• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Allergies and allergic reactions??

Do not leave the house without your Epi-pen EVER. It should really have all been explained to you, but in the case of an allergic reaction, then the epi-pen should be administered - you hold it like a dagger pointing at the outside of your thigh and thrust it against your thigh (not hard enough to bruise, but hard enough to feel) and hold it there for a count (I'd have to check how long, think it's 20), it should give a "click" to show it's worked. This administers adrenaline directly into your blood stream. Once used it needs replacing - if you ask, you should be able to have a practise with some "empty" ones, but Pubey is right - speak to your GP.

just to add, rub the area immediately afterwards to assist in the dissipation

Regularly check the unused ones to make sure they are not out of date.

To be honest , it may be of help , if god forbid you collapse in public, to wear a bracelet identifying the problem. It would certainly assist any first aiders etc who may well be able to look for the epi pen a bit quicker.

The symptoms do sound a bit anaphylactic to me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaphylaxis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

They may not know what causes it yet, I would suggest that there may be a number of "scratch" tests on the horizon

On the upside, at least you won't have to worry about Prescription Charges (in the near future!)

It has happens at the most oddest of times…… in the morning when getting to work, 2 in the morning 5 weeks ago, and then 4:am this morning, so as you say, maybe it is an intolerance to something, because it can not be instant if it happens at 4 in the morning. It is odd but I seem to get it after talking to Pubey on here (only joking JT). In all seriousness and as BS said above, it could end up killing me if i am not prepared next time, they even suggested some sort of bracelet….not sure what the Doc was saying as I was in so much discomfort at the time.

I have been given an 8 week course of Fexofenadine 120 mg as a prevention to it happening, all well and good but once the course has finished I guess that it could just happen again.

Good advise with the diary, my GP did suggest that as well but if i am honest, there is absolutely nothing that I can pinpoint that i am eating or drinking differently, we have not changed any cleaning products and I feel pretty good in general with stress levels at work.

Defeatist attitude! keep the diary anyway> it could save you life! It doesn't have to be too wordy, just note-form will do, and it is easier for looking back on later if you divide the pages into two: on the left record the doings of your day: record everything - what you eat, what you drink (including eatng out and takaways), perfumes worn and products used (by you and the lady at your side...), where you have been, what you have done: on the right record how you feel, both physically and mentally and also emotionally, and not just the full-blown big-time reactions but everything including any little headache, nausea, temperature changes, shakes or giddiness or whatever else, also note down when you are feeling good, or really godd, as this is an indication that you have not been exposed to the allegen, and this also could be really helpful beasue somewhere in all of htis you might just find the link. I have a problem with cows milk: it causes me horrendous headaches, psoriasis and cold-sore outbreaks and IBS, but it took me ages know this because the symptoms come out one-two days later: so, it was really difficult to link the horrendous headache with the creamcake (for example) i had eaten two days before ... until you see it written down and you notice the pattern. The problem with GP's is that they are trained to treat the symptoms rather than identify the cause: hence you will get loaded up with medications and epi-pens to treat the problem after it has occurred, but this does not get to the root of what it is that is actually doing this to you. Did you know you can get allergy testing done, either at hospital (Your GP will have to refer you) or privately through places like Holland & Barratt (the health food shop). Definately be worth getting done.

Also, cast you mind back to five years ago when this first began to happen? Think about what was going on in your life at that point: any big life events or changes? - seriously, emotional upset, shock and trauma can all be a factor: even if the event is now 'all in the past'. Did you move house or change job, relationship changes, bereavement - or, equally, get anything good at that point in your life that is now gone, or not-so-good ... anything really: just think back to what was happening at that time. Even if this does not make sense to you at this point, trust me, there is some logic in it.

The last one occurred at 4 am this morning, and I ended up in A&E at Fraserbough hospital with severe Anap Oedema and type 1 hypertension, was wired up to an oxygen tank and ECG machine and monitored every 15 mins.

Sorry to hear that mate, you might have been seen by my Mrs' auntie, she's the A&E chargenurse at that hospital.

In terms of over the top allergies, a girl I used to work with who had a peanut allergy used to go mental if any body on the whole floor consumed anything with nuts in it, e.g a Snickers, Picnic, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes as she reckoned an attack could be brought on even by the aroma of nuts...

