• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
Wondered whether any one can offer advice. Flying to Seville for a week in February and apart from spending two days in both Seville and Granada (going by train or coach......not car friendly from what I've read), we want to spend three days in an attractive central position which will enable us to hire a car and discover the coast, Gibraltar, Cadiz etc.... was thinking of Ronda.........whilst certainly beautiful......is it practical? Anyone any ideas?....haven't booked any hotels yet, nor hired a car.

To be honest Jules any where you go will be of intrest,lovely area,Cadiz and san fernado are big on militry history and the only real suggestion i would give is to stay away from the touristy costas and just explore.
Lots of footbal in the area and if you pm xabia shrimper he may even take you to a non league game,my brother (full spanish blood no muggle blood)lives in huelva and has a 2nd house in punt umbria and a ex bro in law hails from and lives in san fernando and his dad is one of the biggest sherry exporters,have fun.
Tell you what is very handy is a smart phone if you have one if not Free are doing them cheap in France now,great as a sat nav and for information on the move and for reading shrimperzone.

Wondered whether any one can offer advice. Flying to Seville for a week in February and apart from spending two days in both Seville and Granada (going by train or coach......not car friendly from what I've read), we want to spend three days in an attractive central position which will enable us to hire a car and discover the coast, Gibraltar, Cadiz etc.... was thinking of Ronda.........whilst certainly beautiful......is it practical? Anyone any ideas?....haven't booked any hotels yet, nor hired a car.

Ronda certainly is beautiful.You're better off hiring a car at some point.We stayed at a villa in Lanjeron(a spa town less than 30 minutes drive from Granada) a few years back.Near Driving over Lemons territory too.:winking:
We'd visited Cordoba,Seville and Granada before in the 80's and used to have(Anglo/French) friends living just outside Malaga,so had used trips to visit them to see Marbella,Gib. etc.
Would recommend Cadiz,it's a very lively place.

My Mother in Law lives in Mijas Pueblo, so we're over there quite a bit. If you go to Grenada you've got to see the Alhambra Palace. It's fantastic. Ronda is fantastic too, and there are loads of nice places to explore, go inland and hire a car.

I went to a fantastic bar in Torremolinos called 'Miguel's Bar' twice in 1983. Miguel was a transvestite and took a bit of a shine to me. On the first night, he did some great flamenco dancing while I did a few of the moves from the old punk days. It was the only time I've been given a red rose by a man. Next night though he blanked me. Never could understand why. Hope you have a great time, Yogi - sorry if my information's a bit out of date, mind.

Gibraltar is interesting enough for a day trip; weird little place, but definitely worth a visit. Do be careful if driving though; the border controls there are much better than they used to be, but you're only ever one Guardia Civil officer waking up in a bad mood away from long queues both to get in and out. Best bet is to park up in La Linea, preferably one of the underground car parks which are usually pretty safe.

before Shimpero gets there, can I just say Spanish bombs......

(its a musical refence and nothing to do with advice about visiting there before anyone get too concerned)

Thank you to everyone for the continuing advice. I had to virtually force the trip on my wife, who was not turned on at all by a visit down there. So, unless she really falls in love with the area, it may be the only time we go, thus there is a tendency on my part, to try and fit too much into a week! The biggest problem I have at the moment is deciding where to base myself after hiring a car from Seville. I suppose that I'm searching for a central base, which will allow us to see many of the things mentioned above and something rather quieter in contrast to large and bustling Seville and Granada. I was attracted to Ronda, which seem to tick most of the boxes but from what I've heard it's difficult to access. Would one want the task of coming and going at least three times, or is it a great place to visit once?
I did think that a quiet, pretty, fishing village on the coast may be a good idea, although perhaps that's a thing of fifty years ago and doesn't exist anywhere else, apart from in my mind!

Ronda is picturesque but there's not a huge amount to do there as such. Driving from Ronda to Grenada will be a few hours at least.

Why not think about Malaga? That's a good base, they've spent some money improving the area lately, good museums, nightlife if that's what you want and excellent value restaurants. Easy access to lots of places as well, and you're on the coast. You've also got access to the train station, although I confess I've never used the trains there.

pronounced Andaluffffia for anyone who considers themselves a wine critic

Ronda is picturesque but there's not a huge amount to do there as such. Driving from Ronda to Grenada will be a few hours at least.

Why not think about Malaga? That's a good base, they've spent some money improving the area lately, good museums, nightlife if that's what you want and excellent value restaurants. Easy access to lots of places as well, and you're on the coast. You've also got access to the train station, although I confess I've never used the trains there.
Having used the danse wii of one of our nieces over Christmas, I fear that my disco days (nights) are behind me. I think that a leisurely Bath chair ride along the promenade is probably more appropriate! Aiming to go directly to Grananda, by public transport, on our arrival. Returning to Seville, we'd hire a car for three days of touring, prior to spending the last couple of days (without a car) in Seville. From what I understand, you're suggesting that Ronda is worth a visit rather than a stay?

That's right. We have stayed there overnight, but it's very quiet and the majority of the interest comes from daytrippers going to see the bullring, bridge and canyon. Picturesque but I would say it's a daytrip.

That's right. We have stayed there overnight, but it's very quiet and the majority of the interest comes from daytrippers going to see the bullring, bridge and canyon. Picturesque but I would say it's a daytrip.

But that's precisely why it's worth staying overnight there(or nearby) so you can see the bullring etc first thing in the morning or the bridge/canyon late at night without the attendant coachtrip hordes.Not that there are likely to be that many coaches in Feb. during France's skiing week(ie half term for lucky teachers).:winking:

Back