• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

philos84

I feel like the only one who is struggling to be inspired by this dutty rumour.

I'm sure there are others. Opinions are like bumholes everyone has one and this is just the place to share them (Opinions not bumholes obviously)
Why the doubt buddy

You are in the small minority for sure and would I be right to guess you never saw him as a player? That certainly plays a big part (and being a legend on the pitch really shouldnt make any difference when rating him as a potential manager, but it does).

Who would inspire you?

The only other attractive option I can see is Cowley, who has zero experience above League Two so I wouldnt class as inspiring.

You are in the small minority for sure and would I be right to guess you never saw him as a player? That certainly plays a big part (and being a legend on the pitch really shouldnt make any difference when rating him as a potential manager, but it does).

Who would inspire you?

The only other attractive option I can see is Cowley, who has zero experience above League Two so I wouldnt class as inspiring.

And is extremely unlikely to leave a team pushing for promotion for a team fighting relegation, albeit in the division above.

I think a lot of people were only interested in the Cowley's purely because they are local and have done very little research into their style of play.

Powell is a great appointment, he's got a side promoted from this division with over 100 points and he's a club legend and that straight away will lift the mood in the stands for sure as the last few games of Brown's tenure were toxic.

Who would inspire you?

I think there's plenty of people who are judging Powelly on his ability as a manager, ahead of him as a Southend legend, in fairness.

My only worry is that man who rightly deserves legend status ends up on the receiving end of some of the nastiness, toxicity and personal abuse that Phil Brown received (and not just during this season). Anytime you change a manager, there is a risk involved. I mean, how many of us thought Tilson would be any good?As for the Cowleys. No experience at this level. No experience with big time player. IMHO a far greater risk than CP

It is hard for me not to be all misty eyed about sir Chris Powell though. As an oldie who worshipped him during his time here maybe my biased opinions hold zero credibility

My only worry is that man who rightly deserves legend status ends up on the receiving end of some of the nastiness, toxicity and personal abuse that Phil Brown received (and not just during this season). Anytime you change a manager, there is a risk involved. I mean, how many of us thought Tilson would be any good?As for the Cowleys. No experience at this level. No experience with big time player. IMHO a far greater risk than CP

Whilst you'll always get some idiots who will give personal abuse, the difference here is that Powell is a decent bloke and a fan favourite. PB is just a ******

I think there's plenty of people who are judging Powelly on his ability as a manager, ahead of him as a Southend legend, in fairness.

For sure, but if you took away the name for that record and put it forward again many of those opinions would be different Im sure. His record is good but peoples wish for him to come are certainly affected by his status as a player.

Not quite the same as say Barrett without any experience, so the manager experience does make a difference.

Phil Brown is marmite though (in an either you hate him or dont mind him way), many people just dont like him whatever happens on the pitch. He would always have to do much better than Powell to get the same respect. You just have to see people constantly deny him credit for promotion and put it down to luck to see it, when he got more points than Tilson did when he got us out of the same league.

Powell will get that bit of leeway and I think thats important right now to get past the gloom and doom.

I'm far from convinced about his managerial ability, medium and long term.

In the short term however he will unite the fans and because of his legend status here, will get far more time than anyone with no prior connection to the club (as did Peter Taylor and Tilly).

The fans need to be united and urging the club on. That just hasn't happened this season.

In that respect, it's an inspired appointment.

[FONT=&quot]You'd be wrong to make that assumption, JamMan. A worrying assumption to make. I indeed saw him play, many times. He made my 'Back to my Roots' greatest 11 feature in the match-day programme the season before last. Truly one of the Southend playing greats... playing greats... but managers are a different animal. Look, [/FONT]I want to sing ‘wiggle-it' at kick off again as much as the next man, but his record speaks volumes, [FONT=&quot]his managerial career is lacking... a great deal.

Nostalgic appointments are very very dangerous, they rarely work. Tilly worked, sure, but that was an outlier... and how thankful we all are that it happened. But Powell's managerial record screams alarm bells. Whether or not someone played for the club before is irreleavent. Its great for the fans isn't it, but whether or not that new manager wore the shirt 20, 30 years prior is irreleavent, it means nothing to the players he's managing/coaching day in day out on the trianing pitch. If we looked at Powell's managerial history on paper, without knowing the name, he'd never be in the hat. He's not done his time, he hasn't been able to get a job for the last 4 seasons at clubs in League 1 or league 2 and his most recent job in football is part-time scouting... which basically anyone can do. Huge alarm bells.

[/FONT]
Having said that, some bad player transfers turn out OK. So, if it is Powell... whilst I won’t support the decision (because it doesn’t make any sense to me and there are more forward thinking options out there) I'll be singing 'wiggle it' loud and proud. [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

For sure, but if you took away the name for that record and put it forward again many of those opinions would be different Im sure. His record is good but peoples wish for him to come are certainly affected by his status as a player.

Not quite the same as say Barrett without any experience, so the manager experience does make a difference.

I'm a little unsure as to why people aren't convinced on his pedigree as a manager. Maybe it's almost the reverse effect. People think that because he is a club legend, that's the only reason why we like him and forget what he has achieved in the game.

