• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I have trawled through pages and pages of this, on lots of different threads, and the 1 thing i cannot see, is that anyone went into these east london
scumbags, forget complaining to a steward, do what we did when we played leeds and there was a lot of their lads in the west side, they soon left!!

well those that didnt go down like a sack of sh.t

in case your asking i wasnt there yesterday, i was out of the country

I have trawled through pages and pages of this, on lots of different threads, and the 1 thing i cannot see, is that anyone went into these east london
scumbags, forget complaining to a steward, do what we did when we played leeds and there was a lot of their lads in the west side, they soon left!!

well those that didnt go down like a sack of sh.t

in case your asking i wasnt there yesterday, i was out of the country

Did the stewards report you for this or police deal with you? I'd gladly lay into a few but i don't want to risk a ban.There's also the families around us to think of.
Thing is,why offer Wet Spam supporters tickets in our stands on match day knowing this could cause trouble.Southend fans should not have been put in this position.
As for some poeple saying we have some sort of affinity with these disrespectful claret fans,forget it,those days are long gone.

didn't bother going Saturday although i will go to Wednesday's game. but all the stuff reported is exaclty what was mentioned would happen on this board in the build up to the game. My 13yr old went and luckily had no problems and even came away from the game telling me we'll go straight back up as he thought we played really well in the second half.

Well said. Some people on here get so OTT. Most of the West Ham fans were alright, yes they cheered their goals and they wore their colours but they weren't out for trouble. There were a lot of dads there with their kids. I had West Ham fans to the right, to the left and in front of me but I supported Southend as I always do and they were fine. It was just a few idiots who were looking for trouble. I'm sure any Southend families who went, unless it was their first ever game, wouldn't have been put off from going because they know Roots Hall is usually a very friendly ground. And as fbm says, it's a bit hypocritical given that 3/4 of Park Lane was Southend 2 Fridays ago.

Agreed. Also with FBM. Two common sense posts.

I sat in East Blacks, five rows from the front and had two small kids with me (boy 8 & girl 5). Plenty of WHAM fans around but all generally good natured banter. Yes they cheered their goals, but they also applauded ours. Saw no sign of trouble outside the ground and I had a much longer than usual walk to my car.

Life goes on, so let's now start to think about the games that really matter.

Well ..... did you get an official response? Have I missed it somewhere in this thread?

Not yet, I have been offered direct email addresses of senior perssonel at Roots Hall and will take that route if necessary but think a number of us wouldlike a response.

Maybe I should have made more of an effort to contact them direct, but did not want to be a 'drama queen' so wanted to see if others felt the same,the majority seem to.

Not really unequivocal backing to be honest mate but you would certainly have a few allies.

I honestly think that if tiickets were half the price there would have been a much greater percentage of Southend fans. Maybe even extending the away allocation beyond normal lines would have worked - let's be honest, having a poorly segregated larger away section isn't going to be much worse than giving them freedom to roam where they please.

Regarding a response, the club are unlikely to make an officila statement unless there is significant weight of opposition and there isn't really.

Illiciting a response

Perhaps the best way to get a reply is to do it through the Echo. They may decide to print which would, most likely, force a response from the club.

I wasn't there as I am overseas but it seems to me that passions are running high on this issue and sometimes different tactics are required. Also there may be a number of supporters who have written to club; maybe some who took their families for the first time and have decided NEVER AGAIN; and of course not every fan, sadly, uses the medium of ShrimperZone

Maybe the club need to explain themselves and doing so through the press could be the answer. All IMHO

Not yet, I have been offered direct email addresses of senior perssonel at Roots Hall and will take that route if necessary but think a number of us wouldlike a response.

Maybe I should have made more of an effort to contact them direct, but did not want to be a 'drama queen' so wanted to see if others felt the same,the majority seem to.

Just make sure you don't drop this PS - the club is miles better than in the 80's and 90's under Uncle Vic, but when it doesn't come up to scratch, these instances need to be highlighted.

Wonder what Vic and Adams would have made of the internet? Would have probably been on here effing and jeffing ! !

Just make sure you don't drop this PS - the club is miles better than in the 80's and 90's under Uncle Vic, but when it doesn't come up to scratch, these instances need to be highlighted.

