• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Altrincham 1-0 Southend United

Embargo and financial issues aside, the tactics are just nowhere near good enough. You could sign whatever players you like but if you’re going backwards and sideways you’re not going to score enough goals to win games. The whole club needs a reset.
You'd have to be pretty unobservant to honestly, truly believe that this is how Kev wants to play.

I bet you weren't saying that the tactics were "nowhere near good enough" when a string of the most complete Southend performances for 4-5 years were being delivered during the hot spell earlier in the season. The players showed then that they can pass through the lines progressively and up tempo.

Obviously we don't want to keep going sideways and backwards all the time or to build up lethargically, but the coaching team would rather their players keep the ball, recycle and try to work openings than just aimlessly play it forward and keep losing the ball. Not sure how anybody could not advocate that. The people that are moaning about it were probably moaning when we were lumping it forward under Brown and inviting pressure straight back onto us too. And moaning that we didn't have an identity. Well now we're starting to get one and it still needs to be worked at.

What we're missing is confidence. The confidence to move off the ball intelligently, play riskier passes, attempt and finish more shots like we were earlier in the season. That confidence might come back for some of these players this season or, after what has gone on, it might not but I'd rather they keep trying to do what they're doing. We're more likely to get there eventually by dominating possession and territory like we have been, than by trying something different. The players here enjoy playing the style they're being drilled to play too. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

He is a very good coach and I want him to stay. However, it doesn’t make him immune to criticism.
I'm not saying he's immune to criticism. His selection choices and the timing/personnel of his substitutions have drawn criticism from me several times this season. There is nothing wrong with our formation, tactical approach or style of play though.

Well we had one. Went by the name of Dalby. And without wishing to sound like a broken record, I will repeat what I said at the start of this season. If Parkinson was that desperate to take Sam to Wrexham, we should have been in a strong bargaining position and held out for a season long loan for Palmer, not Hyde who had a proven track record of breaking down.
Either Dalby or Palmer, both of whom would have got 15+ goals for us by now.
I'm talking about prolific strikers. When has Dalby ever been prolific in senior football? He got 8 league goals for us last season. Good chance he'd have got us 10-15 this season, but 20-25? Very doubtful I'd say. Palmer would never have been realistic either due to wages and the fact Dalby was signed by Wrexham as Palmer's back-up.

Oh well that's me told.
Just out of curious interest, do you speak to people in person in the same manner that you speak (type?) to people on here?

There is nothing wrong with our formation, tactical approach or style of play though.

I respect your analysis and opinion, but 7 losses out of 8 says there is something seriously wrong with our formation, tactical approach and style of play.

Altrincham's last clean sheet was 25th October. We tried 6 attacking players and we mustered what? Two shots on target?

2 shots on target vs Aldershot.

I respect your analysis and opinion, but 7 losses out of 8 says there is something seriously wrong with our formation, tactical approach and style of play.

Altrincham's last clean sheet was 25th October. We tried 6 attacking players and we mustered what? Two shots on target?

2 shots on target vs Aldershot.
We'll agree to disagree. I trust the UEFA Pro Licence-qualified head coach to stick with a formation and style of play that has had me purring at times, and to get it right. Mentalities, confidence, morale and perhaps the quality of some of our players in key positions can perhaps be questioned.

What an earth is going on?
i went away beginning of feb and we were placed well into the play off places and every time I have managed to log on all I have seen is loses and doom and gloom.

Another week another copy cat post so this is not a knee jerk reaction but a consistent opinion.

Football is about results and consistency. One game v Barnet doesn't mean anything.

On the whole, games have been average. Team setup, formation and selection all negative. Yes saved us from relegation to obscurity, added his own players and stamp on the team.

I respect immensely other opinions of outside influences, tired, embargoes etc. I also respect what the team have achieved in relation to the external factors.

On the whole, we have good players. Mooney didn't become a bad player over night for example. Players are being played out of position. Powell is not a striker. Ralph is not a central defender. Gus is a right back. Bridge is an attacking midfielder. All players have their skills, abilities and mentality. Put square pieces in round holes you're going to see disappoint which is echoed through all of these posts

I do find it hard to understand how some fans can't see or understand the impact of the setup. There are too many examples of where teams perform better with the same players and different setups, mentality and formations. You can't argue with proof points.

