• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Robinson?

shrimperian

Coach
Just got a call from a mate in Swansea. Winding me up over England big time and then said that Andy Robinson has turned down Swanseas offer of a contract extension. He reckons we have made a £150,000 bid, but Swans are trying to talk him out of it. Looks as though they failed. I told my mate what Tilly said about the squad needing only two more strikers and he said "you can have Fallon we will take three training balls"

He said most Swans fans would be really peed off if robinson went but felt that if he were to go they wouldnt mind if it was to us!! I dont know where all this mutual love has come from but long may it continue!!

Would be another good signing I reckon if we could get him. What happened to that other Swansea bloke Mcleod we were after did he sign a contract for them in the end

McLeod is a no go. (heard from Tilly himself after Swansea game)

Robinson on the other hand....

Isn't he bordering on obesity?

rock.gif

on their site says he is a striker but thought he was a midfield myself but obviously not, scored 18 last season

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 01 2006,19:26)]Isn't he bordering on obesity?

rock.gif
Obscenity more like....

wow.gif

_41095414_robinson_trundle_0612_203.jpg

Doesn't seem any more rotund than Trundle, anyway.

good center midfield player in the Peter Butler / Gutts mold, thought he was excellent against us at the Liberty ( or whatever it's called ) and scored 18 last season

but would he settle for a place on the bench behind Gutts and Maher?

Great player. Gives 110% (Lampard take note, c%&t) and never gives up. Can play all across the midfield and would be a good adition.

Here's hoping that he does make his way up the M4 towards Southend, he's be an excellent addition to the squad IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ July 01 2006,20:15)]good center midfield player in the Peter Butler / Gutts mold, thought he was excellent against us at the Liberty ( or whatever it's called ) and scored 18 last season

but would he settle for a place on the bench behind Gutts and Maher?
No, he'd be first choice. He walked all around Maher at the Liberty Stadium on numurous occassions which me & Gav were quick to point out to ORM in the row infront ...

biggrin.gif

Tilly is 100% interested, for sure, its just a case of persuading him to come to Southend! Here's hoping he does, as he'd be a fantastic signing for sure.

Robinson is a great player. Takes an awesome free-kick too, which is one of the reasons why he chalked up so many goals last season. I'd love to see him here.

And Fallon too, for that matter.

Andy Robinson would be a brilliant buy only
2x strikers
2x Midfielders (1 centre, 1 winger)
2xCb back up and replace prior as he is retiring this year

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly N Brush @ July 02 2006,15:06)]Andy Robinson would be a brilliant buy only
2x strikers
Another 6 players? Can't see it myself. The squad is coming together now and a couple more forward players are needed, but I think one of Southend's great strengths is the team spirit, and for that to be maintained I think you need a smaller, well-knit squad where EVERY player has a chance of making the team at some point.

The minute the squad gets so big that some of the players are virtually certain that they won't feature, then you either get "passengers" who develop a lazy attitude, or unhappy players, either way you have division within the ranks. I thought TB&R had cut it too fine last season, but it worked out (and how!!!). I wouldn't want to see too many more players signed now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ July 02 2006,15:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly N Brush @ July 02 2006,15:06)]Andy Robinson would be a brilliant buy only
2x strikers
Another 6 players? Can't see it myself. The squad is coming together now and a couple more forward players are needed, but I think one of Southend's great strengths is the team spirit, and for that to be maintained I think you need a smaller, well-knit squad where EVERY player has a chance of making the team at some point.

The minute the squad gets so big that some of the players are virtually certain that they won't feature, then you either get "passengers" who develop a lazy attitude, or unhappy players, either way you have  division within the ranks. I thought TB&R had cut it too fine last season, but it worked out (and how!!!). I wouldn't want to see too many more players signed now.
Bang on. People may say the squad was too small last year but I think it was one of the main reasons why we did so well. If we struggle we can loan or buy at the appropriate time in the season. I'd be happy with a couple more strikers and another central midfielder (possibly robinson if rumours are true) to replace benno

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly N Brush @ July 02 2006,15:06)]2xCb back up and replace prior as he is retiring this year
Why does everyone think we need another centre back?? We have plenty of CB's now, Barrett, Sodje, Spinner, Hammell, Francis, Hunt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ July 02 2006,23:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly N Brush @ July 02 2006,15:06)]2xCb back up and replace prior as he is retiring this year
Why does everyone think we need another centre back?? We have plenty of CB's now, Barrett, Sodje, Spinner, Hammell, Francis, Hunt
...and Cheese - I can't believe you left him out!

wow.gif

We don't need any more defenders, IMHO. Strikers and a replacement for Mark Bentley (i.e. big, rumbustious midfielder) is what we need...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 03 2006,13:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ July 02 2006,23:04)]
[b said:
...and Cheese - I can't believe you left him out!

:
Maybe he was only naming the good players.
wow.gif

Back