• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
OK ..hopefully the usual Southend United sitcom has played-out and we can again start looking forward to a fantastic day out.

So, what is the best day out you have ever had watching Southend United? Lets start remembering the fun stuff and looking forward to more!

Sheffield Wednesday, fa cup 5th round, just a superb day out & the Southampton game, end of championship season & a great few days in Florence v Fiorentina in the good old anglo/italian!!

13th December, 2003. I'd been living in Swansea just over three months, and we'd been struggling in the league. 3 O'clock, and not feeling optimistic.

Couple of hours later, and just witnessed us win, away, to Swansea. Not only that, but we'd come from 1-0 down. Not only that, but we scored our second (to take the lead) after going down to 10 men (McSweeney sent off) not only that, but we defended that lead for 73 minutes until losing two more to red cards (Gower and Jay Smith). Not only that, but we then scored a third!!!! (Mark Warren)

Probably the most incredible game I've witnessed, and I'd say a turning point in our fortunes from the dark Wignall (and before that some even worse times) days to the glory of Tilson

Southampton away, Championship season. Just an awesome day from start to finish.

Bury away, and I made it home in record time to get slaughtered at the Silver Jubilee when it was still a decent pub.

My ears ached - not from noise but from driving like an idiot back from Lancashire with a huge stupid grin on my face.

"Who put the ball in the Bury net? Ian Benjamin, Who put the ball in the Bury net? Ian Benjamin" :smile::smile::smile:

I don't, sadly, have a lot to choose from but the clear winner must be January 1969 when we went to Swindon Town in the Third Round of the FA Cup, following nine goals against King's Lynn and ten against Brentwood. A super morning at Stonehenge........some good beer in a great country pub followed by an unexpected but deserved victory. :smile: Just don't talk about Mansfield Town!:'(

The Chelsea FA Cup draw has to be up there for me

Unfortunately I couldn't make the Donny away play-off but the atmosphere on the TV looked superb

Southampton away, Championship season. Just an awesome day from start to finish.

I'm not sure I'd pick a heavy defeat for my best day out.

Didn't find Doncaster as enjoyable as most people seemed to, either !

Travelling in the back of transit van with no windows to Preston with Spotter, Ginger and pals for company, sitting on a wheel arch the whole way there. Had a kickabout in goal at back of main stand, but lost 3-2 on the plastic pitch after being 2-0 up. Weirdly, a great day out, though!

Didn't feel like a defeat though did it? From the whole joint salute to Alan Ball, to Adam Barrett scoring 1st after his wife had just given birth to their son, right through everything to the final whistle and beyond, the clapping all the way out of Southampton to the motorway......just a day of triumph for football and camaraderie.

Sad to say i was only a home supporter for the last 40years.So i can only say Oxford and Mr Sturrocks tactical genius.Oh and Orient away JPT as well.I can't believe it took me so long I won't mention Barnet though.

But this is the whole point of support, isn't it? To unite behind your team come what may, to be of one purpose, and to know that, for that brief period, there is no finer set of fans in the country. When you experience that, the result really isn't so important. The Southampton and the Doncaster fans in general still acknowledge those games as the finest displays by away fans, and that is something to be proud of.

Eschewing the obvious, I will go for Preston away in the Championship season. We had just lost to Colchester at home, and the doom-laden atmosphere on Shrimperzone was stifling. I hadn't planned to go, but lots of people were pulling out of the trip and I felt I had to. I piled my son Ross, Lucky Derek and Football Virgin Michael (never been to a match at all) into the car and down we went. We were rewarded with some classy abuse of Ricketts (eventually), a fantastic away support, and a game of manic highs and despairing lows, culminating in two injury time goals (both worthy of Goal of the Month) and the heart-stopping sight of Nuggent hammering our bar with almost the last kick. Football Virgin Michael had eyes like saucers at the end, and I doubt he will ever experience anything quite like it again.

You can read my description of the day here: Shameless Plug

Stockport away, (1987 I think) a mad game of footie in a park in Stockport to the local residents staring out of their northern homes amazed at such an away following. Victory and a good old chant of bye bye Wolves.

Barnsley away in the cup on a freezing midweek night with 300 odd shrimpers singing their hearts out from start to finish and doing the conga.
my voice took 2 weeks to repair after that night.lol

Back