• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Andre Blackman

You need to watch the game pal. Hutchinson was over that side once because Macca took a corner the other side of the pitch and didn’t get to swap back immediately.

Hutchinson didnt defend the 3rd goal well I agree but watch it properly because it travelled from the other side of the pitch across our centre midfield where Hamilton got nowhere near tight enough and allowed him tome to play out to their right midfielder.

Hutchinson went out and closed down only for the fella to play a one/two with the forward who wasn’t marked on the edge of the box. Blackman could’ve recovered but was lazy and let Hutchinson do it and he couldn’t block the cross. Mantom was then ball watching and left his man who had a free header from 6 yards.

I’m all for blaming whoever ****s it up but get it right on who was doing what wrong first.

Btw Hutchinson was **** but he played out of position and still created the only two clear cut goal chances we had and had Humphrys made it 2-0 from his through ball we’d have all called it the pass of the season.....

Ask how we’d all react if Cox was repeatedly made to play Right Mid and double up with Elvis all game......that’s what Hutchinson (who is the closest like for like positionally to Cox that we have) is being asked to do.
I did watch the game "pal" - he switched sides second half. I was on his side first half and he was all over the place. No need for the lecture, first half hutchinson was blowing and whilst he can be decent going forward he leaves us vulnerable at the back.

I did watch the game "pal" - he switched sides second half. I was on his side first half and he was all over the place. No need for the lecture, first half hutchinson was blowing and whilst he can be decent going forward he leaves us vulnerable at the back.

He switched once. Macca took a corner from our right and as the game broke he filled in on that side until a suitable break in play. Unfortunately it resulted in a goal which he played a part in....along with Hamilton, Blackman and Mantom!!

Leaves is vulnerable at the back?

Yeah I agree...but so do Mantom, Hamilton, Goodship, Ndukwu, Shaughnessy, Blackman and at times Elvis.

In fact you want to know our worst defender....? It’s Simon Cox. He doesnt press, he doesn’t force mistakes and he doesn’t pick up their deepest midfielder which as a 10 is he main defensive role. But people accept this in Cox due to his attacking qualities.....which have wielded no goals, no assists and no chances created all season....

He switched once. Macca took a corner from our right and as the game broke he filled in on that side until a suitable break in play. Unfortunately it resulted in a goal which he played a part in....along with Hamilton, Blackman and Mantom!!

Yeah I agree...but so do Mantom, Hamilton, Goodship, Ndukwu, Shaughnessy, Blackman and at times Elvis.

In fact you want to know our worst defender....? It’s Simon Cox. He doesnt press, he doesn’t force mistakes and he doesn’t pick up their deepest midfielder which as a 10 is he main defensive role. But people accept this in Cox due to his attacking qualities.....which have wielded no goals, no assists and no chances created all season....
I agree, Cox seems a bit lost. I suppose we suffer from having few true wingers (other than Macca)....Maybe need Dieng in DMC alongside Hamilton....

Yep agree about Cox and I also noticed how many times Humphrys came back to defend and cleared the ball, also blocked a shot that looked very dangerous.

Not sure what's wrong with him but he he wasn't any better than Blackman who actually showed glimpses of quality but needs to get much fitter and be more determined to get back when needed.

Yep agree about Cox and I also noticed how many times Humphrys came back to defend and cleared the ball, also blocked a shot that looked very dangerous.

Not sure what's wrong with him but he he wasn't any better than Blackman who actually showed glimpses of quality but needs to get much fitter and be more determined to get back when needed.

I noticed about 10 mins in after an attack Coz went down on his heels, took out his shin guard on his left leg and was doing some stretches. Never looked quite at it after that so I wonder if he had a knock or strain?

Blackman doesn't play a minute yet we still concede 4, can't all be down to him then.

I can’t recall (or care) if he switched or not, but surely If a player switched sides at HT they either play on the side you are watching from for the whole match or none of the match?

Thought

He done well v Orient.....blimey look at the rest of the useless lumps around him before Blackman this Blackman that. How bout that dynamic useless lump in midfield, Sam Mantom?

Thought

He done well v Orient.....blimey look at the rest of the useless lumps around him before Blackman this Blackman that. How bout that dynamic useless lump in midfield, Sam Mantom?

Sam Mantom is a good player and played really well at the tailend of last season when Rob Kiernan was in a defensive midfield role behind him. But his confidence is now low and he needs a manager who knows how to make better use of his talents.

No-one presses, which is my main concern. But of the front players, Cox is probably the only one that goes to close down. No-one supports him, meaning the opposition just play around him and he probably thinks, "What's the point?" On at least 3 occasions v Shrewsbury, he was pressing, turned around and had no support at all. The one who really doesn't press or do anything defensively is Humphrys.

If we have Mantom/Milligan sitting deeper, then it should be Cox, Humphrys, Goodship, Macca and Hamilton all pushing up and pressing the defenders. They don't. They sit there, waiting. The opposition have a completely clear run into our half, by which time we are under pressure.

We need to defend higher up the pitch.

Cox pressing when no one else is is as useful as a hand brake on a canoe! And it’s as damaging defensively as one player not pressing when the rest are!!!

If he presses when others aren’t he’s just leaving gaps and exposing areas of the pitch....while he gets played around and wastes energy. If you’re saying he does this then he’s not as a clever a player as I thought he was.

Maybe it’s another case of Cox not doing what the manger asked of the team and just doing his own thing?

Last edited:
I’d like to know, as Blackman and Hutchinson, were the only two players left out from Saturday, were they carrying the can for the defensive issues?? If so what happens now?

I mean you concede 3 to an in form 4th placed Fleetwood who are the second HIGHEST scorers in the league....and it’s because of two players (apparently) to then concede 4 goals to a side sitting 13th with the second LOWEST goals scored in the division...

Odd that.

I’d like to know, as Blackman and Hutchinson, were the only two players left out from Saturday, were they carrying the can for the defensive issues?? If so what happens now?

I mean you concede 3 to an in form 4th placed Fleetwood who are the second HIGHEST scorers in the league....and it’s because of two players (apparently) to then concede 4 goals to a side sitting 13th with the second LOWEST goals scored in the division...

Odd that.
Good point.

I bet there's a few John White isn't good enough pundits seething that he's out injured and can't be blamed too.

I can’t recall (or care) if he switched or not, but surely If a player switched sides at HT they either play on the side you are watching from for the whole match or none of the match?
Yes, exactly, he played on my side the entire game, or so i thought.

Back