• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend_shrimp

First XI
Is this his way of trying to hit back at his team over the Hamilton row

Fernando Alonso could be the key witness in the FIA's spy case against McLaren after reportedly revealing the team used Ferrari's set-up back in March.

The FIA shocked the F1 fraternity earlier this week by announcing that, instead of an appeal hearing into McLaren's part in Stepneygate taking place next Thursday, a fresh hearing will be held.

Motorsport's governing body claimed they had received new information, and it now appears that it may have been handed to them by Alonso and McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa.

According to The Times, Alonso together with Pedro de la Rosa and his team-mate Lewis Hamilton were approached by the FIA asking them to disclose anything untoward in the spy scandal that they may have knowledge of.

'In addition to appealing to them to co-operate with the FIA's investigation, it is thought to have promised them amnesty from punishment should any disclosures they make lead to sanctions against McLaren,' the newspaper reports.

'The Times understands that the FIA's inquiries and the subsequent responses concerned an e-mail exchange between de la Rosa and Alonso that allegedly included sensitive technical information garnered from Ferrari via Mike Coughlan, the McLaren chief designer who has been suspended.'

The information allegedly dates back to the start of the season in March, once again extending the timetable for the saga beyond the April date when Coughlan is known to have received an 780-page dossier of Ferrari's technical secrets.

And, according to the Daily Mail, the information relates to McLaren making use of Ferrari's set-up for their own cars.

'The precise details of the emails are unclear, but it appears that they relate to Ferrari's car set-up. That would mean McLaren could have gained a performance advantage in their own car - flying in the face of their previous denials,' it reports.

The latest twist in this saga could spell disaster for Alonso's McLaren career, who is already on the rocks following comments about being unhappy from the Spaniard and an on-going fued with his team-mate Hamilton.

However, the Mail claims the Spaniard is 'expected to claim that he had no choice but to comply with the FIA's invitation to respond, though why they thought to question him in the first place remains a moot point.'

Why would any decent team want to employ Alonso now, though? He's clearly not World Champion on merit, as rookie Hamilton has already proved that he's a better driver than him; and Alonso has also proved he's not a team player but only looking after number 1.

He'll be driving for the small fry sooner rather than later, I reckon. What a tool.

Matt

Why would any decent team want to employ Alonso now, though? He's clearly not World Champion on merit, as rookie Hamilton has already proved that he's a better driver than him; and Alonso has also proved he's not a team player but only looking after number 1.

He'll be driving for the small fry sooner rather than later, I reckon. What a tool.

Matt

How can you say he is not a World Champion?? How would you feel you sign for a new team with another new driver in his first ever F1 season and Hamilton is getting preferential treatment! This is the two times world champion we are talking about the man who knocked one of the best drivers of all time off his crown! No matter what team Alonso goes to if kicked out he will still be the best driver there. I could see him taking Massa's place at Ferrari if Mclaren kick him out.

Matt

Indeed. I think he'll follow the likes of Coulthard down the teams. I think you're right; to a certain extent Hamilton has proved that it's the car, not him, although it has to be said, Hamilton isn't short of talent and determintation.

Mind you, Coulthard was quoted earlier this year, saying that the only reason Hamilton is doing well is because the McLaren is such a good car. That partly smacks of sour grapes from an ex-McLaren driver (after all, if the car is so good how come he couldn't do anything with it for all those years?), but maybe he is actually correct.

Hamilton is getting preferential treatment!

On what basis can it be proved that Hamilton is getting preferential treatment? Just because Alonso has spat his dummy out? Do me a favour.

Sometimes, World Champions win F1 because they are awesome drivers (Prost, Senna, Schumacher). And sometimes they win them not because of an abundance of talent, but simply because they happen to have the best car. Damon Hill is one of those, and I strongly suspect that Alonso is as well.

IMHO...

:p

How can you say he is not a World Champion?? How would you feel you sign for a new team with another new driver in his first ever F1 season and Hamilton is getting preferential treatment! This is the two times world champion we are talking about the man who knocked one of the best drivers of all time off his crown! No matter what team Alonso goes to if kicked out he will still be the best driver there. I could see him taking Massa's place at Ferrari if Mclaren kick him out.
Erm, since when did Lewis Hamilton start getting better treatment than Alonso? Hamilton's eclipsed Alonso numerous times in the same car, I'd say that makes him a better driver. ALso, you'd do well to realise that Alonso beat Schumacher because he had the faster car: if they'd been in the same team Schumacher would have wiped the floor with him.

Last edited:
So if it was a better car why haven't Renault run away with the Championship this year??

Think before you say these things Ricey!

This year's Renault is clearly nowhere near as good as last years, everyone can see that.

Ok then so why did Alonso's team mate Fisichella didn't come 2nd or 3rd in the championship if that car was so great. I am sorry but how you can say the car won it for him. He is the best driver in the world at the moment without a shadow of a doubt! Hamilton is young and will make more mistakes as he learns give him 2 years then maybe he will be the best but unfortunately F1 is Alonso's game at the moment.

Ok then so why did Alonso's team mate Fisichella didn't come 2nd or 3rd in the championship if that car was so great. I am sorry but how you can say the car won it for him. He is the best driver in the world at the moment without a shadow of a doubt! Hamilton is young and will make more mistakes as he learns give him 2 years then maybe he will be the best but unfortunately F1 is Alonso's game at the moment.

Then why hasn't Alonso been able to beat Hamilton on a regular basis? If F1 is Alonso's "game" then he'd be dominating it. He's not.
Alonso was a clear number one at Renault, and Fisichella isn't as good as he is, so he didn't get the results.

I'd say there's plenty of doubt shadows over your assertion that he's the best driver in the world.

We shall see come and tell me who the best driver is at the end of the season?

Surely the best driver in the world in the best car would be leading the World Championship....

Therefore I've amended your statement accordingly....

LOL! Lets just face it F1 hasn't been the same since the late great Aryton Senna died :(

Well yeah back then the amount of overtakings in a race was amazing but now its all about the pits you will be lucky to see more than 1 pass that wasn't made at the start or during the pits these days.

On pole position again :D

Last edited:
Pole position you mean, surely :thump:

One swallow doesn't make a summer, Ricey.... ;)

You know what I meant just a quick post, LOL! I saw you in the spread yesterday with your new away shirt ;) I was sitting next to you. with my mate watching the cricket. Did you not hear me say loudly when we were talking about the F1 Alonso is going to win cause he is the best.

Back