• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

An FAQs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Last week @palexander raised the possibility of the moderating team raising an FAQ thread. The subject was given a good airing and the majority view was that it is a non starter.

The consensus view was that we are a discussion board, and posts get mixed up, crossed over etc etc, you name it. it happens. People just like replying to posts and sometimes just for the sake of it., that is what the forums are for. FAQ's would create just another minefield for us of moving, merging and generally looking out 24/7 for things that are not quite in there correct spot. If people have to wade through hundreds of posts that is their choice or not, and we don't feel we should "mother" the freedom of the board or the members. The Holmes saga was just that, a saga, so it dragged on, hardly our fault.

If we were sorting every subject into categories it would mean of course we would have to think like the members do and be on here 24/7 to do so.

Not sure what FACs are mate. Grammatically I reckon 'An' is correct. No doubt a squad of pedants will now appear.
Thought FAQ's were frequently asked questions,(which of course starts with an F rather than a vowel).Suppose I'm the grammar pedant here, :Winking:

Last edited:
<Use “a” before words that start with a consonant sound and “an” before words that start with a vowel sound. ... Just remember it is the sound that governs whether you use “a” or “an,” not the actual first letter of the word. One complication is when words are pronounced differently in British English and American English.<

My case rests M'lud.

<Use “a” before words that start with a consonant sound and “an” before words that start with a vowel sound. ... Just remember it is the sound that governs whether you use “a” or “an,” not the actual first letter of the word. One complication is when words are pronounced differently in British English and American English.<

My case rests M'lud.
dogbone-e1512420961365-904x605.jpg

My case rests M'lud.
It is common to see (in television or film portrayals of British courtrooms) barristers addressing the judge as "M'lud". This was the usual pronunciation until about the middle of the twentieth century in courts in which the judge was entitled to be addressed as "My Lord".[8] However, it is a pronunciation which is now obsolete and no longer heard in court. The modern pronunciation is "My Lord".

It is common to see (in television or film portrayals of British courtrooms) barristers addressing the judge as "M'lud". This was the usual pronunciation until about the middle of the twentieth century in courts in which the judge was entitled to be addressed as "My Lord".[8] However, it is a pronunciation which is now obsolete and no longer heard in court. The modern pronunciation is "My Lord".
I see you prefer not to address the substantive issue raised in post number 8 in this thread. :Winking:

The grammatical argument has been resolved. And with that the FAQs list has also been resolved, so thanks everyone and that's it on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back