• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry everyone for encouraging my son to support Southend,want to wear his shirt with pride and sit in the seat he always sits in for all matches.

Because of a meaningless friendly?

Youre letting the spammers win that way

First day, Orient at home, a season of expectation

Last edited:
you havn't got a clue mate. there is no szfc clique, im part of it and its a football team, its people like you who are so in the red they try and think of anything to put us in the red and throw there dummy out of a pram,

you think setting our rep to -25,000 bothers us, think again. sad old git.

Matty there WAS though, this has been proven time & time again.
People just don't value the rep system like they did 3 months ago, that's all unfortunately!

I will not attend pre-season again and it has left a bitter taste for me personally.
The club could have sold to only previous database customers sending out tickets to that address
I thought after Man utd that the season break would have been used to start a 2nd priority scheme after STH for database regulars.
This was all purely to cash in and has left me bitter before a ball has been kicked -centenary misery I say

I felt uncomfortable and was annoyed by their constant ignorant and pathetic comments based on the fact that we are a small club and they are not.

Which considering these feckers should be preparing for a season, watching their "heroes" - w*nkers I call them, on Sky, trying to get out of the Championship, makes my blood boil even more!

They must have some kind of lucky guidance, every time they get in deep trouble (a week away from administration, the Tevez affair etc) some mad event happens to let them escape!

I will not attend pre-season again and it has left a bitter taste for me personally.
The club could have sold to only previous database customers sending out tickets to that address
I thought after Man utd that the season break would have been used to start a 2nd priority scheme after STH for database regulars.
This was all purely to cash in and has left me bitter before a ball has been kicked -centenary misery I say

I don't want to come across as "I told you (you being SUFC) so" but read my comments when the Spammers friendly was announced, and subsequent postings since then. I just knew such an "event" would be marred by trouble and segregation issues and lack of respect for genuine SUFC fans by the club (the marketing email they sent out early last week to all on the eDatabase was vom it inducing!)

So, we'll not be having the Scottish clique abusing the repping system then? :p

What, all 3 of us?
5 if you include TFS & MtS (who's in-laws are Scottish?)
Me & TFS don't tend to agree usually either (him I'm led to believe originates from Scotland & is now living in Essex whereas I'm the opposite!)

I expected there to be Spammers in the home end, and whilst it's not the best situation ever I can put up with it if they keep themselves to themselves.
We were surrounded by the tw@ts though, and before they'd even scored they were denigrating the club and threatening us purely because we supported Southend. Thankfully once I complained to the steward they were soon removed - well done to them for that.

Nevertheless, after the actions of their neanderthal fans yesterday any scrap of respect for them and their club that I once held has now gone. They're just scum, and worse than Col Ewe in my eyes.

Last edited:
For crying out load get back to the point of this thread and stop all this testosterone fuelled posturing! (Bugger the spelling I'm angry)

I can remember sitting in the unreserved seats in the East at the Hall for a game against Millwall. 3 of their supporters were in there, sitting behind me employing petty bullying techniques in the first half. Spitting chewing gum in my hair, tipping hot coffee down my neck and using language that left me stunned. That was 20 years ago. It left me with a total disbelief that the stewards at the Hall would EVER do anything to protect people. Perhaps that's why we object to officious stewards at their grounds - we're not use to it.

I didn't go to the game yesterday. Partly because of the cost but mainly because I knew there would be no segregation and no control. I'm truly sorry that your son was upset, it should have been a celebration of football not a blast from the past. I hope he continues to feel safe at league home games and doesn't stop enjoying the game.

I haven't yet read any comments about the fact that we completely took over Park Lane last week at the Canvey friendly when we must have had about 750 of the 1000 fans. And most of us were wearing SUFC shirts. There were plenty of comments that belittled Canvey FC and their stadium but I didn't see it kicking off anywhere.

Coud it be down to the fact that SUFC supporters rose to the bait rather than just let the West Ham fans support their team? I was in the front of the East Blacks and had quite a few Hammers fans around us. They cheered their players, they cheered their goals, and we cheered our players and our goal (which, by the way was miles louder than any of the West Ham ones).

We respected the fact that they supported their club and we engaged in conversation about how quick Etherington and Bellamy were and how their off the ball movement made them so much extra space. They were generally complimentary about Southend as well and were particularly concerned at the way we opened them upon 2 or 3 occasions. Apparently we were much better than Orient who played them last week. I'm not talking 1 or 2 people here, but 15-20.

If you treat other clubs fans with respect you generally get it back.

Now I am not happy-clappy enough to think that we should all be able to sit unsegregated next to each other and have some great supporters love-in but I do think it's sad that people fail to consider their own actions first and foremost but instead automatically seek to blame the club.

