. For his Essex Senior Club exploits and in particular his 25 yard slide tackle on Mark Hateley at a very wet Hull.
Keeley was playing for Brighton at the time

David Roche must get a shout somewhere - wasn't he arrested watching a game from the stand?

I presume you mean Red Card Roy!

Good shout on Byrne. I remember one match, I think at Luton, he'd been left out of the starting XI amidst rumours that he'd been out on the **** and was warming up. They had one of those mascots (presumably some sort of Hatter) with big clown shows. he managed to persuade the Hatter(?) to lend him his oversize clown shoes.

Yes Roy, typo... I have the book, Byrne reminded me of Paul Gascoigne, a lot of skill but very wild.

A young Warren May for his blatant red card for a full on rugby tackle in chasing down a striker who was running towards our north bank goal on a 1 on 1. Classic.

The legend that is Adam Barrett for his attempted goal line clearing comedy toe stubbing in the mud v col u ( was it live on tv too, to add to his embarrassment?)

Don't leave Johnny Neilson out of this. He looked like an elf and played left wing at Maine Road and looked like he had won an Evening Echo competition to start a game for Southend United.

The team would have to be managed by Colin Murphy, though I'm sure he paid a professional comedy writer to pen his programme notes.

Alan Glover lasted 30 seconds on his debut on loan from WBA .

Back