Brentford 352 - now 433 because they didn't score enough. Man United progress. Brighton potter 352/343 struggles to score but now 4321 with a different manager and a real intent to attack and in the euro places (and potters Chelsea struggling to score with some of the most creative and talented players in the league). I bet whomever takes over at spurs will rip apart Contes 343 formation that also flatters to deceive.

In our own history Barry fry takes over Southend implements attacking football and we hit the heights of div 1, Peter Taylor comes along implements 532 and looked what happened there. Steve Thompson takes over rips up 532 and implements 433 and saves us from relegation as we start scoring and making chances.

We keep playing the same way and getting the same outcomes. No plan b at all just replace players late on. 3 scoring chances in a game isn't enough despite the posession. I would also argue how many of the opportunities are clear goal scoring. At this level you need to create at least 5-6 clear chances with the ability to convert.

Play a possession game with 3-4 attacking players, 7-8 defensive players and a back 3/5 simply isn't working to generate consistent results, compete v the best teams and create enough chances to score more than one if score at all. It's the same comments weekly. Some fans think it's external factors, some think we need new players, some keep blaming Ron. All have a role to play but it you don't setup the team right, have plan bs and implement the right balance of attack and defence we won't deliver consistent results, score goals and entertain.

We don't have the luxury of new players and even if we did it's highly unlikely we would add 4-5 big hitters that would mean our approach to minimise a mistake and score one goal would become a success. Adding new strikers isn't the answer either

Wrexham have arguable the best team of players in the league and play a similar way to Southend. They're up there but not walking it.

Football is supposed to be about scoring goals, winning consistently against all teams and entertainment.

At the start of the season, I said we would win a few, lose more, continue to play the same way game after game, sniff the play offs because we have better players than most and finish upper mid table. I suggested that Maher might be gone by the end of the season but that was without being privy to the terrible events weve experienced - I don't believe that will happen because we've had too much uncertainty.

I would love to be wrong.

I for one and this is my opinion - which we all have and are welcome to - is that this current structure, team setup, mentality will not get us promoted ever.

Great coach but Maher doesn't have my support as a football manager.

I do find it hard to understand how some fans can't see or understand the impact of the setup. There are too many examples of where teams perform better with the same players and different setups, mentality and formations. You can't argue with proof points.
In our own history Barry fry takes over Southend implements attacking football and we hit the heights of div 1, Peter Taylor comes along implements 532 and looked what happened there. Steve Thompson takes over rips up 532 and implements 433 and saves us from relegation as we start scoring and making chances.
We keep playing the same way and getting the same outcomes. No plan b at all just replace players late on. 3 scoring chances in a game isn't enough despite the posession. I would also argue how many of the opportunities are clear goal scoring. At this level you need to create at least 5-6 clear chances with the ability to convert.
Excellent valid points.

Another week another copy cat post so this is not a knee jerk reaction but a consistent opinion.

Football is about results and consistency. One game v Barnet doesn't mean anything.

On the whole, games have been average. Team setup, formation and selection all negative. Yes saved us from relegation to obscurity, added his own players and stamp on the team.

I respect immensely other opinions of outside influences, tired, embargoes etc. I also respect what the team have achieved in relation to the external factors.

On the whole, we have good players. Mooney didn't become a bad player over night for example. Players are being played out of position. Powell is not a striker. Ralph is not a central defender. Gus is a right back. Bridge is an attacking midfielder. All players have their skills, abilities and mentality. Put square pieces in round holes you're going to see disappoint which is echoed through all of these posts

Brentford 352 - now 433 because they didn't score enough. Man United progress. Brighton potter 352/343 struggles to score but now 4321 with a different manager and a real intent to attack and in the euro places (and potters Chelsea struggling to score with some of the most creative and talented players in the league). I bet whomever takes over at spurs will rip apart Contes 343 formation that also flatters to deceive.

Play a possession game with 3-4 attacking players, 7-8 defensive players and a back 3/5 simply isn't working to generate consistent results, compete v the best teams and create enough chances to score more than one if score at all. It's the same comments weekly. Some fans think it's external factors, some think we need new players, some keep blaming Ron. All have a role to play but it you don't setup the team right, have plan bs and implement the right balance of attack and defence we won't deliver consistent results, score goals and entertain.

We don't have the luxury of new players and even if we did it's highly unlikely we would add 4-5 big hitters that would mean our approach to minimise a mistake and score one goal would become a success. Adding new strikers isn't the answer either

Wrexham have arguable the best team of players in the league and play a similar way to Southend. They're up there but not walking it.

