• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Murray - Predictions for the forthcoming year

• I think he will reach the Top 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think he will reach the Top 10

• I think he will stay around the same ranking as he is now

• I couldn't give two hoots

• I do care, hate the little Scottish ****, want him to do badly

• Total voters

scrounger

Duncan Goodhew
I love tennis, and think that Andy Murray will reach the Top 10, if not Top 5 by the end of the year, providing he does not pick up an injury.

Brad Gilbert has got him on extra training to improve his stamina in recent weeks. Probably a good thing, bearing in mind he looks tired after the first set of every match.

On the other hand, after his comments about England, when he stated he would wear a Paraguay shirt, I don't like his immature attitude and would like to see him get stuffed by a top pro. He wants to support other countries, I will do the same when he plays any other opponent.

tw&t, that gunman clearly didnt do his job properly
blush.gif

His comments certainly were ill advised however it is also nice for GB to have a player with genuine potential after years of watching Henman and Rusedski amble along.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ Jan. 11 2007,09:10)]On the other hand, after his comments about England, when he stated he would wear a Paraguay shirt, I don't like his immature attitude and would like to see him get stuffed by a top pro.
Bloody hell, some people take themselves wayyyy too seriously.  He's a bloody 19 year-old kid.  Are you telling me that you never said anything a teensy bit controversial / inflammatory when you were a teenager?

Get over yourself, FFS.  Murray is the most exciting British sporting prospect we've seen since Rooney emerged as a talent.  Unlike Tiger Tim, Murray has got the natural game to go on and win slams.  He beat Federer in straight sets  in an ATP tournament last year.

Anyone who is (a) British; and (b) has a passing interest in tennis ought to be trumpeting this man from the rooftops, not seething about a moderately daft teenage throwaway quip he made.

suspect.gif

mad.gif

Get a grip.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 11 2007,10:23)]Anyone who is (a) British; and (b) has a passing interest in tennis ought to be trumpeting this man from the rooftops ...
Damn! Don't qualify for (b) so I've had to go for the last option!

wink.gif

As he himself said, it was a joke - just a shame some people get so wound up about it. I made a similar joke by obtaining a white T-Shirt and applying on transfers of the Paraguay, T&T and Sweden flags to wear.
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Jan. 11 2007,09:26)]As he himself said, it was a joke - just a shame some people get so wound up about it. I made a similar joke by obtaining a white T-Shirt and applying on transfers of the Paraguay, T&T and Sweden flags to wear.
wow.gif
Yeah right.......
suspect.gif

Think we (the English, especially those ex-pats residing in Scotland) get so wound up as the "Sweatys" in general make such t1ts of themselves by being ABE

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 11 2007,09:47)]*sigh*

Et tu, Glesgae...

sad.gif
You know my thoughts on this.
Go back to the Andy Murray Paraguay comments thread around the start of the World Cup......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Jan. 11 2007,09:50)]You know my thoughts on this.
Go back to the Andy Murray Paraguay comments thread around the start of the World Cup......
He's a bloody kid!! Are you seriously saying that you never said anything ill-judged as a teenager?! Is he not allowed to be a teenager because he happens to be a tennis-player?!

rock.gif
Oo.gif

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sure I said things "for a laugh" as a teen which would make me cringe now. It is the time where one's hormones and one's desire to be liked tends to rule one's better sense.

Or have you forgotten what it was like to be a teenager?

sad.gif

I just think people need to get over themselves and get a sense of perspective, I really do.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 11 2007,09:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ Jan. 11 2007,09:10)]On the other hand, after his comments about England, when he stated he would wear a Paraguay shirt, I don't like his immature attitude and would like to see him get stuffed by a top pro.
Bloody hell, some people take themselves wayyyy too seriously.  He's a bloody 19 year-old kid.  Are you telling me that you never said anything a teensy bit controversial / inflammatory when you were a teenager?
You have obviously not met scrounger yet have you?!  
laugh.gif

Although, I couldn't care about his joke T-shirt, still not a big fan of him.  Personally I think the 19 year old 'kid' is an arrogant little tosser and not really bothered if he wins or loses.  Personally think 19 year old 'kids' should still know how to handle themselves, rather than acting as exactly that - a child.

You could make the argument that this only gets highlighted by the media, but personally I do not take any notice of that because every game I've ever seen him play live he has acted like a spoilt brat.  People go on about Rooneys attitude, but IMO Rooneys attitude is a million times better than Murrays.  Rooney is a much higher profile figure for the public, playing in a much more competitive and passionate sport and has been known to lose it once or twice granted, but I never see him whinge after every single match like Murray does win, lose or draw*.  (Draws just for Rooneys benefit!!) (Also, like to add I'm not actually a big fan of Rooney while on the pitch, just think Murray is even worse!)

All that said though, I think he will end the year around 6/7th if avoids injury and maintains progress.  Think could even be in with a shout of reaching the Wimbledon final, but I think it'll be 2008 before we see him win any grand slam.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 11 2007,09:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Jan. 11 2007,09:50)]You know my thoughts on this.
He's a bloody kid!!  Are you seriously saying that you never said anything ill-judged as a teenager?!  Is he not allowed to be a teenager because he happens to be a tennis-player?!

rock.gif

Oo.gif

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sure I said things "for a laugh" as a teen which would make me cringe now.  It is the time where one's hormones and one's desire to be liked tends to rule one's better sense.

Or have you forgotten what it was like to be a teenager?

sad.gif

I just think people need to get over themselves and get a sense of perspective, I really do.

Matt
But the thing is, with what he said in this particular case, I'd say it's not just his age that made him say what he said.

Believe me, the same sentiment would have come out if he was 8 or 80. In certain (note, for the defence, NOT ALL) Scottish people the anti-English sentiment is in-built.

This is a country after all where cinemas had to employ extra security staff whilst showing Braveheart as on the first couple of days there incidents of anti-English racial abuse! People were cheering & singing Flower of Scotland at the end of a film for f**k's sake! Lest ye forget the case of the small boy (wearing an England shirt), playing with his Dad in a local park who was punched by a mono braincelled Scotsman who felt he was doing his bit for his country by abusing a schoolboy.

Fair enough, the innocence of youth can be a cringe-making thing where we do/say things we regret (& if for example he'd come out with a loadsamoney style comment about his new £1m sponsorship deal with Highland Spring) we could put it down to immaturity.

Sorry, but he knew full well what he was saying & only backtracked and claimed it to be "a joke" when he realised his Wimbledon support wasn't as fully behind him as the year before! Plus it wasn't an isolated incident, he also came out with some anti-English diatribe while being interviewed on Soccer AM around April last year!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Jan. 11 2007,10:02)]Personally I think the 19 year old 'kid' is an arrogant little tosser and not really bothered if he wins or loses.  Personally think 19 year old 'kids' should still know how to handle themselves, rather than acting as exactly that - a child.
John McEnroe acted like a spoilt brat for his entire career. It still doesn't alter the fact that he's probably the most exciting tennis player I've seen since I've been alive.

Yes, one can't help but admire the sang-froid of Borg / Lendl / Sampras / Federer... but equally you'll never love them as much as a McEnroe / Connors / Becker / Agassi.

If it wins him slams, I'd be happy to see Murray stay as a hot-head for his entire career.

Matt

I'm with Matt on this one. If someone had followed me around since I was a teenager, noting down all of my comments and opinions, I'd be in prison by now.

I couldn't really give a flying f%ck about Tennis, but the boy's clearly got some talent.

I just hope we don't get one of those Lennox Lewis things where he's a British Tennis star if he wins and a Scottish Tennis player if he loses.

Back