• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
FORD QUITS WINGS
13/10/2009

Blue Square South club Welling United have confirmed that Andy Ford has resigned from his position as first-team manager with immediate effect.

Ford stepped down from his role on Monday, ending his reign which had started in January 2008.

Lee Protheroe will take temporary charge whilst the club will now begin the search for a new manager.

Ford was appointed as Wings` boss on the 31st January 2008, taking over from previous manager Neil Smith. Phil Handford joined Ford as his assistant and the two kept the club in the Blue Square South.

In the summer of 2008 Handford left his position as assistant-manager and former Sutton United boss Jimmy Dack was given the role.

The 2008/09 season saw Ford and Dack guide the Wings to a seventh-placed finish - the highest ever for the Kent side in the Blue Square South. They also secured the Kent Senior Cup for Welling with a 6-1 defeat of Whitstable Town in the final.

Dack departed in the summer of 2009, and thus Ford had to appoint a new assistant. He eventually gave the position to Protheroe.

Although Welling had a promising pre-season, it was a disappointing start to the 2009/10 Blue campaign, with the Wings currently lying in eighteenth position.

Despite only twelve league games into the season, Ford resigned, with his last game in charge being the 2-0 defeat to high-flyers Dover Athletic in the FA Cup last Saturday.

In a statement to the club`s supporters Ford said: “It is with regret that I have offered my resignation to Barry Hobbins, which was accepted.

“I have resigned for a combination of reasons, but primarily because I do not feel that my ambition of achieving a play-off place are achievable within the constraints that are put upon this football club.

“I have enjoyed my time at the club over the last two seasons and have achieved what I set out to do, but this season has not lived up to my expectations.

“Budgets have been cut, injuries have been unprecedented. I feel that it is time for a new fresh approach for someone else to try and take this great family club forward.

“I genuinely wish the new manager can bring the club success.”

Back