• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News An Open Letter to the Leadership, Executive, Councillors and MPs of Southend-on-Sea regarding the Future of Southend United Football Club.

Do you have a meeting arranged already with General Sports Worldwide LLP, or is this something you are looking to arrange just out of curiosity.

Sentiment of the letter is spot on.

The reality is the club don't own RH of Fossets now. Of course, he says he wants to sell club and stadium together and lets hope that happens ( I think it will).

But what happens if our "perfect buyer" can't afford the stadium?, and someone we really don't want can? Presumably we get the owner we don't want? After all the stadium is for sale- if someone doesn't have the money then what happens? Are they not allowed to buy the club?

If no-one can afford the stadium do we get Son of Ron? To think somehow he will be forced to give the stadium away, and for next to nothing, is for the birds...

The White Paper may someday become law of course...much watered down....and after many more delays. Regrettably. Or it might never, like so many broken promises of the years about so many things. Lets absolutely hope for the best.

I guess in summary we are seeking all the right things and the letter is to be supported. But just to temper expectations before we get carried away, as at some point there will be a collision with reality. The only way the club gets to own the stadium is a buyer with sufficient funds to buy both.

(PS. There are a bunch of advisors out there who will tell you the stadium and club should be held in different entities. Of course, this can be with the same owner. Reason if the club gets into difficulty and goes under, the stadium doesn't necessarily go with it)

The Shrimpers Trust has today sent the following email with regards to Southend United FC’s future following Friday’s press conference.

View attachment 25633
Out of interest, does anyone know if it is legal to make it a condition of planning that the stadium be returned to the club? What you're effectively asking is that the legal owner of the stadium has to relinquish it

I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment, I'm just not sure how legal that is, and if the council are really in a position to demand that.

Sentiment of the letter is spot on.

The reality is the club don't own RH of Fossets now. Of course, he says he wants to sell club and stadium together and lets hope that happens ( I think it will).

But what happens if our "perfect buyer" can't afford the stadium?, and someone we really don't want can? Presumably we get the owner we don't want? After all the stadium is for sale- if someone doesn't have the money then what happens? Are they not allowed to buy the club?

If no-one can afford the stadium do we get Son of Ron? To think somehow he will be forced to give the stadium away, and for next to nothing, is for the birds...

The White Paper may someday become law of course...much watered down....and after many more delays. Regrettably. Or it might never, like so many broken promises of the years about so many things. Lets absolutely hope for the best.

I guess in summary we are seeking all the right things and the letter is to be supported. But just to temper expectations before we get carried away, as at some point there will be a collision with reality. The only way the club gets to own the stadium is a buyer with sufficient funds to buy both.

(PS. There are a bunch of advisors out there who will tell you the stadium and club should be held in different entities. Of course, this can be with the same owner. Reason if the club gets into difficulty and goes under, the stadium doesn't necessarily go with it)
If the perfect buyer cannot afford the stadium, he is not the perfect buyer.

Ron wants out and his sons are not interested.

RM is getting the RH site once or if the club moves to the new stadium + the land at FF he will sell for housing... When is enough enough?

The point is IF nobody comes into buy us and it is blatanly obvious RM's pot is more than empty atm he may just say sod it and send us in to admin stating "I tried my best" He has already stated he does not expect to get any "debt" back.

The RED flags are flying and The Trust in the letter are doing the absolutely correct thing in sending it out.

Last edited:
The club should never have been given over without lots of caveats in place to make sure it was maintained appropriately and never became a saleable asset without full trust or equivalent approval.

Hopefully this can be a lesson learned and the club can inherit/purchase fossetts and never be in this situation again.

As for the letter. Its perfectly set out.

The club should never have been given over without lots of caveats in place to make sure it was maintained appropriately and never became a saleable asset without full trust or equivalent approval.

Hopefully this can be a lesson learned and the club can inherit/purchase fossetts and never be in this situation again.

As for the letter. Its perfectly set out.
In hindsight, you're right. Don't forget, however, the stadium wasn't gifted to the club under Ron, it was gifted when Vic Jobson was in charge. Initially it was he who mortgaged it to the hilt.

Firstly, I think it’s tragic that the Trust hasn’t been paid back which basically sums Ron up. However, it’s a great note and one any prospective buyer must take into consideration. The club must own its own stadium moving forward, we do not want some kind cosmetic purchase taking place.

Bravo Zulu 👏

If the perfect buyer cannot afford the stadium, he is not the perfect buyer.

Ron wants out and his sons are not interested.

RM is getting the RH site once or if the club moves to the new stadium + the land at FF he will sell for housing... When is enough enough?

The point is IF nobody comes into buy us and it is blatanly obvious RM's pot is more than empty atm he may just say sod it and send us in to admin stating "I tried my best" He has already stated he does not expect to get any "debt" back.

The RED flags are flying and The Trust in the letter are doing the absolutely correct thing in sending it out.
Absolutely agree its the right thing as I clearly said in my post.

Just expectation setting that it will collide with reality IF the preferred buyer hasn't the £££ to buy the stadium as well. The idea that he could then be forced to sell or relinquish the stadium (at presumably a drastically reduced or zero valuation) rather the than lease it to the buyer is, with the deepest of possible regret, fanciful.

However, to restate I also believe we will get a buyer for both.

Who in their right mind would clear our debts and buy us a nice shiny stadium (and gift to us) out of pure kindness ? Surely, they would want the opportunities from the residential building at Fossetts and RH, aswell ? Is it me ?

Agree entirely with the letter. The only worry I have is that the developers, knowing that they will not benefit at all from the new stadium, would go for the cheapest and smallest option available. Is that a justified concern?

Whoever buys SUFC perhaps RH comes with it and part of the sale states that once FF is built the stadium will be handed over to SUFC in exchange for RH so that RM can build his houses etc on the land ,just maybe a clause to it can be added so the new owners get a % of the profits. Highly doubtful but it would be icing on the cake to attract new owners..

The Shrimpers Trust has today sent the following email with regards to Southend United FC’s future following Friday’s press conference.

FView attachment 25633
What a fantastic, well written note, job well done by all who contributed.

Thank you Shrimperstrust for representing us supporters in such a professional and well articulated manner.

Why don't the shrimpertrust just stay quite for once! Ron's selling the club,he's said he will sell the new ground as part of the package! Just let the agency dealing with the sale do they're job! The shrimpertrust is outdated and causes more problems then solves.
Are you serious, I think this is the most ridiculous post I’ve ever read on this forum. When you make a statement like this please back it up?

Why don't the shrimpertrust just stay quite for once! Ron's selling the club,he's said he will sell the new ground as part of the package! Just let the agency dealing with the sale do they're job! The shrimpertrust is outdated and causes more problems then solves.

I do understand where you’re coming from because you’re afraid of the sale of the club being effected by their input. However, it is absolutely crucial that the Trust keeps on Ron’s case every minute of the day until the right deal for all is completed. Also remember that Ronald owes the trust £40k and they never even got a mention in the recent bridging loan.

I would be spitting teeth if that was my money, Ron is taking the p.ss and needs to monitored every inch of the way as does any new deal.

Back