• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Sussex

TWENTY-SEVEN years ago today, Southend United completed a great escape act with a memorable 2-1 win against Luton Town.

More...

Can someone please put the full Interview up as I can't access it.
TWENTY-SEVEN years ago today, Southend United completed a great escape act with a memorable 2-1 win against Luton Town.

The final day victory at Roots Hall is best remembered for being Stan Collymore’s last outing for the Shrimpers.

But it was Andy Sussex who took the lime-light against the Hatters as he broke the deadlock with a stunning long range volley.
And it is a match Sussex still remembers with great fondness.
“The Luton game really does stick out when I look back on my time at Southend,” said Sussex.
“I remember there just being so much riding on it.

“I think we had to win to make sure we stayed up and Luton were in the same boat too.

“I remember scoring the volley quite clearly even though I haven’t seen it for about 10 years now.

“But it was a great day, with all the fans coming on the pitch at the end.

“I also think it was the only time we had any champagne in the whole time I was there!”

Sussex joined Blues from Crewe Alexandra in 1991 and relished his six seasons at Roots Hall.

“I enjoyed it,” said Sussex, who made 90 appearances for the Shrimpers.

“We were in what’s now known as the Championship and we were up against some big clubs and players.

“The Luton game was the most memorable I had at Roots Hall but I also really enjoyed winning at Derby in my first away game for the club.

“I got a free-kick and Peter Shilton was in goal, I think it went straight through his hands!”

Sussex lined up in both midfield and in attack while with Blues.

And he played for a number of charismatic managers.

“I was there for six years and I had six managers,” recalled Sussex.

“When Dave Webb was manager I think that was the best time for me but we had some real characters as managers.

“Barry Fry was certainly one and Colin Murphy a big character too.

“You never knew what was going to happen next with him.”

And Murphy was also responsible for the most memorable training sessions of Sussex’s career.

“It was on the Friday morning before a home game,” said the 55-year-old.

“There was an Astroturf pitch on the right hand side of the training ground as you drove in.

“It was a couple of tennis courts really but he took us all on there, put us all in a circle and he went to get a cricket bat.

“He then started smashing cricket balls at us to try and catch.

“We didn’t even do anything after that either.

“We just got changed and went home ready for the next day.”

Murphy spent just 10 months in charge of the Shrimpers before being replaced by Fry, who led the team to safety against all odds.

Collymore did most of the damage on the pitch and Sussex loved lining up alongside the powerful striker.

“Stan and I had a good partnership,” said Sussex.

“He scored all the goals but we played well together and I remember him winning a few penalties I put away as well.”

Sussex stayed with Southend until 1997 when he joined Canvey Island and won back to back promotions with the Gulls.

Sussex also went on to play for Grays Athletic before retiring and is now involved in property.

“I work in property maintenance,” said Sussex, who lives in Cheshunt.

“My trade is a ceramic tiler so I deal with property refurbishments and insurance claims and things like that.

“I’m on furlough at the moment so I’m getting bored but it’s nice to look back on some nice memories.”

When Judas Fry took over, he built his team with most of the many players he signed during the close season. Andy Sussex wasn't one of his favourites, hence why he didn't play many games under him.
Personally never rated him much, when challenging for headers, but he def had a rocket shot on him. Think he scored a cracker for Crewe down here, season before we signed him?.

Back