It's a friendly. Whether you like it or not, there are many fans who support both West Ham and Southend. When we used to play regularly on Friday nights half of Roots Hall would go to Upton Park on the Saturday. The club has had strong links with West Ham in the past. We are not really their rivals, having only ever played them at the same league level for one season in our history.

I cannot see how the club could have avoided selling tickets to West Ham fans who also support Southend. Yes, the club could have made the prices lower but then again they need the revenue. It's a business and when the fixture was arranged we hadn't sold Freddy.

What happened here that hasn't happened at every other game between the two teams? We met in the Anglo Italian Cup once at the Hall, West Ham won 3-0 and it was like their home game.

Come on people, lets move on. The real stuff starts soon.

What could the club have done to have prevented ticket sales prior to matchday to opposition fans, especially for a pre-season friendly? Not a great deal, I suspect.

I obviously wasn't there either, but from the posts I read and also from personal opinion of previous games with the Spammers, it is not about what the ticket office could have done to prevent it.

It is about WHY the club ALLOWED people to walk through the turnstiles in Spammers replica shirts?

I personally have no issue if Spammers want to come to Roots Hall, sit in OUR end, wear no colours, are quiet, respectable, and watch the beautiful game. Basically to the point that no-one even knows whether they are SUFC or a Spammer.

I think the issue here is that they came to the game, in THEIR colours, were loud in supporting THEIR team, in OUR end, were then confrontational in OUR end and to OUR fans. If they were so insistant in THEIR colours supporting THEIR team, then why the hell could they not have sat in THEIR end?

Oh, and after reading most of your posts from last night I felt I might have to stick my CAP LOCKS key as you have either appeared to lack the ability to read/just do not understand the general hatred towards the Spammers/or are just trying to be your usual self getting off on winding people up.

Last edited:
whist i agree that yesterday was of course a nice money spinner for the club, i also note that it was impossible not to sell tickets in the home stands to west ham fans.

however, i could imagine west ham fans streaming into the home stands in their colours could easliy have been rejcted entry and for the sake of the reletivly small amount of money bought into the club by oppostion fans.

do the powers that be at the club belive it to have been more important for a quick short term gain than to perhaps upset loyal supporters and put them off returning to the hall for the following season?

Matty

I haven't yet read any comments about the fact that we completely took over Park Lane last week at the Canvey friendly when we must have had about 750 of the 1000 fans. And most of us were wearing SUFC shirts. There were plenty of comments that belittled Canvey FC and their stadium but I didn't see it kicking off anywhere.

Coud it be down to the fact that SUFC supporters rose to the bait rather than just let the West Ham fans support their team? I was in the front of the East Blacks and had quite a few Hammers fans around us. They cheered their players, they cheered their goals, and we cheered our players and our goal (which, by the way was miles louder than any of the West Ham ones).

We respected the fact that they supported their club and we engaged in conversation about how quick Etherington and Bellamy were and how their off the ball movement made them so much extra space. They were generally complimentary about Southend as well and were particularly concerned at the way we opened them upon 2 or 3 occasions. Apparently we were much better than Orient who played them last week. I'm not talking 1 or 2 people here, but 15-20.

If you treat other clubs fans with respect you generally get it back.

Now I am not happy-clappy enough to think that we should all be able to sit unsegregated next to each other and have some great supporters love-in but I do think it's sad that people fail to consider their own actions first and foremost but instead automatically seek to blame the club.

It's a friendly. Whether you like it or not, there are many fans who support both West Ham and Southend. When we used to play regularly on Friday nights half of Roots Hall would go to Upton Park on the Saturday. The club has had strong links with West Ham in the past. We are not really their rivals, having only ever played them at the same league level for one season in our history.

I cannot see how the club could have avoided selling tickets to West Ham fans who also support Southend. Yes, the club could have made the prices lower but then again they need the revenue. It's a business and when the fixture was arranged we hadn't sold Freddy.

What happened here that hasn't happened at every other game between the two teams? We met in the Anglo Italian Cup once at the Hall, West Ham won 3-0 and it was like their home game.

Come on people, lets move on. The real stuff starts soon.

Well said. Some people on here get so OTT. Most of the West Ham fans were alright, yes they cheered their goals and they wore their colours but they weren't out for trouble. There were a lot of dads there with their kids. I had West Ham fans to the right, to the left and in front of me but I supported Southend as I always do and they were fine. It was just a few idiots who were looking for trouble. I'm sure any Southend families who went, unless it was their first ever game, wouldn't have been put off from going because they know Roots Hall is usually a very friendly ground. And as fbm says, it's a bit hypocritical given that 3/4 of Park Lane was Southend 2 Fridays ago.

