• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
From today's Southern Daily Echo:

HARRIS ON HIS WEY

Departed Eastleigh midfielder Andy Harris has returned to Blue Square South rivals Weymouth after a three-year stay at the Silverlake.

The 32-year-old was a huge fans' favourite during his first spell at Weymouth when he helped the Terras reach the Conference and scored a memorable equaliser at Nottingham Forest in the first round of the FA Cup. But a knee operation at the start of the following season saw the ex-Orient and Southend star struggle to regain his place and he eventually sealed a move back to BS South with Eastleigh.

Many supporters were sad to see Harris go and new Weymouth boss Matty Hale is chuffed to have him back on board as the Dorset club look to bounce back from relegation from the BS Premier. "Andy has been at Weymouth before, he is passionate and he has a lot of experience, so it is fantastic to have him back on board," said Hale.

Eastleigh boss Ian Baird explained last week that former skipper Harris had been released purely for financial reasons. The Spitfires could not match the deal he was given when he first joined the club in September 2006.

Harris said: "I have been at Eastleigh for the last three years but when they offered me a contract at the end of last season I declined their offer because I was getting fed up with all the travelling and, to be honest, I just wanted to get back to Weymouth. I spoke to [Weymouth chairman] Ian Ridley before Matty Hale had even been appointed and told him I would be available if and when the new manager came in. As soon as Matty was unveiled he contacted me and said he wanted me on board and after that there was never really a decision to make."

Did he not have quite a serious knee problem, which was why he could no longer play league football - rather like Mike Marsh...?

Matt

I think it was more serious than that. He had a problem with both legs, causing an inability to play without failing to mark his man, give away penalties or own goals. He was eventually forced to abandon his league career due to this affliction. Shame. Had 9 GCSE's and was Liverpool reserve captain dontchaknow.....

I think it was more serious than that. He had a problem with both legs, causing an inability to play without failing to mark his man, give away penalties or own goals. He was eventually forced to abandon his league career due to this affliction. Shame. Had 9 GCSE's and was Liverpool reserve captain dontchaknow.....

And he could play chess.

I only just spotted this today, but Andy Harris is currently Caretaker Manager of Weymouth.

He's been caretaker for around a dozen games but doesn't want the role full time as he couldn't devote enough time to the role.

I only just spotted this today, but Andy Harris is currently Caretaker Manager of Weymouth.

He's been caretaker for around a dozen games but doesn't want the role full time as he couldn't devote enough time to the role.

That's definitely the reason he doesn't want the job, and it has nothing to do with the fact that they are winless in 12 and won't therefore want him as manager.

A tad unfair on Andy Harris IMHO, was our youngster ever captain when Alvin gave him the honour, and if you think we had it tough now, it is just more in the open, under those dark days when AH was at Roots Hall we had no reserve team, players not in the first team squad was just kicking their heels during the week, the debt was increasing but not just so much paper coverage or fans site to contribute

A tad unfair on Andy Harris IMHO, was our youngster ever captain when Alvin gave him the honour, and if you think we had it tough now, it is just more in the open, under those dark days when AH was at Roots Hall we had no reserve team, players not in the first team squad was just kicking their heels during the week, the debt was increasing but not just so much paper coverage or fans site to contribute

The other bad factor you miss out was that Andy Harris was in the team.

Back