• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Murray

What do you classify Andy Murray as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will never understand those who dislike Murray so much. :nope:

Do they hate Sir Chris Hoy too?

Two sports where you compete for Britain, so what's the bloody difference???

Will never understand those who dislike Murray so much. :nope:

People can dislike who they want. There's plenty of people who I don't like.

I can see why some people might dislike Andy Murray, it's just the excuses that get wheeled out to justify it which makes me laugh.

Interesting point made by Andy Murray yesterday that I hadn't considered before. This is a list of the other three, and who they played when they first won a grand slam:

Federer: Wimbledon 2003, Mark Philippoussis
Nadal: French 2005, Mariano Puerta
Djokovic: Australian 2008, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Philippoussis never won a grand slam before, or after. In fact he only appeared in two finals. Mariano Puerta only ever played in one final. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has also never won a slam, but I'm not sure how many finals he's played in.

Murray is the only one of the top four to have only played other players in the top four in slam finals. This is who Murray has played in all his finals so far:

2008: US, Federer
2010: Australian, Federer
2011: Australian, Djokovic
2012: Wimbledon, Federer
2012: US, Djokovic

The other three had it far easier (or should that be less difficult) than he has in terms of opponents.

Last edited:
I know so many people who dislike him and because many of my mates do, I have tried to dislike him but I can't because it is a gut feeling of being gutted when he misses a shot and one of elation when he hits a winner.

I have never really sat down and thought about why I do or don't like him. But for me when I think of him I think of an extremely hard working British tennis player who has pretty much all of Britain supporting him. Sadly he lives in a country with media who will dig for information to make anyone look bad.

I accept that he is Scottish. I am English and I want to beat Scotland in any sport we play them but when it's an individual support and as a neutral I will always support the local players. I suppose I become British instead of English. If Andy Murray played against a fellow Brit or even Englishman I wouldn't have an allegiance I would just want to witness a good game of tennis.

I bet it has been awful being told probably most days that we haven't won a major since Fred Perry. But, Andy Murray can't re-write history and it isn't through choice he hasn't won. He is playing in an era where there are some quality tennis players.

I like the passion that I see on court from Murray and that is why I have always liked him. I have always found it strange that he can't convey that passion in an interview. But, for me that doesn't matter, he isn't a professional at interviewing he is a professional at tennis. I knew there was some emotion hidden in there and to have seen that in the final at Wimbledon, the Olympics and now the US Open I am delighted that he has shown me why I always want him to do well.

Nice one Andy!

Out in the 3rd round of the Madrid Masters, what's going on with Murray? He's gone off the boil massively!

No coach and possibly Elena Baltacha's death might have affected him.

He had back surgery.

Valid points all. He is in a bit of a Catch 22 as he needs more matches to get back to his best, but he's not playing anywhere near his best because he's not playing enough!

In reference to this week in particular (and beating Almagro in R2 was a decent result by the way), I wouldn't underestimate his mental state following the untimely death of Elena Baltacha. They had known each other since they were young children and it's notable that he's not come out with any sort of statement about it.

The guy is class and will be back, hopefully soon.

I read recently he is considering John McEnroe as his new coach.

Murray and Mauresmo split. Andy needs to get a coach to help him on the mental side of the game - he's a bit fragile there IMHO. Need someone like Lendl.

Murray making a meal of his next match too. Lost 6 games on the trot to a Wildcard. :facepalm:

Back