Football is supposed to be about scoring goals, winning consistently against all teams and entertainment.

At the start of the season, I said we would win a few, lose more, continue to play the same way game after game, sniff the play offs because we have better players than most and finish upper mid table. I suggested that Maher might be gone by the end of the season but that was without being privy to the terrible events weve experienced - I don't believe that will happen because we've had too much uncertainty.

I would love to be wrong.

I for one and this is my opinion - which we all have and are welcome to - is that this current structure, team setup, mentality will not get us promoted ever.

Great coach but Maher doesn't have my support as a football manager.
Of course we are all entitled to our opinions but two things stand out here which you don’t address and I was interested to know.

1. Who would you want as manager and expect to want to come here and;
2. How would you change the team and who would you play in those positions?

And also…Wrexham are 26 points clear of 3rd place having 97 points, won 30 of 39 this season and have scored more than 100 goals. To say they are not “walking it” seems a little untrue! I know Notts are close but these are two exceptional sides.

What an earth is going on?
i went away beginning of feb and we were placed well into the play off places and every time I have managed to log on all I have seen is loses and doom and gloom.

Youve timed it well Jack, for multiple reasons 🤣

People saying 'The Alty commentators said we should have won' - what the **** were they watching?

Oliver Byrne made 1 save all match! (Powell missed, a defender cleared the open goal in the first half).

Alty had 5 shots in the first half alone, many went over the goal but at least they were shooting!
I watched the stream, they were right, it was a game that we were better than them on paper and on the pitch.

Ralph's poorly timed challenge cost us the match in the closing moments, when all we needed to do was hold on and hope for some luck at the other end. You shouldn't be making that kind of challenge in the box, simple as that, and Arnold has never been the greatest penalty kick saver.

Yes, misses by Bridge and Powell when it looked easier to score should be rightly criticised, but I found the substitutions odd. Mooney's old club, he'd have wanted to have longer and it was a pinpoint perfect cross from him for Powell's miss. I'd have brought Wreh on for Murphy anyway, stronger presence. I'd have also brought Demi on for Gus who looked knackered after his England C game - he rarely gets used as an outlet anyway!

Need a fit Noor back in the middle. Cav was easily MOTM yesterday, but he can't do everything on his own. Alty commentators thought Fonguck had a good first half, didn't really agree with them on that but he did get forward lots. Someone else has already said that it is our lack of goals from central midfield that's making a big difference, and that's absolutely dead right. Think back over the last 10 years or so to Woody, Lenny and Timlin, before that to Bailey and McCormack, and to Maher himself, even Benno used to get a couple a season usually. We've always had goal scoring (and quality goal scoring) midfielders. This is something that needs addressing.

We've got to be able to adapt and change a game plan and if that means taking Bridge off to allow others that space in the later stages of a match then that's what we should do. It would confuse opponents too. We had Bridge, Ralph, Mooney and Powell all trying to operate in that same space at times while Gus over on the right was redundant.

I don't think play offs are out of reach but we need a big old dose of self belief and some results and luck go our way. I'd definitely think about recalling Jack Wood and getting him out there, the lad was picked by these guys as a good prospect and never really been given much chance. Benton, Sandat and Crowhurst should all be knocking on that door too. Our players are tired, well, why not give some of them a rest and allow some of the youngsters to utilise their energy?

Last week I said on here that I can’t see us winning another game this season and right now I will stick by that. This toxic situation at our club has well and truly set in and it’s heart breaking to see what’s happening.

If we do manage to find salvation in a new owner and right now I still think that’s a big IF before next season I don’t think mighty Kev is the person to take this club to greater heights, I know he’s been plaqued with problem after problem but for me we are just not attacking enough.

Players just want this **** to end now so they can move on, so I’m resigned to the fact we may well be fighting a relegation battle next season because if this f..king embargo remains in place this downward spiral 🌀 will continue.

What a cluster f..k

A Premier League manager told me the difference between players in the top flight and lower divisions is the elite do it week in, week out - the lesser do it once in a while.

Nathan Ferguson against Forest Green? Tyler Cordner last week against us? I don't remember him doing that at Roots Hall.
Brunt looked a world beater for five minutes at Blues, and where is he now? Boreham Wood.

