• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one old-ish guy speaking to the steward at the end as we left and I overheard "I wasn't racist, I was shouting at all of them!"

Not sure what was said, but I'm sure we will find out. Not good if it turns out to be true. Added to the fan swinging for Wilkinson, not the greatest night in our history!

If it was an elderly man he could have been using the word "black" as descriptive in whatever was said, unfortunately that's simply not acceptable these days.

I'm sure we'll find out in due course.

Two or three Woking players were walking from their supporters post match and got level with their dugout. One of our supporters shouted "get back in your cage". This is verbatim and was heard by stewards, our cameraman and Woking director who was following me down the Directors stairs towards the pitch.

One white, one black Woking player stopped, pointed at our supporter and had to be moved from the scene by several of us as the potential for an inflamed situation ( our supporters were exiting past the dugouts towards two very animated players who felt one was racially abused by those comments ) was growing by the second. Emotions were running high so I wanted the players and staff back in the tunnel as I'd already told them that several people, me included, heard the comments clearly and staying where they were had the potential for the situation to accelerate quickly.

A Woking player asked if something would be done, and I responded that the Police had been informed and everyone who heard the comments had passed this on to the Police. I then asked the Police if they wanted to chat to the player as he felt he was racially abused ( supporter protested that there were no racial motivations) , and the player, his manager and I listened to Essex Police ask "would you like to make a racially aggravated complaint ". He responded "yes".

It is now being dealt with by Police.

Last edited:
Two or three Woking players were walking from their supporters post match and got level with their dugout. One of our supporters shouted "get back in your cage". This is verbatim and was heard by stewards, our cameraman and Woking director who was following me down the Directors stairs towards the pitch.

One white, one black Woking player stopped, pointed at our supporter and had to be moved from the scene by several of us as the potential for an inflamed situation ( our supporters were exiting past the dugouts towards two very animated players who felt one was racially abused by those comments ) was growing by the second. Emotions were running high so I wanted the players and staff back in the tunnel as I'd already told them that several people, me included, heard the comments clearly and staying where they were had the potential for the situation to accelerate quickly.

A Woking player asked if something would be done, and I responded that the Police had been informed and everyone who heard the comments had passed this on to the Police. I then asked the Police if they wanted to chat to the player felt he was racially abused ( supporter protested that there were no racial motivations) , and the player, his manager and I listened to Essex Police ask "would you like to make a racially aggravated complaint ". He responded "yes".

Incredibly disappointing to hear

A Woking player asked if something would be done, and I responded that the Police had been informed and everyone who heard the comments had passed this on to the Police. I then asked the Police if they wanted to chat to the player as he felt he was racially abused ( supporter protested that there were no racial motivations) , and the player, his manager and I listened to Essex Police ask "would you like to make a racially aggravated complaint ". He responded "yes".

I wasn't there, but sounds horrible. Your intervention (as described) and post is excellent Stan. Drive any chance of racist filth out of our beautiful game, and out of our society.

That simply isn't acceptable, there has been instances of racism at our games before.

Even on this forum some recent posts have crossed the line leading to people calling each other out over it.

It's not okay, people need to pull each other up for it.

That’s not a racist remark for Christ sake
What’s kept in cages and what we’re kept in cages? It’s an inference towards being an animal or slavery.. not a direct slur.. however, what did the user of the phrase mean by it? How is that a relevant statement to use?

Emotions my be high with incompetent refs and time wasting cheats are always rewarded The players and coaches have never been more protected and they have never gone further out of their way to wind up other teams fans......But you cant make racist comments....Everyone knows that.

Stick to punching players, they need to know you cant mess with the East Green Ultras....

The club gets enough bad press for our financial issues.. the last thing we need right now is fans attacking and racially abusing (whether you believe the comment made was racist or not) opposition players.

Reactions: Ted
If that comment was said it’s not right depending on the context. But probably not helped by the entire Woking squad goading the East stand and laughing as they walked off the pitch. As I say if said not right at all if meant in that context. But if they just walked off the pitch like a professional team likely nothing would have happened.

Last edited:
I spoke to the person concerned who was referring to the players as "animals".

Quite relevant to being in cages,

Perhaps he felt, after just seeing the actions of the fighting Woking players they should be caged as being wild.

When you hear it put like that, you can kind of understand. The English language is a tricky path to tread when it can be construed as racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back