• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After some criticism last season , Barker has played really well this season , but yesterday ( like a few others ) he looked jaded and in need of a rest.
He has played a lot of games for us at CB , and FB requires a lot more energy in getting up and down the pitch.
I hope Sturrock gives him a break on Saturday and sure he will come back strong again.

Totally agree about Dave Martin's workrate and that's why it's a shame that he just doesn't seem to be delivering what Sturrock wants. Sturrock has said that he feels that Martin's passing isn't great and he struggles to deliver that final telling contribution. Personally I'd give him another chance on the left wing and allow Timlin to get central.

Dave Martin is for my mind not up to scratch. His works rate hides the fact that he is a pretty poor winger. I dont think he has created much given his forward role in the side. I was delighted when we got him but I think he has been a massive disapointment.

I also have not forgiven him for Accrington's last minute goal last season when he missed the ball on the near post allowing them to score. A goal which had it not gone in I think you will find would have seen us go up. There were a few goals like that in fairness to Dave but this is one that sticks in my mind.

I also have not forgiven him for Accrington's last minute goal last season when he missed the ball on the near post allowing them to score. A goal which had it not gone in I think you will find would have seen us go up. .

True but the reason 10 man Accy had two successive corners right at the end of that game was because Kane Ferdinand was show boating when we were up their end and cheaply gave away possession. If you blame Martin for that, I attach equal blame to Kane for wasting possession!!! :winking: I don't think, however, that Martin has shown enough quality in the games he has featured to convince PS he is the answer on the left.

Clohessy is the first name on the team-sheet. Best and most consistent player in our team. Can't believe I've read someone asking for him to be dropped.

Last edited:
Since Sturrock has taken over we have tried several alternatives at left full back and of the lot (including those who are no longer at the club) Barker is the best option. Struggled yesterday as Whelpdale was very good but I'm ok with seeing Barks there for the time being.

I actually think it's worth trying Straker on the left of midfield and moving Timlin inside.
He gets forward well and although he was criticised earlier in the season for his defensive positioning , he would give decent cover to Barker when faced with a fast / tricky winger.

Clohessy is the first name on the team-sheet. Best and most consistent player in our team. Can't believe I've read someone asking for him to be dropped.
This. solid at the back, cracking going forward last year with hall and this year with hurst, the two of them create so many chances from their interplay, its brilliant to watch.

barker is a good player but his lack of pace and athleticism showed against gillingham, struggled to give support to timlin and was beaten a few times by whelpdale on pace but im not convinced on strakers ability, need to see him have a bit of a run in the side to make a judgment, just hope he doesnt **** it up!

I appreciate I am in a minortiy here but I really feel that the side would benefit from having a better athlete than Barker going down the left. I like Barker to a large degree but our left side is nothing short of appauling when going forward.

I dont think Barker is bad when he goes forward but he cant really offer any attacking outlet as his legs wont get him back. Timlin whilst hot and cold again I really like but he is not a winger. As a result almost every chance we have comes from the right.

I really feel we either need a proper left winger who is not Dave Martin or we need a left back that can attack. I dont think Straker has had the best of starts for us but he is fast, a great athelete, he was good for Aldershot in the same position and most importantly he offers some form of attacking threat.

Am I on my own here?

I see what you are saying, there isn't much between them overall, I just think they offer different things. For me Barker can get forward and deliver a good cross, and I really think his centre back knowledge helps us during set piece defence, plus he is the captain and sometimes his determination and influence can pick the team up.

Maybe Strakers future could be on the wing, if we lose Tam and or Lairdy, Timlin will go middle and then we could see Straker (or Martin) on the left.

Sturrock made a comment following the game yesterday that one area of the team still needed strengthening, and we would see what the area was when he bought someone in.

Thinking about this I can only think that he means either the left side of midfield or a defensive midfielder now that Tam's gone.

If he did mean left midfield then I think that's a shame for Dave Martin who I like, however, the current arangement does need some improving. I'm a huge fan of Barker and think he's had a great season at left back, but I do agree that he may need a dedicated left winger in front of him to take some of the pressure off and relieve him of some of his attacking responsibilities. I don't think his lack of pace was so evident when Dave Martin was playing in front of him.

So, original question - give Straker a chance at left back or not. I'm not sure it would help that much - if Straker got forward more, Timlin would still have to drop back to cover. I think we need a starting left winger who can work with Barker and link with our current midfield to that Barker can remain back where he's needed. Hurst for me is a workhorse on the right wing who covers a huge amount of the pitch - if we could have the same player/relationship on the left it would be a real step forward.

Still, it would be nice to get Straker to the standard where he could rotate with Barker at left back, even coming on later in the game for some fresh legs and the possibility of a getting forward to attack more.

i agree, which is why i would have liked Martin to work out, but clearly Sturrock doesn't fancy him so let's move him on and get someone similar who he does fancy

There's a "left back in the changing room" joke to be done about Straker if anyone wants to set me up?

You cant argue that Clohessey has been pretty much 8 out of ten every game for the last 2 years , but the last 2 games he actually looked unwell rather than anything . At least we have Leonard as a ready made replacement until Clohessey is 100% again. So we have no worries on the right hand side...

As for the left wing , As much as Dave Martin has great potential , he just doesnt produce enough, which is a massive shame as he really can be a match winner for us. I wonder if Sturrock will off load him + have another look at that little fella who scored a couple at Braintree pre season + then went off to play for some non league club...what was his name ???

You cant argue that Clohessey has been pretty much 8 out of ten every game for the last 2 years , but the last 2 games he actually looked unwell rather than anything . At least we have Leonard as a ready made replacement until Clohessey is 100% again. So we have no worries on the right hand side...

As for the left wing , As much as Dave Martin has great potential , he just doesnt produce enough, which is a massive shame as he really can be a match winner for us. I wonder if Sturrock will off load him + have another look at that little fella who scored a couple at Braintree pre season + then went off to play for some non league club...what was his name ???

Stephen Brogan....

I've said it before but Straker told me PS likes to have one full-back to get forward more than the other so he was trying to change his game a little. Clohessy is our attacking full-back which is probably why Straker has played mostly LM when in the team. My guess is when Tam goes back Timlin will be back in the centre with Straker left side.

Don't think it will be a problem Saturday. If there isn't some news soon then the question will be more who is going to partner Timlin in the centre of midfield. The deadline for F.A. Cup signings is I believe earler than for a League match.

The only way Mr Straker is going to get an opportunity is if we adopt a song on his behalf - how about the Abba classic "Straker chance on me"?

Back