• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think the one five from the right in the 60/61 team is Bobby Kellard. No?

Yes.Think he's currently on his hols in Florida though.

Should have recognised the young Tony Bentley in that photos too-3 from right.

BTW,a belated welcome to SZ Roger/Andrew.:winking:

I've been rumbled.........

I must admit I thought it was Bentley at first but he didn't sign until May 1961 - this photo is supposed to be from the 1960/61 season - however the original on the club twitter says 1961. So I reckon it is 61/62 pre season and that the guy I reckoned was Duggie Price could be young Bobby Kellard and the guy on his right Roy Goulden.

Haven't seen any pictures of any of the team training in Spain yet,are there any about?:unsure:

Yes - the film (24 not a 36) is in the post from Spain to a place in Devon where it will be developed. Pictures should be back with the club by the end of next week if all goes well.

Hash tag: Onefortheolderpostersonhere

And the 60/61 version that were lucky to get on the pitch at Roots Hall

history-10-web.jpg
Looking at the players,I can tell you this pic is from 1961-2 rather than 60-61.

Looking at the players,I can tell you this pic is from 1961-2 rather than 60-61.

The players are Peter Watson,Lou Costello,Sandy Anderson,Jimmy Shiels,Roy Goulding then3 short players Bobby Kellard,Peter Corthine,Tony Bentley,????John Tennant???? and Peter Goy.

The players are Peter Watson,Lou Costello,Sandy Anderson,Jimmy Shiels,Roy Goulding then3 short players Bobby Kellard,Peter Corthine,Tony Bentley,????John Tennant???? and Peter Goy.

Roy Goulden(Inside left ex-Arsenal) not Goulding!

And I have no doubt you are correct. I nicked the photo from the SUFC official site and it stated 1961. I added the 60 bit. It's always good to be accurate on this sort of stuff.

And I have no doubt you are correct. I nicked the photo from the SUFC official site and it stated 1961. I added the 60 bit. It's always good to be accurate on this sort of stuff.
Thanks for that mate,I'm always(very)correct-Jez we can!

So with Ranger, we've got a squad of 22.... I still feel we're short of at least 2.

I see our squad as just 18 at that includes Ranger, Wordsworth , Bridge and Kyprianou as starters the latter two deemed not too worthy last season.
Unless Turner actually signs and can turn out regularly there is limited evidence of a strengthening over last year as yet. Whilst I am delighted at the signing of 9 youngsters and hopefully one or two might make it, waiting on maybe a couple of loan signings late in the day doesnt seem great in terms of pre season training and development. In this respect we are already way behind again and unless we can quickly pull off some major signings a great start to the season would have the odds against , but I would love to be proved wrong. Trouble is pre season also impacts heavily on the end of the season and how teams finish.

According to the Echo today, Zac Ansah is out in Spain trying to earn a contract

Oh dear. He was forced out of the Woking team with a long term knee injury. Then he was let go. He was dropping down the Leagues anyway. This sounds like doing a favour for Andy Ansah who still has connections to Southend.

A fair few whinging on here about the lack of signings, but I don't think that squad looks that weak especially when Ranger is added back in. It's only 6 years since Sturrock took over with nothing like that at his disposal. If one of those kids can come of age, and if we can sprinkle a bit if fairy dust with a (good) loanee, I think we're looking good. What really matters is if PS can find a system that gets the most out of what he has at his disposal.

Er, don't know how to break this to you....

Just stumbled across this. My first full season and so many big names missing from that photo. John McKinven, Arthur Williamson, Billy Wall, Ken Jones, Ray Brand, Jim Fryatt, Harry Threadgold, Ray Smith.

Not convinced about John Tennant, our third choice keeper that season. Wondered if it might be Norman Bleanch ?

Back