• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

American college football

jassyfa1

Manager
Believe it or not, college football is bigger than the NFL in the states and instead of having one bowl game to see who is the best team they have a dozen or so, although the BSC championship Bowl will result in the winner being the best team (confused yet).
So from the 19th of December to the 7th of Jan there will be 33 bowl games which has resulted in a few miss matches.
The Holiday Bowl has Arizona vs Nebraska with corals Arizona a 1pt favourite. I personally can't see how the Nebraska defense will not dominate this game especially with Ndamukong Suh the favourite for the 1st defensive player to be picked in the 2010 NFL draft.
The other odd bet is the Rose Bowl (yes I know its a silly name) where Ohio are 3.5 points underdogs against Oregon. Now Oregon haven't played here in years and Ohio usually flop at the big game, but I just can't pass Ohio for this one especially with them being underdogs.
I would also point out Army vs Houston but as Corals are not giving odds on this one at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if they did that Houston were 14 points favourites

Believe it or not, college football is bigger than the NFL in the states and instead of having one bowl game to see who is the best team they have a dozen or so, although the BSC championship Bowl will result in the winner being the best team (confused yet).
So from the 19th of December to the 7th of Jan there will be 33 bowl games which has resulted in a few miss matches.
The Holiday Bowl has Arizona vs Nebraska with corals Arizona a 1pt favourite. I personally can't see how the Nebraska defense will not dominate this game especially with Ndamukong Suh the favourite for the 1st defensive player to be picked in the 2010 NFL draft.
The other odd bet is the Rose Bowl (yes I know its a silly name) where Ohio are 3.5 points underdogs against Oregon. Now Oregon haven't played here in years and Ohio usually flop at the big game, but I just can't pass Ohio for this one especially with them being underdogs.
I would also point out Army vs Houston but as Corals are not giving odds on this one at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if they did that Houston were 14 points favourites

I'm sorry, but there is no way that college football is more popular than the NFL. College football might be more popular in certain areas, especially in the South and in pockets of the Midwest, but overall the NFL enjoys greater popularity.

Anyways, as for the bowl games, I think the Fiesta Bowl will be a good game, but I wish they would have split TCU and Boise State into different bowls so that everyone could see if either of the teams are as good as their records suggest, or if they are just beneficiaries of weak conferences. In the end I'll probably only watch a few games. The only one I really care about is cheering on the only team from Colorado that made it to a bowl, the Air Force Academy in the Armed Forces Bowl.

I'm sorry, but there is no way that college football is more popular than the NFL. College football might be more popular in certain areas, especially in the South and in pockets of the Midwest, but overall the NFL enjoys greater popularity.

Anyways, as for the bowl games, I think the Fiesta Bowl will be a good game, but I wish they would have split TCU and Boise State into different bowls so that everyone could see if either of the teams are as good as their records suggest, or if they are just beneficiaries of weak conferences. In the end I'll probably only watch a few games. The only one I really care about is cheering on the only team from Colorado that made it to a bowl, the Air Force Academy in the Armed Forces Bowl.
I love Boise State esp with that blue grass, and TCU offensive has been amazing, and yep put them together for a bowl game is not what both teams wanted.
If college football isn't as popular as the NFL, I was under the impression that most of the stadiums sold out every week e.g Ohio, Notre Dame, Michigan while some NFL teams do not get their games shown live in their local area as they haven't sold out.
finally do you think Florida and Texas will suffer next year without Tebrow (how much is that bloke going to earn in the NFL) and Colt McCoy (what a name for a Texas QB) also will USC bounce back or will their recruitment program be severely dented due to their poor season?

The Crimson Tide of Alabama will crush the Texas Longhorns in the big game. The odds will be short after Nick Saban's boys crushed Tebow and the Gators in the SEC Championship but this is as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to see in sports. Roll Tide!

The Crimson Tide of Alabama will crush the Texas Longhorns in the big game. The odds will be short after Nick Saban's boys crushed Tebow and the Gators in the SEC Championship but this is as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to see in sports. Roll Tide!
I think ESPN had Alabama as 5 point favourites. I saw most of that game on ESPN and talk about Florida having an off-day. I haven't got a favourite for that that bowl, infact the only teams I don't want to do well is Oklahoma and Ohio State.

