• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Id much rather have a club legend in control of things in a relegation fight than someone with no affiliation to the club.

I'm happy with having Powell at the club tbh.

People are saying that they would rather have the cowleys, but what have they achieved in comparison?

Non league promotions. Nothing league based as of yet, even though they are having a good season at Lincoln. It could amount to nothing.

I’m not anti-Powell but if he gets this job its because he’s an ex player, not because he’s pulled up any trees as a manager. His appointment would also pacify the fans in the short term which is important as we have a limited time to stay in the league. I always find it strange that whenever a new manager is discussed a lot of people want an ex-player such as Powell, Barrett, or Maher for no other reason than they feel that person has some sort of association with the club. This doesn’t matter to me - plenty of managers with no association that have done a decent job for us - Sturrock and Brown are 2.

Selecting a manager is pot luck at the best of times. You can get someone who has a proven track record at this level and it does or doesn’t work out. You can get an ex pro with no managerial experience and it does (Tilson) or it doesn’t (Whelan) work out. But for my money someone who’s had a go at a couple of clubs already and pulled up no real trees, rarely turns out to be a long term success - and that’s why I’m unsure about Powell.

Rons objective may be to retain league 1 status and nothing further for the moment, in which case fine.

Fair comments but why is Powell's record seen as having not achieved anything?

Also, Whelan didn't have managerial experience when he took on us. He was still playing.

For every potential fella touted as experienced, we shouldn't forget those guys who move from club to club with experience and achieve very little, consequently they are often sacked.

Each manager eventually finds somewhere that works for them. Maybe CP is a really good manager, that's worked at clubs that haven't given him licence to be his own man and grow as a manager.

Hahaha... caught out!!! Im down the pub with Nile having a laught about it all!!

Nah.. i think the sacking timing was all wrong. Both too early and too late for me. I personally think he would have turned it around and kept us up, having said that, if he did, I'd still make the change in the summer.

Given that Chris has been away from management for a while probably means that he is a much cheaper option than some of the names mentioned here who have been in well paid jobs with big Championship clubs. Chris's managerial record is patchy but we don't know the circumstances that he was working under at his previous clubs. I am sure we all wish him every success especially as he is a great guy and a true Shrimpers legend.

Id much rather have a club legend in control of things in a relegation fight than someone with no affiliation to the club.

People are saying that they would rather have the cowleys, but what have they achieved in comparison?

Non league promotions. Nothing league based as of yet, even though they are having a good season at Lincoln. It could amount to nothing.

The Cowleys are young, sort after and on the way up in their managerial careers.

I’m not anti-Powell but if he gets this job its because he’s an ex player, not because he’s pulled up any trees as a manager. His appointment would also pacify the fans in the short term which is important as we have a limited time to stay in the league. I always find it strange that whenever a new manager is discussed a lot of people want an ex-player such as Powell, Barrett, or Maher for no other reason than they feel that person has some sort of association with the club. This doesn’t matter to me - plenty of managers with no association that have done a decent job for us - Sturrock and Brown are 2.

Selecting a manager is pot luck at the best of times. You can get someone who has a proven track record at this level and it does or doesn’t work out. You can get an ex pro with no managerial experience and it does (Tilson) or it doesn’t (Whelan) work out. But for my money someone who’s had a go at a couple of clubs already and pulled up no real trees, rarely turns out to be a long term success - and that’s why I’m unsure about Powell.

Rons objective may be to retain league 1 status and nothing further for the moment, in which case fine.

Firstly, where do you get the idea he hasn’t achieved anything? Did you see what he did at Charlton?

Secondly, did Phil Brown achieve more than Powell has before he joined us in March 2013? I’d suggest not....

Thirdly, what gives you the impression that anyone with a better track record at this level than Chris Powell would be attainable or realistic anyway?

The Cowleys are young, sort after and on the way up in their managerial careers.

I remember a young manager named Tillson. He produced wonders with Paul Brush whilst at Southend and he was rummoured to be wanted by several Championship sides, specifically Norwich. When his spell of success dried up at Roots Hall he tried again elsewhere at Lincoln, but, for whatever reason, the magic was gone. The point of this is that whilst The Cowleys are currently on the up, it all comes to an end sooner or later, ask Phil Brown.

My only worry is that man who rightly deserves legend status ends up on the receiving end of some of the nastiness, toxicity and personal abuse that Phil Brown received (and not just during this season). Anytime you change a manager, there is a risk involved. I mean, how many of us thought Tilson would be any good?As for the Cowleys. No experience at this level. No experience with big time player. IMHO a far greater risk than

I will always hold CP in great esteem regardless of what happens. And if the worst did happen this year ,it will all be PB”s fault not CP”s anyway :winking:

Firstly, where do you get the idea he hasn’t achieved anything? Did you see what he did at Charlton?

Secondly, did Phil Brown achieve more than Powell has before he joined us in March 2013? I’d suggest not....

Mmm.. took Hull from the depths of the second tier and promoted them to the Premier Legaue, then kept them in the top flight the following season?

Thirdly, what gives you the impression that anyone with a better track record at this level than Chris Powell would be attainable or realistic anyway?

Mmm.. took Hull from the depths of the second tier and promoted them to the Premier Legaue, then kept them in the top flight the following season?

I remember a young manager named Tillson. He produced wonders with Paul Brush whilst at Southend and he was rummoured to be wanted by several Championship sides, specifically Norwich. When his spell of success dried up at Roots Hall he tried again elsewhere at Lincoln, but, for whatever reason, the magic was gone. The point of this is that whilst The Cowleys are currently on the up, it all comes to an end sooner or later, ask Phil Brown.

Excellent point. For Chris Powell 'it' came to an end 4 seasons ago.

Your age betrays you if that's how you remember it :smile:

And it wasnt a rumour, they did indeed make an approach and Ron rejected it, being up and coming only lasts till your first sacking, and every manager (except Wenger) gets sacked at some point.

If we used the same logic with players we would never sign anyone from no league, which is precisely what many want us to do

I'm sure if chris powell is appointed He will bring in an assistant with a lot of now how in the football world .And maybe someone who he has had a winning way with him in his past leadership .

Powell is extremely highly thought of at Charlton, and indeed some of their fans are keen to have him back once their takeover is complete. Sadly in this day and age, it is hard to shake off the idea that if his skin was a different colour, he would have been given more opportunities since his sacking at Huddersfield.

I too have my reservations, I'm nervous because I think it would be such a shame if things didn't go well and it tarnished his legend. But on the plus side, this will give the whole club a huge lift at an absolutely vital time. Many have said our squad is full of quality but has lost confidence and has been poorly managed. If that's the case, a popular appointment and having the fans back on side could make a massive difference in the short term.

Long term? That's something that's very difficult to call, Powell is still relatively inexperienced as a manager.

Back