Wonder what Vic and Adams would have made of the internet? Would have probably been on here effing and jeffing ! !

The threads have run away with themselves,they always do when we debate West Ham,and we have moved a long way from my real concerns. I knew what to expect in terms of WHU presence and irritation, but had ruled out the undercurrent of violence.Much of this rests on taking a young child to a match safely,and I was meant to be taking one of his mates and his widowed mother to Roots hall for the first time (they dropped out at the last minute) and am now glad they did not attend.

I have been disappointed with the lack of understanding on this from some posters, probably because they have not got kids.If it was me on my own or with mates,and would give verbal back,take a bop on the nose if necessary and can still run very fast if necessary despite my old age.

The reason I post as Prodigal Son is because I returned after a deliberate 5 year absence from all SUFC matters for a variety of reasons, but mainly because the club was taking the mick out of its supporter base.

I came back and being away showed me the leaps and bounds the club had made. I think the club took a backward step on Saturday big time.That said,I regret posting an open letter and should have waited until Monday to either call or email.

However, I may let it drop on the basis that the latest Trust newsletter says it all really. In summary, the Trust point out all the things to avoid but were ignored by the club so think I might be wasting my time.

Someone also drew my attention to the West Ham website 'Knees Up mother Brown'.Check out their fans views on their behaviour.

Someone also drew my attention to the West Ham website 'Knees Up mother Brown'.Check out their fans views on their behaviour.

David, any specific links to the relevant comments?
I've had a quick look on KUMB but now feel sick & unclean after reading through some of their mono braincell ramblings.

I've had a quick look on KUMB but now feel sick & unclean after reading through some of their mono braincell ramblings.
i had a look a while ago and one person commented "they seem to hate us for no reason" a little later in the same thread someone else commented "they all support us aswell" well thats the reason we hate you, arrogance:mad: other comments werent worth translating tbh

Have you got a link to the specific thread you mention? I had a quick look but couldn't find much on there

How about this from "Cake" a West ham fan at the game on Saturday:

Frankly, I wasn't surprised to hear of so many police after the game. I left early myself, due to the offensive chanting going on around me in the corner where all the moved supporters (myself included) were located. Call me a ponce if you want, but I don't think making gas chamber noises and making up improptu songs about killing jews and gassing them in a big oven was cool at all. Then songs about Matthew Harding, seemed to indicate to me that a select "braintrust" of our own support where hell bent on causing as much offence leading to aggro as possible.

A big shout out to the drunken ******** who decided to get up in the home end and offer everyone of the home supporters on which led to us all having to be moved.

Lovely bunch those West Ham fans.....:mad:

Sorry, I am now at work and can't link as KUMB is blocked, but it was an admission by some posters on there that many fans were out to cause trouble,even with their own if necessary.

Changing topics, also a thread on there that Col Ewe fans are going to wear claret and blue for their first match with Sheffield United as a reference to the Tevez affair and Sheringham.

They must dislike teams with the initials SUFC!

How about this from "Cake" a West ham fan at the game on Saturday:

Frankly, I wasn't surprised to hear of so many police after the game. I left early myself, due to the offensive chanting going on around me in the corner where all the moved supporters (myself included) were located. Call me a ponce if you want, but I don't think making gas chamber noises and making up improptu songs about killing jews and gassing them in a big oven was cool at all. Then songs about Matthew Harding, seemed to indicate to me that a select "braintrust" of our own support where hell bent on causing as much offence leading to aggro as possible.

A big shout out to the drunken ******** who decided to get up in the home end and offer everyone of the home supporters on which led to us all having to be moved.

Lovely bunch those West Ham fans.....:mad:

Indeed, such lovely people. :p

However that one of their own was so disgusted by this goes to show we shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush just because a boorish minority were hell-bent on causing trouble - something which I myself am guilty of sometimes.

Last edited:
Indeed, such lovely people. :p

However that one of their own was so disgusted by this goes to show we shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush just because a boorish minority were hell-bent on causing trouble, something which I myself am guilty of sometimes.

Agree, and I know,work and live happily in the same town as many West Ham supporters and get on well with them.

Back