• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News ANG joins Ebbsfleet on loan for a month

Looking forward to seeing him play for us at Ebbsfleet. He will be well looked after with us as our facilities have been said to be as good as those at Championship clubs. Hopefully, he will enjoy the style of football that our manager likes playing which is very easy on the eye and when it comes off produces some great results. Unfortunately, it has also caught us out at times- hence why we are only 5th at the moment. Our manager will use him appropriately as well - and won't overplay him, so I'm sure the loan deal will be good for both of our teams.
Do keep us updated in the loan thread please. The way he glides past players like they aren’t there is quite something but end product is, shall we say, more work in progress. For now I’m just happy he’s playing football again.

Thought he did ok on Saturday. He came on at half time and didn't do anything spectacular, but he did have an overhead kick on target and another shot from the edge of the area fly just over. The lack of preparation with his teammates was clear as he played 2 or 3 good slip passes through, but others were not quite on the same wavelength. Some of our fans suggested he is no better than we already have, and don't acknowledge that it was his first game for 10 months so he's bound to be lacking match sharpness and probably a degree of confidence.

I imagine that , with a week of training with his teammates we will see a much sharper player next week.

Thought he did ok on Saturday. He came on at half time and didn't do anything spectacular, but he did have an overhead kick on target and another shot from the edge of the area fly just over. The lack of preparation with his teammates was clear as he played 2 or 3 good slip passes through, but others were not quite on the same wavelength. Some of our fans suggested he is no better than we already have, and don't acknowledge that it was his first game for 10 months so he's bound to be lacking match sharpness and probably a degree of confidence.

I imagine that , with a week of training with his teammates we will see a much sharper player next week.

If he ever realises that football is a team game let us know.
Completely failed us in the last few months of 20/21.

Completely failed is a little harsh; I seem to remember him putting away a penalty no one else seemed to want to take in what was at the time a fairly crucial game.
An oft repeated story in professional football: it did not quite work out for him while he was at Southend.
It is a tough profession where success is elusive and often transitory.

Completely failed is a little harsh; I seem to remember him putting away a penalty no one else seemed to want to take in what was at the time a fairly crucial game.
An oft repeated story in professional football: it did not quite work out for him while he was at Southend.
It is a tough profession where success is elusive and often transitory.

Demetriou was the nominated penalty taker and tried to wrestle the ball back. Shame MM didn't sub him immediately after because ANG was fast asleep for the Scunny equaliser. So cost us 2 points

Then we missed two pens after that. Again costing us points. Had JD taken all 3 like he was supposed to we could have avoided relegation.

Players openly ignoring instructions whilst the game is in play meant MM had to go.....And we are in the NL.

JD taking the penalty in the shoot out against Boreham Wood in the FA Cup suggests to me it was not a given he would have scored on the two other occasions, and, that we would still be in League 2 as a result. I respect your opinion although mine does differ.
What we can agree on is managers should manage and who should take penalties must be known by the players, even after substitutions have been made or players injured.
I am normally an MM defender but in this case will throw him under the bus and not accept his likely excuse that under his watch he never expected us to ever be awarded a penalty as we never spent any time in the opposition area!

The encouraging thing here is that he had a couple of goal attempts. He has a decent goalscoring record apart from when he was here where he didn't often take a shot at goal, rather try and beat someone else or make a bad pass.

Demetriou was the nominated penalty taker and tried to wrestle the ball back. Shame MM didn't sub him immediately after because ANG was fast asleep for the Scunny equaliser. So cost us 2 points

Then we missed two pens after that. Again costing us points. Had JD taken all 3 like he was supposed to we could have avoided relegation.

Players openly ignoring instructions whilst the game is in play meant MM had to go.....And we are in the NL.
Not sure what makes you think Demetriou taking penalty = guaranteed goal.

He missed in the penalty shootout against Boreham Wood.

Not sure what makes you think Demetriou taking penalty = guaranteed goal.

He missed in the penalty shootout against Boreham Wood.
For a start a penalty shootouts have no baring on a one off penalty.

Its more the damage it does to a team if some unprofessional idiot snatches a ball away from the man who hasn't missed. Its an open two fingers up at your team mates. It was a crucial game so his contract should have been terminated immediately and not allowed on the team bus.

What we do know for sure is Akinola missed the following one at home and Matt Rush missed in the last game. In fairness to Matt it was more of a good save than a miss.

The days of suffering those sort of players are over and ANG would be first on my clear out list. Its an honour to pull that shirt on and as long as players remember that, they will get the fans full love and respect.

Its more the damage it does to a team if some unprofessional idiot snatches a ball away from the man who hasn't missed. Its an open two fingers up at your team mates. It was a crucial game so his contract should have been terminated immediately and not allowed on the team bus.

What we do know for sure is Akinola missed the following one at home and Matt Rush missed in the last game. In fairness to Matt it was more of a good save than a miss.

The days of suffering those sort of players are over and ANG would be first on my clear out list. Its an honour to pull that shirt on and as long as players remember that, they will get the fans full love and respect.
I agree there shouldn’t be any arguments over who takes the one if you have a set pen taker. If the set pen taker isnt feeling right then there should be a back up i guess, there should never be an argument over who is taking them.

Not sure I agree that we would have stayed up if JD takes all 3 as he could have missed either of the other 2, we will never know. Akinolas was a poor pen but thats his style apparently, having never seen him take one before I do not know. As for for the Matt Rush pen it was a decent save but a poorly struck penalty, for me it was not a good pen out a good save.

What has gone on in the past is exactly that, we have moved on and ar now progressing thats what we hsould focus on. If KM and his team want ANG, SA and others around as they think they can add then so be it, it they dont they will move them on. I think they have shown they can be ruthless moving people eon etc.

A penalty is a penalty. You can't have it both ways. Arguably, a pen in a shootout is more pressurised than a pen in normal game time.

Anyone know how he did coming off the bench at the start of the second half?

Quite. Think how WA was after a long time out and now. To be ready to be considered for us he needs a good month on loan to get match fit...he still only 26 so probably not quite as tough to "ramp up"

It'll be interesting to see how this loan pans out. Whilst I have nothing against the lad, I like Riggers found him to be quite a selfish player and that he hung on to the ball far too long and often ran into blind corners when a simple pass to a team mate was needed. He certainly wasn't that helpful to us in a relegation battle. Who knows .. if he works on his game .. becomes more of a team player and develops that final ball ..

It'll be interesting to see how this loan pans out. Whilst I have nothing against the lad, I like Riggers found him to be quite a selfish player and that he hung on to the ball far too long and often ran into blind corners when a simple pass to a team mate was needed. He certainly wasn't that helpful to us in a relegation battle. Who knows .. if he works on his game .. becomes more of a team player and develops that final ball ..
I think most players in that team he was in were playing individually, simply because they weren't playing as a team at all, I hope he would do well in a tight-knitted team that are playing well.

First of all, if the manager did that he would have been an unprofessional idiot as well. Rash behaviour like that would shatter respect from the players. It cost PB his job on both occasions he was at our club.

For what its worth, I'm not a fan of what ANG did either but this sort of thing happens regularly elsewhere, and the fact is he scored and it was a good penalty as the keeper dived the right way. If he'd missed it would have been a different story. He also scored a poacher's goal against Harrogate to give us three points.

Regarding the second sentence I've highlighted, that's a bit of a myth sadly. There are plenty of players over the years who have received abuse despite the criteria you mention - see Blair Sturrock, Matt Harrold, Luke Prosser for example - who were top pros but mocked and disrespected. Not just our fans either: the abuse Emile Heskey got when he played for England was disgusting despite the effort he put in.

Back