• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
I never made it to an away Anglo Italian Cup match which to this day remains one of my biggest regrets.

Has anyone got any good stories?

Can I just ask what is this cup? I have seen these before on video but have no idea what this cup was about or its purpose?

Can I just ask what is this cup? I have seen these before on video but have no idea what this cup was about or its purpose?

It was English First Division (now Championship) teams versus Italian Serie B teams.

It was a bit like the JPT in a way but you had more chance of being stabbed in the buttocks or having a burning Vespa dropped on your head at away games.

I never went but I do have a VHS of one of the away games, and it includes a few fans making their way there, along with a training session by the Blues beforehand as well. I must get it put on DVD at some point.

One of my favourite competitions. Mad goal-fests, radio interviews with bemused Italian cafe owners, spontaneous violence on the pitch and flying with the team to Florence. Fiorentina v Southend United still looks like a Subbuteo match on paper. Thems were the days.

I loved it, I was only a very young teenager so missed out on the away games. Nowadays when we (along with fellow shrimpers) follow England away we often fantasise about the rebirth of the Anglo Italian Cup (IF Blues made Championship of course). Nowadays with all the low budget airlines, it would be EPIC.

Qualifacation rulings to progress to the international stage seemed to differ each season, I remember one year playing in a mini group (domestically) with Bristol Rovers and West Ham (lost both games 3-0) which meant we did not progress. Another year there was simply a prelim game against another English side before you progressed to the matches against Italians.

Memories from me was the Padova thriller and Chrissy Powells (mistaken identity) red card v Brescia. Also, the away games where our lot were attacked with shovels (?!?!) and of course a certain Gabriel Batistuta notching against us for Firoentina.

Just got these off SUFC Database

1993/94
Home v Pescara (1-3) & Padova (5-2)
Away Fiorentina (0-3) & Consenza (2-1)

1995/96
Home to Foggia (1-2) and Brescia (0-0)
Away to Salemetina (1-2) & Reggiana (1-1)

Turtle 69 Hawklord told me about a book written by one of his mates about this. I'll try to find out what it's called again and plonk up the details.

I didn't go to many of these but I remember Pescara at home - (Jason Lee Scored for us I think) - I am sure that the Great Collina was ref - can anyone confirm this?

It was English First Division (now Championship) teams versus Italian Serie B teams.

It was a bit like the JPT in a way but you had more chance of being stabbed in the buttocks or having a burning Vespa dropped on your head at away games.

"Burning Vespa" is a great name for a band.

Batistuta at roots hall was immense, I remember when we scored I always used to jump on the north bank fence and blow me air horn lol

Qualifacation rulings to progress to the international stage seemed to differ each season, I remember one year playing in a mini group (domestically) with Bristol Rovers and West Ham (lost both games 3-0) which meant we did not progress.

The game against West Ham we lost 3-0 I remember well as it was the first game I went to, it was 30th September 92

Batistuta at roots hall was immense, I remember when we scored I always used to jump on the north bank fence and blow me air horn lol

Batistuta wasn't at Roots Hall. We only played Fiorentina away.

It was hammers and not shovels at somewhere like Cosenza. I can't imagine Ricky Otto winding up the opposition.

Anybody remember the bit on Fantasy Football League they did with "great games Batitstuta's been involved in" or something and it reeled off world cups, euro games etc then had a clip of him against us.

Quality.

Went to the Fiorentina and Reggiana away games, highlight for me was after the Reggiana game (which was an afternoon kick off) we went to watch a European qualifer San Marino v Faroe Islands and not many people can say that, i would guess the crowd was less than a thousand.
Happy Days...

Before the Anglo Italien tournament was introduced we played a friendly at home against Fiorentina. We lost 0-1. My memory is very hazy but i think their goal came from a free kick.
Probably got the programme somewhere.

I went to the Fiorentina game with the team, there was only a hand full of us on the big terrace. Didn't we lose to Notts county on Penalties in the final i seem to Remember us being that close to Wembley again.

Yes mate, Graham Bressington missed the penalty that ended our dreams. Think the match was re-schuled for the following evening after an initial postponement (doesn't happen nowadays).

I was a young teenager and heartbroken....the final would have been on my birthday too :sad:

We was one goal up from the first leg (why I had a soft spot for Phil Gridelet) and that's why I know were definatly not at Wembley in the JPT yet!!!!

I have still never not got used to football (and sport) breaking my heart - but as someone once told me, "You got to have the bad times to really appreciate the good"

Before the Anglo Italien tournament was introduced we played a friendly at home against Fiorentina. We lost 0-1. My memory is very hazy but i think their goal came from a free kick.
Probably got the programme somewhere.

I was at that game and still have the program - it was purple.

I swear Mad Cyril does this thread once every six months.

I basically was 16 when we had Cosenza away. few of us decided to go. Due to a rail strike we got stuck in Paris for three days and totally missed the game. Would tell the story but sure everyone has heard it.

Back