• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

American English or English English

Oy America! Speak proper like what I do....

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
So what with Seth saying FALL when it's really AUTUMN and probably saying VAYSE when the rest of the world knows it's VARSE (vase), tow-mato/tomarto.....pants/trousers....which is better? There's only one way to find out....

ed_imgsnn0203d_265_37735a.jpg

.... Szone comedy poll!

PS: Let's not turn this into an Anti-US poll, just a bit of Tuesday morning fun thankyou :)

Funnily enough, Fall is an old UK English word, still used in parts of Scotland. I think they're both great. Even faucet, diaper and skillet are UK words. Sidewalk makes more sense than pavement. But they've both evolved in different ways, due to colonization and neighbouring influences.

US English is merely an interesting divergence of the same language (much in the same way modern slang is). Abstention from me.

English English, if only for the reasons that I'm never going to be scrabbling around looking for my "pants" to put on because I'm already wearing my correctly gender assigned underwear but am instead looking for my trousers, nor am I going to be carrying a "purse" on my arm because my purse is safely inside my handbag.

The one which realy gets me is the past participle of "To Sneak". I have never heard anyone other than an American say "Snuck"

Its English, we are letting them use our language, free of Charge, they should respect it and not abuse it.
Mind you I have heard that it is one of the most complex languages, so if the poor little dears need to dilute some of its complexities in order to be able to comunicate in a level marginally more sophisticated than grunts, I suppose we should be tolerant.

English English, if only for the reasons that I'm never going to be scrabbling around looking for my "pants" to put on because I'm already wearing my correctly gender assigned underwear but am instead looking for my trousers, nor am I going to be carrying a "purse" on my arm because my purse is safely inside my handbag.

And not to mention your fanny.......

and yet the American definition of purse is closer to its original etymology.

The same as pants - comes from pantaloons. Uk English has taken pants one step further than the US.

and yet the American definition of purse is closer to its original etymology.

The same as pants - comes from pantaloons. Uk English has taken pants one step further than the US.

Following on from that, I appreciate that "knickers" must have come from "knickerbockers" but why? Surely the one was worn by males, and the other (usually) by women.

Can I also just add here (and I know this has come up on here before) that I completely detest the current lazyitus in our modern day language in saying "I would OF gone but..." instead of the correct "I would HAVE - contracted to "would've" - gone but...". Sorry, moan over.

Can I also just add here (and I know this has come up on here before) that I completely detest the current lazyitus in our modern day language in saying "I would OF gone but..." instead of the correct "I would HAVE - contracted to "would've" - gone but...". Sorry, moan over.

That's less about being lazy and more about being ignorant. Could not agree more though.

On the whole American debate, I much prefer to use English terms - always organise rather than organize - but it's not hugely important either way.

Following on from that, I appreciate that "knickers" must have come from "knickerbockers" but why? Surely the one was worn by males, and the other (usually) by women.

knickers is a great one.

a kinickerbocker is a originally a Dutch settler of New York,", from Diedrich Knickerbocker, the name under which Washington Irving published his popular "History of New York". The pen-name was borrowed from Irving's friend Herman Knickerbocker, and lit. means "toy marble-baker."

knickers, a shortening of knickerbockers, said to be so called for their resemblance to those of Dutchmen in Cruikshank's illustrations from Washington Irving's "History of New York"...

knickers, a shortening of knickerbockers, said to be so called for their resemblance to those of Dutchmen in Cruikshank's illustrations from Washington Irving's "History of New York"...

So Dutchmen wore knickers? :stunned: Would Einstein care to comment on that one?!

American English loses out because of this:

serveaspmediarsanc500amcn2.jpg

In America, the purple item that this young lady is wearing is called a....

Fanny Pack.

:stunned:

And that's just wrong.

chronicles08.jpg

Last edited:
That's obviously what Firestorm was referring to earlier and I didn't dare ask!!!

I dare any Americans to go and ask any of their compatriots if they'd care for a fag :D

Back