I'm borrowing 'leeblue's' post here, but I think the below is a good enough CV and having a likeable guy at the club is a fantastic added bonus for me :-

"Has won the division we play in.
Finished 9th in championship
Has managed plenty at a higher level.
Has coached at various big clubs too.
Recently been a scout for spurs....
Obvious contacts throughout the game.
PFA representative
England caps...played at the highest level"

Bottom line is, I don't want a journeyman like Grayson or Taylor here.

PB did a great job, in my view, but it's time for a change and a change to someone the fans can identify with is one big positive step in galvanizing the club.

Can't wait for the Scunthorpe game now. There'll be a genuine buzz about the place! :happy:

I'm a little unsure as to why people aren't convinced on his pedigree as a manager. Maybe it's almost the reverse effect. People think that because he is a club legend, that's the only reason why we like him and forget what he has achieved in the game.

I'm borrowing 'leeblue's' post here, but I think the below is a good enough CV and having a likeable guy at the club is a fantastic added bonus for me :-

"Has won the division we play in.
Finished 9th in championship
Has managed plenty at a higher level.
Has coached at various big clubs too.
Recently been a scout for spurs....
Obvious contacts throughout the game.
PFA representative
England caps...played at the highest level"

Bottom line is, I don't want a journeyman like Grayson or Taylor here.

PB did a great job, in my view, but it's time for a change and a change to someone the fans can identify with is one big positive step in galvanizing the club.

Can't wait for the Scunthorpe game now. There'll be a genuine buzz about the place! :happy:

Grayson has been promoted from this league more times than Powell so has a better record.

So yes I do think that Chris Powell's reputation as a Southend Legend affects peoples opinion. It certainly affects mine, I would rather him over Grayson myself because I think he has a decent record, but also because his name will give us a lift other managers wouldnt.

'Uniting fans' has no relevance to whether or not we stay up.

If it creates a positive atmosphere in the stadium and lifts fans and the team then it does.

Powell's only other managerial appointments were at Huddersfield (a club in transition) and Derby, where he did a decent job as assistant to both Nigel Pearson and Steve McClaren, before they were both sacked.

Derby, in particular, have a bizarre hire/fire them set-up, even re-appointing people they've sacked. I think anyone would find it hard to succeed there for long.

The points listed as positives baffle me...

Has won the division we play in - Insert applause here
Finished 9th in championship - I mean we could list all the managers who have also finished 9th and higher over the past 4 years that Powell has failed to get a job at clubs further down the football pyramid
Has managed plenty at a higher level - "Plenty"... please explain?
Has coached at various big clubs too - Various... who?? Huddersfield and Derby for 2 games?
Recently been a scout for spurs.... - Why is that a good thing???
Obvious contacts throughout the game - Yep, most people involved in football do
PFA representative - Yet he still hasnt been able to get a managerial job in league 2 or the conf over the past 4 seasons.
England caps...played at the highest level - So has Joey Barton, Matt Jarvis and Gavin McCann

Hold on, people - let's do something radical, eh? Why not wait to see how he does before condemning (if that happens at all)?

[You'd be wrong to make that assumption, JamMan. A worrying assumption to make. I indeed saw him play, many times. He made my 'Back to my Roots' greatest 11 feature in the match-day programme the season before last. Truly one of the Southend playing greats... playing greats... but managers are a different animal. Look, [/FONT][/COLOR]I want to sing ‘wiggle-it' at kick off again as much as the next man, but his record speaks volumes, [FONT="]his managerial career is lacking... a great deal.

Nostalgic appointments are very very dangerous, they rarely work. Tilly worked, sure, but that was an outlier... and how thankful we all are that it happened. But Powell's managerial record screams alarm bells. Whether or not someone played for the club before is irreleavent. Its great for the fans isn't it, but whether or not that new manager wore the shirt 20, 30 years prior is irreleavent, it means nothing to the players he's managing/coaching day in day out on the trianing pitch. If we looked at Powell's managerial history on paper, without knowing the name, he'd never be in the hat. He's not done his time, he hasn't been able to get a job for the last 4 seasons at clubs in League 1 or league 2 and his most recent job in football is part-time scouting... which basically anyone can do. Huge alarm bells.

[/FONT][/COLOR]Having said that, some bad player transfers turn out OK. So, if it is Powell... whilst I won’t support the decision (because it doesn’t make any sense to me and there are more forward thinking options out there) I'll be singing 'wiggle it' loud and proud. [COLOR=#14171A][FONT="]
[/FONT]

Not sure why its a 'worrying' assumption :smile:, but I did say it was an assumption. I thought it likely because without the nostalgia I can see why people would have less attraction to bring him in. And the fact your username has '84 in it would suggest you were born in 84 so still very young when he was here.

AS for his record, Ive made the same point above that if it wasnt Powell people wouldnt be falling over themselves as much so agree with you.

However I am still keen for him to be the man, because his record is still decent, and his reputation will give us a lift on its own.

As I asked above though, if you feel Powell's record isnt inspiring whose record would you actually be inspired by that we could bring in?

So lets forget about the days spent on the training ground with the players, tactical meetings, signings, teamtalks, back room staff.... I could go on.... as long as it unites fans.... that'll fix it!

Back