I love Boise State esp with that blue grass, and TCU offensive has been amazing, and yep put them together for a bowl game is not what both teams wanted.
If college football isn't as popular as the NFL, I was under the impression that most of the stadiums sold out every week e.g Ohio, Notre Dame, Michigan while some NFL teams do not get their games shown live in their local area as they haven't sold out.
finally do you think Florida and Texas will suffer next year without Tebrow (how much is that bloke going to earn in the NFL) and Colt McCoy (what a name for a Texas QB) also will USC bounce back or will their recruitment program be severely dented due to their poor season?

I think pricing is the huge reason that college football can draw so many fans. NFL tickets are very expensive, especially in comparison to college tickets. When I was a student at the University of Colorado they offered (as most schools do) very cheap season tickets to students. I don't remember the exact price, but it was around $35 or $40 for the entire season, if I wanted to attend just one Broncos game it would cost more than that.

I personally hope Florida begins to struggle a bit, and I think they might since I think some Florida State and Miami will begin reviving their programs over the next few years and that could really hurt Florida's recruiting. I'm also not convinced Tebow will be a very good pro. He can't throw well enough to be a top QB. I do think given his size and skill set he could be decent on defense, perhaps as a safety, or more likely as a linebacker, but then again I've never seen him on that side of the ball so I could be wrong!

As for USC I think they will be fine. Pete Carroll has shown he can get guys to the NFL, and I think that helps them with their recruiting. It also doesn't hurt that they are the best football team in the second largest city in the US, since LA lacks an NFL team, and that gives them a massive presence. I do wonder how good USC really is though, the Pac-10 hasn't been a very good conference recently, so I'm unsure if it was a case of teams like Oregon, Oregon State, and Stanford improving to get on par with USC, or if USC has fallen to the level of those schools. I guess how those teams fare in their bowls might answer that question.

I think Bama is going to crush them also, Texas was hardly overpowering this year. I went to the Colorado - Texas game in Austin this season, and despite Colorado not playing particularly well in the first half (although I am struggling to think of any time this year they played well) Colorado had the lead at half time. And coming back against a poor Colorado team in the second half, or a decent Nebraska squad in the fourth quarter is a lot easier than putting up points against Alabama's defense.

I think pricing is the huge reason that college football can draw so many fans. NFL tickets are very expensive, especially in comparison to college tickets. When I was a student at the University of Colorado they offered (as most schools do) very cheap season tickets to students. I don't remember the exact price, but it was around $35 or $40 for the entire season, if I wanted to attend just one Broncos game it would cost more than that.

I personally hope Florida begins to struggle a bit, and I think they might since I think some Florida State and Miami will begin reviving their programs over the next few years and that could really hurt Florida's recruiting. I'm also not convinced Tebow will be a very good pro. He can't throw well enough to be a top QB. I do think given his size and skill set he could be decent on defense, perhaps as a safety, or more likely as a linebacker, but then again I've never seen him on that side of the ball so I could be wrong!

As for USC I think they will be fine. Pete Carroll has shown he can get guys to the NFL, and I think that helps them with their recruiting. It also doesn't hurt that they are the best football team in the second largest city in the US, since LA lacks an NFL team, and that gives them a massive presence. I do wonder how good USC really is though, the Pac-10 hasn't been a very good conference recently, so I'm unsure if it was a case of teams like Oregon, Oregon State, and Stanford improving to get on par with USC, or if USC has fallen to the level of those schools. I guess how those teams fare in their bowls might answer that question.

Echoing what Seth says here, my wife and I went to see the Oregon Ducks play Stanford a couple of years ago and the whole outing cost less than a hundred bucks, including parking, tickets and refreshments (and I was extremely refreshed by the time we got home). I don't believe you would get much beyond the parking space for $100 at a Redskins game.

You also have to look at where College Ball is at its biggest - cities and states that lack an NFL presence, or if they have one, it's not an NFL team that has given them much to shout about. The two big Oregon schools don't have huge pedigrees in terms of national success but they are rabidly supported by a state that only has one major league sports franchise (the NBA's Trailblazers). The national champions elect represent another state lacking an NFL presence - Alabama.

Me and a couple of mates went to 49ers vs Redskins during the 1999/2000 season and the amount of people who left at halftime was amazing. It was more of a social occasion where people would just talk to people sitting near them instead of watching the game.

Back