Well said. Some people on here get so OTT. Most of the West Ham fans were alright, yes they cheered their goals and they wore their colours but they weren't out for trouble. There were a lot of dads there with their kids. I had West Ham fans to the right, to the left and in front of me but I supported Southend as I always do and they were fine. It was just a few idiots who were looking for trouble. I'm sure any Southend families who went, unless it was their first ever game, wouldn't have been put off from going because they know Roots Hall is usually a very friendly ground. And as fbm says, it's a bit hypocritical given that 3/4 of Park Lane was Southend 2 Fridays ago.

I can see what you mean, but you can't compare the situation yesterday with the amount of Shrimpers at Park Lane because there was no segregation at the latter - which is effectively the issue at hand.

Dear SUFC,

I am posting this open letter because whenever I have emailed the club over the years I have never received a reply. I am a season card holder with my young son in the West Stand and was appalled at the lack of segregation on offer at today's match with West Ham, and consequently found myself surroundered by away fans despite being seated in our usual position. It made for an unpleasant and uncomfortable match day experience. I think the very least I can expect is to watch the match without regretting that my son was wearing his new navy blue home shirt sitting in his usual seat.

There were a series of distracting and unsavoury incidents in the West Stand throughout the match and we subsequently left the match early to get away from the undercurrent of violence.

I am not in denial that South East Essex is hugely populated with West Ham fans but why not go to greater efforts to segregate them?

I had planned to introduce the club to another young boy and his mother today but, thankfully, they could not make it as I would have been ashamed for them to witness today's proceedings.

I also recognise that the club is a business and do not expect the people that manage the club to have even remotely any emotional attachment, and on that basis I am glad that 9,500 paying £20 a ticket was a real money-spinner. However,taking a business view,just how much all round damage did you do to the franchise and the SUFC brand today to make a quick buck?

Stop for a moment, consider today's proceedings in the West Stand (some are not coming back),we were the only season card holders there today in an area normally 99% populated by SC holders,and you choose to play a Centenary Match against our most disliked opposition in our 101st year (correct me if I am wrong) despite announcing that the May Ball concluded our 'celebrations'.

With hindsight, many had the good sense to boycott today's match but for those who backed the club by turning up (in the West Stand) today I think you owe them an apology and a potential refund. Please don't take the fans for granted again.

I don't publicise my surname on a public site like ShrimperZone but I understand this site is monitored by club personnel and you can easily reach me if you want to discuss any of the contents of this letter.

Check me out: two season card holders,my son is a Junior Bluesmember, does the soccer courses and the club shop tell me I am their best customer as I buy stuff to send to people around the world who have become fans. What I am saying is I would not whinge for the sake of it. Today was a bad day at the SUFC 'office'.

David (Prodigal Son).

This is the first time I have been able to access my computer since the game yesterday and I agree wholeheartedly. For a centenary celebration this was a disappointing day for SUFC. Whilst it was good to see some old players at half time, the day was about making money and I feel that this will be only a short term gain.

The club gave Roots Hall to West Ham yesterday. Their fans were everywhere and openly wearing their colours in all areas. A celebration for blues fans this was not. With many diehard supporters staying away due either to the cost or chosen opposition there were far in excess of the anticipated away fans in the 9,500 attendance.

It is only over the last few years that we have begun to see an increasing number of blues shirts in the town, instead of claret and blue. This is due to the recent successes on the pitch and kids always want to be associated with a successful team. I consider that allowing WH to take over RH and give us a hiding on our own pitch (they did enough to win comfortably) will go a long way to undoing a lot of the good work of recent years and be detrimental to young and new support.

At a guess, the club will have received around 150,000 in gate receipts with a % going to WH. Time will tell whether this gain will turn into a long term loss over the course of this season through a reduction in gates and merchandise sales (WH play many games on the same day as blues). I feel many fans would have tolerated an easy defeat from any other club (albeit a friendly match) than WH.

If I am honest I would have preferred a centenary game against the O's at the beginning of the season, at least we would have a chance to win this one. Yesterday's match was always likely to end in tears. This wasn't a centenary celebration match for the fans it was a short term money making exercise pure and simple.

Pass it on Scriv.

This was the first home game I have missed in many, many a year for exactly the reasons listed on this thread.

Not a good sign if seasoned regulars didn't turn up to a centenary celebration (if you can call it that) is it.

Poor show SUFC, poor show.

Would be nice to get an offical response tomorrow morning, from the club regarding this matter

I have to agree that a response is required from the club. I can handle relegation and never leave a game early, came very very close as the whole excperience was humiliating.
I personally found this a real low point in my support of the club - certainly not a good decision for a centenary game - if we had won it would have been really nasty in there.

Back