There's a load of posts here talking about formation, and yes, I can see how you might set up to play a certain way against certain opponents.
But does anyone really believe that changes, radical or otherwise, will make a difference to the current crop?

Fonguck and Taylor are limited, as are Hobson and Ralph. Kensdale is making his way; Powell is not the answer. In fact, he's an upgrade on Egbri.
Murphy and Hyde are past their sell-by dates, and Bridge has been found out, while Mooney has lacked fitness and self-belief.

That leaves us with Cardwell, Arnold, Miley and GSM.

For whatever reason, Kev doesn't think the likes of Benton and Sandat are ready, and there aint no-one else.
4-3-3? 5-3-2? 4-4-2? Yeah, whatever...

Whilst Kev and his team have done a great job under difficult circumstances, at some point there has to be questions raised about tactical issues. The manager and coaching team are not exempt from criticism. There are glaring problems that most supporters can see, but these issues don't seem to ever be addressed. It just stays the same. The lack of creativity, the lack of bodies in box, the obvious lack of goals, and also one even my young son noticed, our lack of willingness to shoot, and when they do eventually shoot, it's mishits, scuffed shots etc. Yes, we haven't been able to bring in better players, which would obviously help, but a lot of these issues seems to be basics. So frustrating to watch the last six matches, it's like watching a repeat. We should have won yesterday, without being great, but yet again we can't score. Lack of confidence, lack of ability, it's a mixture of things. The wheels have fallen off and our season is pretty much over. They need to find something over the last 8 games. But, from what I've seen recently, nothing will change tactically. Kev has a system and he won't change it.

I’m not doubting that, but him leaving us isn’t the reason for our inability to put the ball in the back of the net.
There is a counter argument here.
Players are obviously short of confidence, there is a collective “downer” on everything.
Loosing lapata may have been the straw that broke the camels back. NONE of us know how all of the ****e this year has impacted the team. Before they were paid they had a siege mentality “we are all in this together “ we have a common enemy (Ron). Sometimes this brings out the best in people.
Now they have been paid and arguably our best asset has walked.

As an aide I totally get why the strikers always want another touch.
I work in an office , I know that if one of my guys makes a big mistake they will be useless for the next couple of days and will doubt themselves on everything they do and want to check their work/ not volunteer etc, football is no different, you want that extra touch so less chances of a mistake, you don’t make the point of making yourself available for a pass, or gambling on what might happen. Some of this you do consciously , some sun consciously.
We desperately need some “good news” and a win

We'll agree to disagree. I trust the UEFA Pro Licence-qualified head coach to stick with a formation and style of play that has had me purring at times, and to get it right. Mentalities, confidence, morale and perhaps the quality of some of our players in key positions can perhaps be questioned.

Kevin Bond became a UEFA Pro License coach in 2006.

I guess we shouldn’t have sacked or criticised him because he has better qualifications than all the fans watching?

Kevin Bond became a UEFA Pro License coach in 2006.

I guess we shouldn’t have sacked or criticised him because he has better qualifications than all the fans watching?
A good comparison if "they both try to play out from the back" is as deep as you're digging. Not such a good comparison if you're looking beyond the surfaces and into the nuances and details a little bit more.

2006 is almost 20 years ago. Times have changed and the style of football that Maher is trying to instill is much more progressive and modern.

That's before you get into Bond as a motivator (allegedly not one at all), and even whether it was truly him in charge of the team for those last 6 games of 18/19 before going solo the following season and getting found out.

A game that was there for the taking and once again we lose to a penalty. Altrincham were poor, they have bigger games this week against Notts County and FA Trophy semi for a place at Wembley. We were not much better but a chance to revive our season and we missed 2/3 glorious chances. I don’t know what else to say, but we look shot and bereft of any confidence, so frustrating to watch.

Arnold 6
Hobson 7 MOTM
Kensdale 6.5
Ralph 6
Scott-Morriss 6.5
Taylor 6
Miley 6.5
Fonguck 6
Bridge 6
Cardwell 6
Murphy 6

Powell 5
Mooney 5
Hyde 5

Big changes needed now, the system is not working and players not showing to impress. Need to get out of this malaise. Altrincham was a good day out, good pub, but spoilt by the repetitive nature of defeat again. Hobson my MOTM cool calm collected and good on the floor with the ball at his feet. Onto Dorking. UTB

Back