Also, cast you mind back to five years ago when this first began to happen? Think about what was going on in your life at that point: any big life events or changes? - seriously, emotional upset, shock and trauma can all be a factor: even if the event is now 'all in the past'. Did you move house or change job, relationship changes, bereavement - or, equally, get anything good at that point in your life that is now gone, or not-so-good ... anything really: just think back to what was happening at that time. Even if this does not make sense to you at this point, trust me, there is some logic in it.

Nice work Dr.Ruth ;)

I'm allergic to MSG... generally gives me BAD stomach cramps followed by a lot of runny poo :)

I understand that our local chinese/thai takeaway use it, and whenever me and my other half have a meal from there, we both have a terrible restless nights sleep. Only just found this out so back to an indian or fish and chips!.

Many, many Chinese dishes both from takeaways and supermarkets contain MSG - isn't it a preservative?

Many, many Chinese dishes both from takeaways and supermarkets contain MSG - isn't it a preservative?

No, it's a flavour enhancer.... also used in a lot of Mexican. Cuppa soup are pretty bad too.

A little is okay with me, but I think Chinese tend to put bucket loads in for some reason!!

Couldn't remember, I find it strange in that case, that it is in so much Chinese food, which, if it's cooked properly has enough flavour of its own without adding any "enhancement".

no. it's a 'flavour enhancer' - monosodium glutamate :puke and one of the most common allergy-causing ingredients: it also has to be avoided by people with gluten intollerance/coeliac disease. If you ask in the takaway or resturant they will leave it out :) (it tends to get added at the end, the same way that we add salt and pepper etc).

They have given me medical advice but I wanted to ask if anyone else has suffered with allergies and allergic reactions and if so what advice they were given.

I was sent to my GP as soon as I left hospital, and his advice was quite different from what the doctor said at the hospital.
The trigger behind these attacks can be absolutely anything from food, plants, chemicals, emotions and many more unknown triggers

Its not like a broken leg where all the GP's would probably be unanimous in cause and affect, but with allergies and allergic reactions it is more of a grey area, apparently they only know approximately 30% of what cause these reactions.

There is a very good book (a 'which' guide) called 'understanding allergies' - just had a quick look on ebay before recommending it to you: several copies available there. It might help you to read around the theories and facts so you feel better informed and therefore more confident in finding a way forward: either by taking action yourself or in being more able to ask your GP for more effective help.

There is a very good book (a 'which' guide) called 'understanding allergies' - just had a quick look on ebay before recommending it to you: several copies available there. It might help you to read around the theories and facts so you feel better informed and therefore more confident in finding a way forward: either by taking action yourself or in being more able to ask your GP for more effective help.

When I can green you next I will, really informative posting Mrs S

It has happens at the most oddest of times…… in the morning when getting to work, 2 in the morning 5 weeks ago, and then 4:am this morning, so as you say, maybe it is an intolerance to something, because it can not be instant if it happens at 4 in the morning. It is odd but I seem to get it after talking to Pubey on here (only joking JT). In all seriousness and as BS said above, it could end up killing me if i am not prepared next time, they even suggested some sort of bracelet….not sure what the Doc was saying as I was in so much discomfort at the time.

I have been given an 8 week course of Fexofenadine 120 mg as a prevention to it happening, all well and good but once the course has finished I guess that it could just happen again.

Good advise with the diary, my GP did suggest that as well but if i am honest, there is absolutely nothing that I can pinpoint that i am eating or drinking differently, we have not changed any cleaning products and I feel pretty good in general with stress levels at work.

I take this for my hayfever as I suffer really badly but mine are 180mg and the tablets are gigantic I can hardly swallow them. They are brilliant though and taking them everyday helps get it into your system and the longer I take them for over the course of the hayfever season, the less I suffer on bad pollen days.

Hope you manage to combat it though and that you feel better soon. I always suffer with different allergies and have random attacks sometimes for no reasons. Think it's something you end up living with unless you ever get to find out what causes it. I'd like to go for allergy testing to see exactly what it is.

I take this for my hayfever as I suffer really badly but mine are 180mg and the tablets are gigantic I can hardly swallow them. They are brilliant though and taking them everyday helps get it into your system and the longer I take them for over the course of the hayfever season, the less I suffer on bad pollen days.

Hope you manage to combat it though and that you feel better soon. I always suffer with different allergies and have random attacks sometimes for no reasons. Think it's something you end up living with unless you ever get to find out what causes it. I'd like to go for allergy testing to see exactly what it is.

They are probably sipositories ;)

Back